+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Messenger Update Brings Some Useful Messaging Functions

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Facebook Messenger Update Brings Some Useful Messaging Functions

Facebook introduced a standalone messenger application for iOS, which has the same basic functionality of the messenger function from within the Facebook application itself, only with some added bells and whistles. The application is free and can be downloaded from this link and requires a Facebook account to sign in and use.

Today the application has been given a new update (version 1.7), which is free for all users new and existing. The update was released to improve the user interface of Facebook Messenger by adding some extra features to the way we interact with the person we are messaging.

The first major part of the update has to do with the ability to see when the other person is typing (indicated by an ellipses, or three dots when the other user is typing), a feature that has always been able to use on the desktop version of the Web site, but not in the app. The other major part of the update gives Facebook Messenger the feature of showing the message sender when the reader actually reads the message with a read receipt. This is good because now we will know when our friend gets our message and is displayed by a check mark as shown in the example image above courtesy of 9to5Mac.

Other additions in the new update include the ability to see where a message is sent from (assuming the other user has location services enabled for Facebook Messenger) and some bug fixes to improve the stability of the application. If you have Facebook Messenger installed, the new update is recommended for your own benefit. If you don't have the Facebook Messenger application installed and you use Facebook, be sure to give it a try.

Sources: 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I hate the other person knowing when I opened their message, because then it seems to pressure you into responding sooner. Since the app doesn't tell the other person how your really busy and only had time to look at it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    I hate the other person knowing when I opened their message, because then it seems to pressure you into responding sooner. Since the app doesn't tell the other person how your really busy and only had time to look at it.
    Agreed 100% Yet another stupid move on Facebook's part...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Better add an update to disable read receipts like every other messaging app!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another good reason to dump Facebook. It's been a little tough, but surviving

I hate not having ABSOLUTE privacy control. And this will be another tweak that Zuckerberg has added to create drama amongst people, friends, relationships, etc. "You read my text, why didn't you respond?"

Create a messenger tool...fine. Leave it at that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

While I can see where sending a read receipt can be intrusive, I actually like knowing when someone reads my messages. This way if the person doesn't respond I can call him/her on it.

Thanks

they know it reached your know but no read notification, it could have sat there on your phone for hours before u saw it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post

This mimics the blackberry messenger app in every way now!

Thanks

I just want to be able to tag people on the fb app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Better add an update to disable read receipts like every other messaging app!!!!
    I have a feeling that someone will make an update or crack for that.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    While I can see where sending a read receipt can be intrusive, I actually like knowing when someone reads my messages. This way if the person doesn't respond I can call him/her on it.
    Which is exactly why so many people are against this, so that they can distance themselves from people like you
    It Takes One To Know One