Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Probe Haptic Touchscreen Fingertip Feedback

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Continues to Probe Haptic Touchscreen Fingertip Feedback

Now that we can rule out a liquid metal iPhone any time soon, what's the next big revolutionary change coming to a near future iPhone refresh? Today, we're learning more about a futuristic technology that may be closer to implementation in the iPhone than most of us had previously considered.

Apple continues to express a relentless fascination with touchscreen technology that would make it possible for iPhone owners to do more than just touch the screen of their devices. In addition, they would also be able to receive "feedback through their fingertips" via various textures presented through the haptic touchscreen.

This week, a freshly uncovered patent application from Apple shows that the iDevice maker is interested in ways of making the iPhone screen offer a variety of tactile sensations. The application, titled "Methods and Systems for Providing Haptic Control," describes a so-called tiered haptic system. The effect, ultimately, would be the ability to present different touch experiences through the stacking of haptic elements.

Although added sensory attributions likely don't rank too highly on the must-have list of demands by iPhone fanatics (4G LTE connectivity is probably a higher priority), there would be no shortage of valuable and innovative applications for such technology, should it ultimately find a home on the iPhone.

And only time will tell if that prospect will manifest into reality. The rumor mill and Apple's own patent inventory suggest that it certainly may happen - and soon.

Source: Apple Insider

Technology is so cool.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

They better add some new feautures, instead of just a new processor/camera.

I want them to make another iPod Touch, so we can also enjoy lots of RAM (tweaks), graphic capabilities, and a more pleasureable experience. Come on Apple, don't forget about us!

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin9001 View Post
    They better add some new feautures, instead of just a new processor/camera.

I want them to make another iPod Touch, so we can also enjoy lots of RAM (tweaks), graphic capabilities, and a more pleasureable experience. Come on Apple, don't forget about us!
    +1
    Also, didn't the blackberry storm have some kind of touchscreen similar to this?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

yep, all i want is more ram, better processor and LTE, see all i have is the iphone 4. Did not get the 4s.

Give me a bigger screen also

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    +1
    Also, didn't the blackberry storm have some kind of touchscreen similar to this?
    Yeah it did, it was really strange...

Thanks

It will be revamped..they have yet to make more than two phones generations look the same. The internal hardware is also always upgraded ala 3G to 3GS and 4G to 4S. Just excited as to what they have under their sleeves..excited!!