+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype 4.0 for iOS Released With Enhanced User Interface and More

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Default Skype 4.0 for iOS Released With Enhanced User Interface and More

Ever since a number of recent updates to the mobile iOS Skype application, it has been widely regarded as, "unstable" and, "unusable." This was due to the application’s extremely slow response speeds and buggy interface. For many, the application would simply crash upon startup or loading would be so slow the user would rather hop on their computer to use Skype.

Today, a new version of Skype for iOS (4.0) comes to the plate to try and make the application better. With improved stability, an enhanced user interface (UI), and some more awesome features added, Skype for iOS may finally be tolerable for its users. One of the main new features, however, is the ability to move around your own video preview while you are in the middle of a Skype video call with someone, similarly to how you can move your FaceTime video preview while in a FaceTime call.

The new enhancements to the Skype User Interface are pretty neat as well; it includes a brand new icon and a brand new sign-in screen, as well as a softer color texture all-around the application:

For the most part, the mobile Skype application for iOS is starting to adopt a more Skype-like user interface and less of an iOS-like user interface. Just a few updates in the past, back buttons and other controls would have the iOS appearance, but now they are made with Skype’s own design. It also appears that most of the new user interface changes affect iPhone and iPod touch users, but many parts of the iPad's user interface remain untouched.

To help combat any instability problems that the Skype development team may have missed, the Skype application will now automatically restart if it crashes. This will make the lazier people happy, as they won’t have to go through opening the application manually once it crashes. The good news is, making the application crash will be harder to do now with the update due to the stability improvements. Accessibility has been improved as well as some other minor bug fixes.

The Skype application is free in the App Store and can be downloaded from this link.

Sources: App Store

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It also appears to be jailbreak safe on my 3GS iOS 5.0.1 jb untethered with redsn0w. I also have xCon installed & Skype worked just fine after the update.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

call be blind but its the same icon lol

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captainjman2 View Post
    call be blind but its the same icon lol
    Color shading is different; much darker.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks they added quite a few ads on many pages.

Thanks

I hope they fix the biggest bug of all: showing users offline when they are in fact logged in and even when two users are online, one calls the other and Skype at the other end doesn't get the call. This happens to us about 70% of the time.

*T*
    Thanks

Umm, how is this considered a major update? Looks like a bunch of big fixes to me

Thanks

I think the interface is better. But I wish they would have fixed the lag in the chat view. Also, what does it mean by "ability to move own video preview"?
    Last edited by Zokunei; 04-30-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I get this version is only available on Unmodded iOS lol wankers

iPhone? More like MyPhone redwolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    I hope they fix the biggest bug of all: showing users offline when they are in fact logged in and even when two users are online, one calls the other and Skype at the other end doesn't get the call. This happens to us about 70% of the time.
    agree, its messed up!
    ModMy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c14rlf View Post
    I get this version is only available on Unmodded iOS lol wankers
    It warns you that it's 'not supported', but it still runs.

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Oh, I forgot that was the case... I have gotten used to trying to ring up people I want to talk to even when they show offline!