+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Auto App Killer - Keep Your iPhone's RAM Free

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Auto App Killer - Keep Your iPhone's RAM Free

Whether or not you agree with the way iOS handles multitasking, you cannot escape the fact that it still uses a lot of your memory; iOS suspends your applications in the memory. If you are constantly running on low memory and experiencing bottlenecked speeds and poor performance, then maybe you could use a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Auto App Killer by iOS developer ipodtouchmaster. Auto App Killer attempts to make it possible for you to manually control your memory for the best performance.

The developer, ipodtouchmaster, explains how Auto App Killer is a better alternative to the automatic memory handling that iOS has:
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchmaster
    When you close an application by hitting the home button, the app does not completely close but merely moves into the background (for quick access later). iOS will let you leave as many applications open in the background as you have free RAM. Each backgrounded application is still loaded into the RAM, just taking up space, and waits there until killed. When you try to open an application that requires more RAM than available, iOS will close a background application(s) until just enough RAM opens up to successfully run the app. So after enough time your device will remain at a very low level of RAM until you end up respringing or rebooting to free the applications from memory.

Auto App Killer resolves this problem
    Since Auto App Killer has the main purpose of giving you manual control over your memory, it wouldn’t be complete without a preferences pane in the Settings application so you can actually set your own manual settings. Luckily, that’s exactly what you will find. The preferences pane is shown below, with the option to choose how much free memory should be left before Auto App Killer takes over. It also includes a feature to auto-kill any application you close out of with the home button instead of causing it to go into the background – this can also help save memory if you’re not a chronic multitasker.

In short, Auto App Killer lets you use the automatic iOS memory saver to your advantage, by setting a manual memory limit for applications to start clearing instead of letting iOS background applications and wait to start clearing applications until your memory is completely full. In turn, you should notice a smoother iOS experience with crisper animations, less crashes, and faster loading speeds.

It is noted in Cydia that applications running in the background won’t be closed and only suspended applications will be closed. This means any VoIP call applications, music applications, GPS applications, and other applications of this nature that will run in the background will remain running even as Auto App Killer starts freeing your memory for you.

For now, Auto App Killer only works on the iPhone and iPod touch and is not compatible with the iPad. It also requires that you be running iOS 5 as no older firmware is supported. If you want to speed up your iOS device and keep things from slowing down as your memory starts getting filled, give this tweak a try.

Name: Auto App Killer
    Price: $1.49
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5, iPhone or iPod touch
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: ipodtouchmaster
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't you just use disable multitasking via winterboard. Or springtomize? Shouldn't have to pay

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But not all of us want to completely disable multitasking. I like this one - it's customizable enough to be useful while still keeping out of your way, like iOS stuff SHOULD work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Can't you just use disable multitasking via winterboard. Or springtomize? Shouldn't have to pay
    You would have to pay for Springtomize.

Thanks

Yeah, but not winterboard.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Yeah, but not winterboard.
    Not everyone wants to completely disable multitasking.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

Springtomize. Doesn't work. When I tried disabling multitasking in springtomize. It came up with a black wallpaper and my dock was missing icons. I also tried doing via Ifile into core services and that screwed everything up. I guess this tweak will work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Springtomize. Doesn't work. When I tried disabling multitasking in springtomize. It came up with a black wallpaper and my dock was missing icons. I also tried doing via Ifile into core services and that screwed everything up. I guess this tweak will work
    You have to turn the capabilities you want to to
    Stay on with the killswitch and leave the switches off for the things you want disabled

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This tweak is awesome but I wish the minimum RAM went down to like 15mb than 75mb. My iPod usually runs under 75mb with a couple apps running. I don't want every app I'm running to quit. Awesome tweak though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    just waste...
    tried it,,,, after the specified available ram, teh app starts killing the new apps, adn teh old apps remain stagnant in the memory, while it should function as, apps should start deleting from back to front...

Thanks

Just get SwitcherCleaner. It works great and it's free!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

Works great, thank you! The iPod Touch is horrible on RAM. Just horrible.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WeeKillBackground...? Works with Notif Center and is free...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It would be much better with a option that allow you to add some apps that you allow to stay in backgroud( aka Skype) ! Right now if the tweak it's on default it kills all started apps! I am on 3GS

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this app is great!

Thanks
    KillBackground works the best, It instantly kills verything in the BG