Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chomp Compatibility for Android Pulled By Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Chomp Compatibility for Android Pulled By Apple

In early 2012, rumors before an eventual confirmation surfaced that Apple had acquired discovery app Chomp to help bring about search improvements to the App Store.

Not surprisingly, Apple now wants to keep the gem that is Chomp all to itself.

Since February, when Apple bought Chomp for an estimated $50 million, little changed with the popular mobile and web app. Chomp still used a nifty little algorithm to sift, sort, and organize apps in order to recommend them to users based on what the mobile device owner was looking for.

Business as usual, however, has officially ended. According to published reports Friday, Chomp no longer serves up suggestions for iOS and Android apps. Apple has effectively cut off Chomp's Android feature.

Although this development will likely irk Android users, Apple is simply using its resources to best serve the iOS platform. And, without question, Chomp can be immensely valuable in removing some of the barriers to discovery that countless developers and app junkies have long complained about.

Source: VentureBeat

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

That makes me a little upset. I use iOS for development but I prefer Android over iOS. I hate Apple's app screening and apps get pulled for the most retarded reason.

I somewhat agree with Slim J. I hate apple's stupid standards for apps. It's so retarded. But iOS is so much better than Android.

Sounds a little anticompetitive to me. I think Apple is scared. What if Google stopped all traffic from searches to Apple specific stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I somewhat agree with Slim J. I hate apple's stupid standards for apps. It's so retarded. But iOS is so much better than Android.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've used both. Had three iPhones before going to android. I have an iPad at work with the current OS on it. I don't consider iOS to be better in any way.

Apple's not scared. Just childish. Still, they have nothing to fear from Android.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    iOS is only better when jailbroken. Stock iOS is safe but crap compared to stock android OS.
     Think Different.

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Sounds a little anticompetitive to me. I think Apple is scared. What if Google stopped all traffic from searches to Apple specific stuff?.
    the difference here, is that google is the company creating android, and as they've said they would keep android mostly apart from google, and that's what they're doing.

Apple BOUGHT a search algorhitm which it's planning to use in the app store. as is stated in the article: the app doesn't work for either iOS or android anymore.

It's not about being scared(as both companies have no reason to fear)
    It's about improving their stuff.

I'll admit it right now I'm an apple fan boy and totally love ios despite androids open sourceness and constant improvements being made to it. I love the way how ios offers something different to android smartphones which no matter what make and model nearly always look the same. There is no doubt which is better though just for its massive amount of apps available the AppStore surely wins it for apple alone?

Thanks

Sounds a little anticompetitive to me. I think Apple is scared. What if Google stopped all traffic from searches to Apple specific stuff?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've used both. Had three iPhones before going to android. I have an iPad at work with the current OS on it. I don't consider iOS to be better in any way.

If google did that, it wouldn't rlly affect anyone. The website is www.apple.com. Not hard to remember. Plus, it's the homepage on a bajillion apps. And, eBay and other sites have links to apple. Besides, google would lose tons of ad revenue by doing that. And, ppl wanting to search apple might use a different search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAOS23 View Post
    the difference here, is that google is the company creating android, and as they've said they would keep android mostly apart from google, and that's what they're doing.

Apple BOUGHT a search algorhitm which it's planning to use in the app store. as is stated in the article: the app doesn't work for either iOS or android anymore.

It's not about being scared(as both companies have no reason to fear)
    It's about improving their stuff.

I believe the bit about it not working for iOS too was a typo. And, what's to say they'll use it in the app store? They could put it in Siri, which is practically a search engine by itself. Why doesn't apple make their own search engine is my suggestion. I guess google subsidies
    Last edited by *T*; 04-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks

My opinion is if you don't jailbreak an iPhone why own it. Its not giving you any revolutionary experience without the jailbreak. All iPhones do the same functions. Jailbreaks is what sets it apart. No offense, i've owned android phones(G1 was my first) and i thought it was great until i used an iPhone. Im not a fanboy, I just prefer the best..android is still choppy and unstable and that's a fact..come on now!!!!

What if Google stopped all traffic from searches to Apple specific stuff?
    Wouldn't faze me, I use Yahoo.