Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Sparrow+ - Make Sparrow Your Default iOS Mail Client

Default [Review] Sparrow+ - Make Sparrow Your Default iOS Mail Client

Do you like the Sparrow e-mail client ($2.99 in the App Store) better than the default iOS Mail application? A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed Sparrow+ by iOS developer FreeManRepo will let you use the Sparrow mail client as the default e-mail client for iOS so you don’t have to use the Mail application anymore. It also comes with a few extra surprises...

Everything begins in the Settings application – the home of the Sparrow+ tweak’s preferences pane after you have installed it. From there you will be able to enable Sparrow as your default e-mail client using a simple enable and disable switch and you will be able to test it to see if Sparrow works as your default e-mail client:

Once you enable the tweak, Sparrow will prompt you instead of the Mail application every time you tap on a mailto link, which ultimately means this is like having Sparrow integrated right into iOS. Sparrow will then launch with a draft opened up so you can type in your e-mail and send it to the mailto link you tapped on:

Because Sparrow is now enabled as your default iOS e-mail client, you can now use Springtomize or some other method to hide your stock Mail application, as it will just be collecting dust on your home screen. If you do not think you will be using Sparrow, or you prefer the default iOS Mail application, then chances are you will not want to download this free jailbreak tweak.

The other little surprise that comes bundled up with Sparrow+ would be push notifications. Sparrow+ adds iOS 5 banner notifications and application icon badges just like the Mail application would if you had notifications for it enabled. Since Sparrow+ enables the push notifications for Sparrow, installing it will depend on the uninstallation of Sparrow Push from Cydia if you have it installed.

Making Sparrow the default iOS e-mail client plus adding push notifications is a powerful combination. It might be just enough to sway certain people into trying Sparrow for the first time. If you love Sparrow and you cannot stand the stock iOS Mail application, be sure to download Sparrow+ from Cydia and give it a try; after all, it's free!

Name: Sparrow+
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-5
    Requirements: Sparrow
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: FreeManRepo
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: FreeManRepo
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-27-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Gonna try this out

If it is set as the default e-mail client will it work with IntelliScreenX (opening mail in the notification center and marking mail as read to get rid of the badges)?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Good tweak, nice that it's free and that it enables push

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Push don't seem to be working

So if you want to disable push on this, do you disable 'notifications' within the main settings?

I like how you'll say that the Mail app will be collecting dust. That would be an interesting tweak if an app collects dust if you don't use it a lot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

push isn't working here either. do you have to do something special for it?

Doesn't matter. Push doesn't work on this. Bug?

Thanks

Yep can't git mine working either

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This definitely persuaded me to install Sparrow for the first time. Loving it so far.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does Sparrow allow HTML signatures? I couldn't find any info about this on first glance. This is the only thing stopping me from installing.

Thanks

Will sparrow work with mail enhancer pro? I love that tweak, wouldn't give that up for just sparrow.

Push doesn't work for me either I'm on 5.1, least with sparrow push it pushed it occasionally

Thanks

Sparrow push never worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Sparrow push never worked for me
    It does if I'm on a good 3G connection doesn't work too well on wifi

Thanks

Tried both a no go oh well back to
    Regular mail

Push not working. Garbage tweak

Quote Originally Posted by Rich. View Post
    If it is set as the default e-mail client will it work with IntelliScreenX (opening mail in the notification center and marking mail as read to get rid of the badges)?
    you are right, and I think it has to do with the push notifications not working on this tweak.

At the moment intelliscreenX is only seeing what the default mail program is doing. If I clear a message in Sparrow but not the default Mail program, intelliscreenX is seeing the uncleared default mail message which sucks.

Hopefully when this tweak really works it will sync in with intelliscreenX

This tweak is really good, and works well. But when I use it to forward email attachment from Klammer, the apps that opens EML, it fails. I really hope there will be an update for this in near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast