+ Reply
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should iOS Hackers Release the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1; Wait for iOS 6?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I think we should wait! If iOS 6 Patches it, then we just release it for 5.1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ismoothproject's Avatar
    Thanks

I think we should wait! If iOS 6 Patches it, then we just release it for 5.1
    ModMyi Rocks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

I never thought about the people that purchased a device with 5.1 already installed, thus leaving them in the dark regarding an untethered.

My first instinct would be that 6.0 would patch an untethered 5.1, so release.

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

IOS 5 has given all it had, siri, imovie and iphoto where the mayor achievements of it and now it ran it self out. IOS 4 was at it best when it reached 4.3.3 and they actually bothered to release 2 updates that almost no one wanted download because they had nothing new and there was never an untethered JB of either one. Oh and chances are jail breaking ios 6 is only the beginning, we don't know what king of problems the iphone will bring to jail breakers so i say wait.

Thanks

I think it'd be good to just release the untether for 5.1. It's kind of a pain with no jailbreak for the devices that were shipped stock with ios 5.1, like the new iPad, since they can't be downgraded...

And while I do think that it may very well be possible that the exploits we have now could be used to jailbreak ios 6, we never know if they will work... I mean just look how long it took to jailbreak the iPad 2

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I say wait for at least the Beta of iOS 6 to see what it has instore. Make an untethered for 5.1 just in case and release it if there is a game changer released by iOS 6 Beta 1. If you agree, comment Saying so!

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I think wait for iOS 6...it's getting harder and we are waiting longer for these Jailbreaks...
    I agree 100%!!!!!!!

And those who are saying release it now, will also be the ones complaining about a lack of jailbreak when ios6 is released.

Whenever they feel it's best to release it, is when "they" should do it. It's their work, it's not ours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    If the JB devs didn't make money on the aps that would make sence. However, cydia and co make money off the jb aps and tweaks. Some of us have paid for the aps so..... I think that those that profit should pay the devs to ensure there is a jb. I lost mine because of a hardware failure and I am sure there are others in the same boat. I say put it out there and worry about the ifs and ands when 6 drops.
    Let's be clear, Cydia (Saurik) != iPhone "Dream Team". The iPhone Dream Team provides the user with access to the file system (in a nutshell, among other things), they include Cydia because it is the only package manager out there, not because they are in bed with Saurik. The fact that the Dev Team doesn't accept donations would have me believe that they are likely not receiving kickbacks from Saurik. I wonder what the big name developers out there do to assist in the process of creating a jailbreak. I imagine that developing tweaks and exploiting vulnerabilities are apples and oranges, so I don't know how much they could be expected to do. Sharing profits won't necessarily make a difference, as finding an exploit can be like digging for a digital needle in a haystack of software.

Also, just because (most of us) have paid for tweaks/themes/etc, doesn't imply a guarantee of any sort in terms to jailbreaking.

However, releasing now and dealing with 6.0 when it comes is one of the few valid arguments made in these comments, I think
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs down releasing is better than waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    There's roughly a three-month drought between the first beta of a major iteration of iOS (e.g., iOS 6 beta 1) and its final public release. If one of the exploits in the current 5.1-ready jailbreak has been patched in that beta, it would require minimal effort to prepare and release a 5.1 jailbreak posthaste, allowing the community several months of jailbreaking glory (at that point). Releasing a jailbreak in the immediate future would ensure that Apple would seal all those holes with the first beta of iOS 6, if not an iOS 5.1.1.
    Is there even a IOS6 beta 1? If not then wont it be at least 3 months before IOS6 comes out. Then why wait for so long if the jailbreak isn't guaranteed to work on that IOS anyway where it looks like they have a 5.1 jailbreak already. If IOS6 beta 1 was released then when? Does it look like IOS6 will be released soon? I think Apple will wait for the iPhone 6 to be released before releasing IOS6 which looks like October if I read it correctly the other day. It's still April so do you want to wait till October for a jailbreak?

They also say about wasting 5 exploits if they release it now. Wont they be wasting 5 exploits when they release it anyway even if they wait for IOS6? How is waiting going to save those exploits?

If they wait and all the holes are fixed then they just wasted that time and they probably wont even release the 5.1 jailbreak so we are the ones that loose if they wait.
    If they wait and IOS6 is total crap like IOS4 was then a lot of people wont want to update and they will still be on 5.1 without a jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gotzaiPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I look at it this way, I don't know enough about coding to know if burning 5 exploits is a big deal or not, BUT, if JB devs are worried about it, I need to trust that some of these exploits may affect a iOS 6.0 JB.

The only thing that 5.1 gets me is a different camera button on my lock screen (already fixed by a tweak) and "4G" on my status bar. I can easily edit my software version file to install "5.1 only" apps, so that's a non-issue. With the new mobile substrate update, it's very easy to get out of a boot loop crash by just holding the volume up button during a re-boot (I've had to do it). I do feel for the 5.1 guys, but the needs of the many... (no Star Trek "needs of the one" retorts!!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hackers should wait till all US Carriers bring back unlimited data for smartphones!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ofcourse they should release 5.1! Why wait

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Is there even a IOS6 beta 1? If not then wont it be at least 3 months before IOS6 comes out. Then why wait for so long if the jailbreak isn't guaranteed to work on that IOS anyway where it looks like they have a 5.1 jailbreak already. If IOS6 beta 1 was released then when? Does it look like IOS6 will be released soon? I think Apple will wait for the iPhone 6 to be released before releasing IOS6 which looks like October if I read it correctly the other day. It's still April so do you want to wait till October for a jailbreak?

They also say about wasting 5 exploits if they release it now. Wont they be wasting 5 exploits when they release it anyway even if they wait for IOS6? How is waiting going to save those exploits?

If they wait and all the holes are fixed then they just wasted that time and they probably wont even release the 5.1 jailbreak so we are the ones that loose if they wait.
    If they wait and IOS6 is total crap like IOS4 was then a lot of people wont want to update and they will still be on 5.1 without a jailbreak.
    WWDC is June 11-15. They will most likely release the 6.0 beta near then. Remember the 5.0 beta dropped months before iPhone 4S came out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Release 5.1
    Having had my iPhone crash after installing an iPhone app from Cydia, my only option was to restore and upgrade to 5.1. It has been two weeks and I don't like the stock iPhone and am having jailbreak withdrawals and miss all the great jailbreak tweaks. I prefer not to wait until v6.0, but will patiently wait for an untethered jailbreak for 5.1.
    Last edited by mgmm1; 04-27-2012 at 07:28 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wait for iOS 6 to be fully released to the public and then if the iOS 5.1 exploits don't help to jailbreak iOS 6 then release untethered jailbroken iOS 5.1 because then Apple will have to wait until 6.0.1 or 6.1 to patch those exploits which will at least buy us more time until the next update.

Thanks

I'm on the fence on this one

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i will go for 5.1 Untethered because ios 6 may have patched it already and then it would be tough to downgrade for A5 devices..
    just release 5.1 untethered and then we can do with tethered jailbreaks for further ios till we get untethered..

release Untethered 5.1 a day before release of ios 6..so we can save 5.1 shsh and ios 6 jailbreak will not get affected..
    apple needs some days to patch it so they will preferably release ios 6 as it is and patch it in ios 6.x..
    Last edited by omkarbond_007; 04-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omkarbond_007 View Post
    release Untethered 5.1 a day before release of ios 6..so we can save 5.1 shsh and ios 6 jailbreak will not get affected..
    apple needs some days to patch it so they will preferably release ios 6 as it is and patch it in ios 6.x..
    You can save your SHSH and tickets without being jailbroken with tinyumbrella.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fabbuloso's Avatar
    Thanks

i say they should not listen anyone , do whatever they like.they know better than any of us.i dont think they would make a mistake on this one.lets just trust them.maybe this is selfish since im on 5.0.1 but.It would be alot worse if no jb comes out when there is ios6

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I was going to vote for iOS 5.1 but I he pointed out that they're going to be wasting exploits that could be used for the iOS 6 untethered jailbreak. I'm going to vote for them to wait If we wait, then we get the iOS 6 untethered jailbreak faster

Quote Originally Posted by fabbuloso View Post
    i say they should not listen anyone , do whatever they like.they know better than any of us.i dont think they would make a mistake on this one.lets just trust them.maybe this is selfish since im on 5.0.1 but.It would be alot worse if no jb comes out when there is ios6
    They do what they do for the users of iOS. So of course they want the opinion of the people they do all their work for.
    Last edited by JPili; 04-27-2012 at 03:50 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems like iOS 6 won't be out for a while. iOS 5 came out fairly recently, and look at the interval between 4 and 5

+ Reply
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast