+ Reply
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should iOS Hackers Release the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1; Wait for iOS 6?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apparently, none of you remember what happened with the shatter exploit. It was held back, leaked, and patched before it ever saw the light of day. They can hold back
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apparently, none of you remember what happened with the shatter exploit. It was held back, leaked, and patched before it ever saw the light of day. They can hold back if they want, or act like a child like Stephan Esser, but to assume the hole will not be plugged in ios 6 is not a good bet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Let look at the odd:
    1. release the JB and the chance Apple fix the exploit in IOS6 - 99.9%
    2. Wait until IOS 6 beta release(or GM), and JB will work - 50-50 chance

My take:
    send an email to Tim Cook, and ask him what is his view on the "mouse" & "cat" game.

EVO
    Thanks

I say wait..........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I would say wait, if you release it, Apple will download it, dissect it and fix the exploits for sure, at least this way there is chance that they won't.

Of course, if Apple wanted to put a stop to the jailbreaking activity, they could just create an unapproved Apps section of their store that all rejected apps automatically get put into. They could even build in a switch for the Genius bar to quickly remove all unapproved apps for testing purposes. Yes, there would be a warning whenever you entered the unapproved apps section letting you know that these apps will be removed if you take your phone in for service.

Yes, there would still be some people that would want to hack the phone to be able to say that they did, but overall, they would find that most people would stick with a stock phone.

Ultimately, this would put a stop to this cat and mouse game without admitting defeat, heck Apple might even make a few extra dollars in the process.
    If they are jumping to IOS6 and introducing Steve Jobs last, great iPhone project.. chances are the os will be radically updated.. there's a good chance the exploits in ios5.1 don't exist anymore, I can't know that of-course .. but I expect a major overhaul of the os .. I suspect Apple will mark the iPhone 5 as a sentimental nod to Jobs and make it a big event .. as it SHOULD be .. but in JB terms, that worries me .. it could seal off all known exploits ... and ofcourse, open new ones..

I think they should just release the 5.1 JB... even if it's tethered to hold some back..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg08 View Post
    DON'T WASTE, WHAT COULD BE ARE ONLY EXPLOIT TO JAILBREAK IOS6 RIGHT FROM THE START.
    Why hold an exploit for 6 months that may get closed up when OS 6 won't be released for what 6 months? It's ridiculous to keep everyone stuck on a firmware they can't use for 6 months to protect an exploit that may be no good anyway. What's the point of having an exploit if you don't/can't use it?
    Hmm...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

To those who aren't effected by it obviously don't care lol, I have a new iPad and I check this site multiple times a day with my fingers crossed wondering "Is today the day...? Dah!"

Since I have all my other devices jailbroken I guess I can wait if I have to but until this new iPad is liberated it really isn't all that fun to use knowing what a difference it would make. In any case, I'll put my own personal desires aside and trust that these geniuses will make the smart decision.... Yea right, RELEASE IT NOW! I'll paint your friggin' house! Until you do so this thing is like a really expensive paper-weight, sick of reading about law-suits and yadda-yadda, Idc about quarterly earnings lmfao! Release the kraken ayetty!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "There are untethered jailbreaks for iOS 5.0.1 and iOS 5.0 (iOS devices vary)"

Where can I find the specifics for a 5.0 Untethered Jailbreak? I have an iPod Touch 4th Generation iOS 5.0 and currently on a Redsn0w Tethered Jailbreak

Thanks

My *** a** friend who's an a** for not wanting to share how he managed to JB his iPhone 4s running 5.1 untethered. All he tells me is that he spent hours on messing with the current redsnow program and had it redirect god knows where and it worked... He says it's a process that takes about 10-15min. I told him to share it with the world or atleast one of the debs so they can help improve it to make it work faster but he's such an a** that he doesn't want to he tells me he doesn't want to become a big part of the JB world Where ppl would annoy him for help,video ex. On how to do it.

Over all he's an a** for not even doing mine that *****!!

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    My *** a** friend who's an a** for not wanting to share how he managed to JB his iPhone 4s running 5.1 untethered. All he tells me is that he spent hours on messing with the current redsnow program and had it redirect god knows where and it worked... He says it's a process that takes about 10-15min. I told him to share it with the world or atleast one of the debs so they can help improve it to make it work faster but he's such an a** that he doesn't want to he tells me he doesn't want to become a big part of the JB world Where ppl would annoy him for help,video ex. On how to do it.

Over all he's an a** for not even doing mine that *****!!
    sir, do you need a cola? I sense some tension

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    I say they wait till iOS 6
    I say wait till ios6 is released also do not waste it yet.

Save it for ios6
    Last edited by tridley68; 04-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMartins View Post
    I wish they would release the 5.1 jailbreak for the new ipad
    +1,

Thanks

Waiting is not easy ,but considering the unexpected of IOS 6.0 and when this will be released out, I be inclined to have the jailbrake for 5.1.
    Who knows what IOS 6 challenges will put toward us, you see that since the passing of the visionary Steve Jobs things are not so promising at Apple. Right now is just the aftershock keeping Apple afloat , we love Apple and our toys but soon will be boring to use same toys over and over again and who ever give the better toy for my money will be the next best thing. Long live Apple ( I hope) and the Dev Team.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Waren Buffett at age 11 purchased shares in a Co @ $38 each, after a short roller coaster ride he sold them for$40 each, a small but positive profit. A little while later those same shares he purchased soar to $200 each ! . . . Lesson learned: Patience

Thanks

It doesn't even matter. According to pd2g's blog, 56% of people would rather burn 5 exploits, than wait till 6. That's typical selfish Apple ******** if you ask me.

Thanks

I have a 4S 5.0.1, and my buddy has a 4S 5.1, both of us think it's be a good idea to wait until the betas to see if the vulnerabilities are still open, we are both content with our phones, jail broken or not, waiting is the smarter decision in my opinion, everyone wants a jailbreak yet they'd be much happier that they would be able to jailbreak almost immediately after the fresh iOS 6 is released

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No dog in the fight really, but I don't think you gain much by holding it back...larger updates with new features are the ones that tend to create the most holes. It may take time to find and/or develop them, but I'm betting that iOS 6 will have its own new flavor of crashes to work with....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    I say they wait till iOS 6
    Wait for IOS 6, don't waste the exploit and there isn't much new features in IOS 5.1

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Agree I say wait for 6.0!!! Don't waste the time and hopefully 6.0 comes out and works with what updated

Thanks

Ok, lets realize that these devs owe us absolutely nothing. In fact, WE are the ones that owe them. So many users (tweens?) b**ch and moan about how they had no choice to upgrade or bought an iDevice with 5.1 on it, so the devs have to release the next jailbreak or else. The logical person realizes that 5.1 is just a .1 update, incremental, and 6.0 will have a lot more features/improvements. Of course it would make sense to hold the exploits that they currently have very close, and hope that they will work for 6.0. Yes there is the chance that the exploits will be patched/moot when 6.0 beta 1 drops, but it is a risk that is worth taking. Especially since they will only need to test 6.0 to see whether they holes are still there. If not, then they may decide to release a 5.1 jailbreak, that is their choice.

True, those on 5.0.1 untethered don't care either way, and I am one of those. Even if I had an iPad3 (which I really want!) I would still say to wait on the jailbreak. People make the mistake of buying an iDevice assuming that there will always be a jailbreak available, but that is misguided. One should buy an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch because they like the device, jailbreak or not. Also people act like not having their device jailbroken is the end of the world and their device is just a brick. Contrary to what tweens argue, not having a jailbreak does not render a device useless.

At the end of the day, I am just thankful that these great people are still working on any jailbreak, for any device. It has been said, over and over again, that these folks do this as a hobby, it is not their job to supply the world with jailbreaks. For some reason, the same people time and time again whine about how the devs need to release a tool for fw ____ right now, then they say that the dev is being a tool/jerk/whatever for not following commands from what seem to be 14 year old girls.

Sorry, bit of a rant there, but come on folks. Lets have some respect for the people that give out these tools for FREE.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Ok, lets realize that these devs owe us absolutely nothing. In fact, WE are the ones that owe them. So many users (tweens?) b**ch and moan about how they had no choice to upgrade or bought an iDevice with 5.1 on it, so the devs have to release the next jailbreak or else. The logical person realizes that 5.1 is just a .1 update, incremental, and 6.0 will have a lot more features/improvements. Of course it would make sense to hold the exploits that they currently have very close, and hope that they will work for 6.0. Yes there is the chance that the exploits will be patched/moot when 6.0 beta 1 drops, but it is a risk that is worth taking. Especially since they will only need to test 6.0 to see whether they holes are still there. If not, then they may decide to release a 5.1 jailbreak, that is their choice.

True, those on 5.0.1 untethered don't care either way, and I am one of those. Even if I had an iPad3 (which I really want!) I would still say to wait on the jailbreak. People make the mistake of buying an iDevice assuming that there will always be a jailbreak available, but that is misguided. One should buy an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch because they like the device, jailbreak or not. Also people act like not having their device jailbroken is the end of the world and their device is just a brick. Contrary to what tweens argue, not having a jailbreak does not render a device useless.

At the end of the day, I am just thankful that these great people are still working on any jailbreak, for any device. It has been said, over and over again, that these folks do this as a hobby, it is not their job to supply the world with jailbreaks. For some reason, the same people time and time again whine about how the devs need to release a tool for fw ____ right now, then they say that the dev is being a tool/jerk/whatever for not following commands from what seem to be 14 year old girls.

Sorry, bit of a rant there, but come on folks. Lets have some respect for the people that give out these tools for FREE.

If the JB devs didn't make money on the aps that would make sence. However, cydia and co make money off the jb aps and tweaks. Some of us have paid for the aps so..... I think that those that profit should pay the devs to ensure there is a jb. I lost mine because of a hardware failure and I am sure there are others in the same boat. I say put it out there and worry about the ifs and ands when 6 drops.