Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MoPub: Apple's UDID Ban Translates to 24% Less Ad Revenue for App Developers

Thanks

Default MoPub: Apple's UDID Ban Translates to 24% Less Ad Revenue for App Developers

According to a study conducted by the mobile ad server MoPub, by rejecting apps which use unique device identifier (UDID) data, Apple is essentially cutting roughly 24% of developer ad revenue. It was stated that mobile advertisers previously used UDID data to track an ad’s effectiveness to create pricing models as well as measure performance and monetization. The ad companies were basically testing an advertisement’s effectiveness and value to decide how much to pay app publishers for ad space.

Jim Payne, the CEO and co-founder of MoPub feels that “the move away from UDIDs threatens advertising revenue that many publishers depend on in order to support their content creation and business.” He firmly believes that Apple needs to address the issue with an appropriate alternative because the damage to a publisher’s bottom line will likely be material if UDID data actually disappears. A three month study conducted by MoPub found that the disparity between publishers which use UDIDs compared to those who did not is an eCPM (effective cost per mille) average of 0.18 cents with app makers pulling in 0.76 cents and 0.58 cents respectively.

The whole issue of UDID data usage has been a hot topic as mobile privacy issues have been in the limelight because of consumers and lawmakers. A means of transmitting sensitive personal information without the knowledge or consent of users raised quite a bit of attention and caused Congress members of the U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce to send a series of letters to Apple CEO Tim Cook asking about what the company was doing to ensure the security of their iOS devices. It even went as far as requesting that Apple send a representative to Washington for a briefing on the company’s app developer policies and practices.

The Cupertino California company previously addressed the UDID issue in August 2011 when it announced plans to remove app publishers’ access to the data in iOS 5, but the functionality still has yet to be removed and currently remains in the latest version of iOS 5.1.

Source: MoPub

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Jim Payne, the CEO and co-founder of MoPub feels that “the move away from UDIDs threatens advertising revenue that many publishers depend on in order to support their content creation and business.”
    Or maybe he should respect privacy practices and update the revenue accordingly so these hard working developers are not getting screwed out of profits. I don't want some ad company with my UDID...

Not my problem.. Consumers pay AT&T or Verizon or whoever I'm not concerned about the ads. If I like an app I'll shell out the 99 cents to get rid of them anyway

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Or maybe he should respect privacy practices and update the revenue accordingly so these hard working developers are not getting screwed out of profits. I don't want some ad company with my UDID...
    +1
    My latest theme - -

thank God and the developer for 'Protect My Privacy' app which spoofs the udid number to apps...HAHAH take that!!!!!

it also protects your location and contacts from prying app eyes.

Who cares if they have your UDID?
    It's a random number which means nothing. Now developers are going to pass around your mac address. Feel better?

While I don't believe UDID or other identifiers like MAC addresses (which, btw, are even easier to spoof on a jail-broken device than a UDID), the point becomes utterly moot if you're blocking all those ads in the first place. I also have no problem buying an ad-free version if the price is reasonable, but seeing as how many of these ads out-right abuse people (not unlike how it is with regular browser ads, minus the fact they don't have a reliable ID, the closest being cookies which can be cleared), I find I have little choice but to block as many as possible.

If it was just about advertising X product, I wouldn't have much of a beef, but more and more advertising in general has become this sick game of tracking people usage habits and selling user information (there have been various apps that have been active sending home person info from devices, for instance) or ads that have other nefarious motivations, like those that are part out-right scams or even those web ads that carry malicious Javascript, which have the potential to do harm to desktop and mobile systems alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    According to a study conducted by the mobile ad server MoPub, by rejecting apps which use unique device identifier (UDID) data, Apple is essentially cutting roughly 24% of developer ad revenue.
    What's really sick is that these "advertisers" seem to think they are some how entitled to making money (crying/b!tching about it like 2 year olds instead of finding another way), as well as to our infos.
    Last edited by alanjf; 04-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Better still, make a policy that if you charge for an App, it must be completely free of all advertisements.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cmwade77 For This Useful Post:

alanjf (04-26-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

UDID and privacy is a real gray area. You are not identified, EVER, as the person you are, but rather with this ID, so that you can be shown specific content.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by Forgoten Dynasty View Post
    Who cares if they have your UDID?
    It's a random number which means nothing. Now developers are going to pass around your mac address. Feel better?
    It's not a random number by any means.

UDID=SHA1(Serial+IMEI+WiFi+BT)
    iPhone1, iPhone 2, iPhone 3,1, iPad 1, iPod 1, iPod 2, iPod 3, iPod 4 (Sept 2010)

UDID=SHA1(Serial+ECID+WiFi+BT)
    All new devices since Verizon iPhone 3,3 (Feb 2011) including iPhone 4,1, iPad 2, iPad 3

Good thing SHA1 is a oneway cipher or anyone with your UDID could calculate those 4 bits of info from your UDID.

Even with the SHA1 theoretical attack finding an equivalent hash won't allow the decoding of original info fed to SHA1. And finding equivalent hashes would take a very, very long time regardless.
    Last edited by zrevai; 04-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    thank God and the developer for 'Protect My Privacy' app which spoofs the udid number to apps...HAHAH take that!!!!!

it also protects your location and contacts from prying app eyes.
    Which app would that be again?

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha