+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint CEO: We Will Have Unlimited Data Even If the Next iPhone Supports LTE

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default Sprint CEO: We Will Have Unlimited Data Even If the Next iPhone Supports LTE

Following the release of the new iPad and the hardware within it supporting 4G LTE cellular connections, it can only be inferred that the next generation iPhone will follow its footsteps with the faster cellular data technology. This comes with both good and bad news Ė the good news being that users can experience faster loading speeds, but unfortunately this can bring bad news too as it will give the user the incentive to over-use their data on a capped data plan much faster than they would be able to on a 3G cellular network.

Some more good news is Sprint CEO Dan Hesse openly stated to CNET that whether or not the next iPhone harbors 4G LTE cellular technology, Sprint will continue to offer their unlimited data plans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hesse
    I'm not anticipating the unlimited plan would change by that point, that's our distinctive differentiator. Frankly, itís a marriage made in heaven. Weíre clearly attracting customers from our competitors.
    Not so fast, Hesse!

While everything about this sounds good on Sprintís behalf, itís also very important to remember how many people will be able to take advantage of Sprintís 4G LTE cellular technology Ė or should I say, won't be able to. Right now, they are only working on bringing customers in Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, and San Antonio by mid-2012 as cited from Sprint's Web site. Compared to the rest of the United States, it is very obvious this will not cut the demand for 4G LTE cellular coverage.

While the next generation iPhone is not expected to launch until this fall, Sprint likely will not have extended their 4G LTE cellular coverage by the time it actually is launched, meaning most customers will still be stuck on unlimited 3G cellular services. For this reason, choosing which cellular carrier to go with will depend on the user's tastes for either speed or for unlimited data.

Are you one of the lucky ones living in an area where Sprint will offer unlimited data and 4G LTE cellular coverage?

Sources: CNET
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-25-2012 at 05:34 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"Are you one of the luck ones living in an area where Sprint will offer unlimited data and 4G LTE cellular coverage?" No one is lucky if they have sprint. Verizon FTW

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's too bad, I know people with Sprint 4G phones and they can't get 4G in my area. This would definitely be a reason for my to switch from Verizon (bc I'll probably pay less with Sprint) but without 4G coverage, it's not worth it. I guess I'll just suck it up and keep Verizon, regardless of how much my bill is.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd rather keep my unlimited 3G data on Sprint than leave for tiered 4G on any other network. Not to mention the fact i get more/better service on Sprint where i live. 3-4 bars inside my house, with AT&T i was lucky to get 2.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMod94 View Post
    "Are you one of the luck ones living in an area where Sprint will offer unlimited data and 4G LTE cellular coverage?" No one is lucky if they have sprint. Verizon FTW
    I had Sprint and they were pretty good.
    Switched to TMobile because of 3G to use out of the country, then switched to AT&T for the iPhone...
    I wouldn't mind switching back if I can see 4G coverage in my home.
    I just checked and there is 4G coverage in the streets, tempting only if the next iPhone GSM is unlocked so I can use GSM outside of U.S.

Thanks

At least they still offer unlimited

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

I would rather have unlimited 3G than 2gb of "unlimited" 4g.

Besides if you have 4g with a capped carrier you would be amazed at how fast it is you will use it more often and be capped in a week lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I fully agree, I have my iPhone 4 with Sprint (got 2 for 1 during Christmas time with my girlfriend) and we couldn't be happier.

Unlimited data = FTMFW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    I'd rather keep my unlimited 3G data on Sprint than leave for tiered 4G on any other network. Not to mention the fact i get more/better service on Sprint where i live. 3-4 bars inside my house, with AT&T i was lucky to get 2.
    + 1

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Based on their map (to be completed by 2014), they do plan to have some pretty good coverage. The east coast especially looks very heavily blanketed. Southern Maine and the rest of New England are covered virtually entirely. The Midwest is looking pretty good too. The west coast seems like they need some love though...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Network Vision should be completed by the end of 2013. LTE 4G will be hitting the first market areas in a couple months. But the network expansion will also be increasing data speeds and coverage around the board. There are a lot of new possibilities with the new cell site technology being deployed and the decommissioning of the iDen network freeing up it's respective spectrum. There are some interesting things going on at Sprint, so keep a look out.