+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Viddy Gets Celebrity Backing in Latest Round of Funding

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you're like me, you assumed the recent videos showing up in your Facebook news feed with the tagline “watched on viddy” or “shot with viddy” were just your stupid
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Viddy Gets Celebrity Backing in Latest Round of Funding

If you're like me, you assumed the recent videos showing up in your Facebook news feed with the tagline “watched on viddy” or “shot with viddy” were just your stupid friends getting suckered into clicking on some Facebook spam.

Well, I was wrong. It turns out Viddy is the latest video-sharing application and yesterday snagged some celebrity backing from Will Smith and Jay-Z.

Viddy didn’t get personal support from Smith or Jay-Z, but the production companies owned by both, Overbrook Entertainment (Smith), and Roc Nation (Jay-Z), joined other investors such as Shakira in a $6 million Series A round of funding. The round of investing announced in early February attracted traditional venture capitalists like Battery Ventures, Greycroft PArtners, and Qualcomm.

Viddy, released in late 2011, currently has over 10 million users and claims to be adding as many as 300,000 additional members a day. The courtship of Smith, Jay-Z and Shakira was a strategic move to help Viddy maintain momentum according to Brett O’Brien. The New York Times claims the celebrity use of social tool is usually a sign the service is maturing and is about to break out from early adopter phase and into the mainstream.

Viddy is essentially the Instagram of videos. The app allows users to take short 15 second clips, apply basic edits, apply a bunch of silly filters, and then share them with friends via Viddy, and the usual social network suspects. It does include a bevy of video specific feature as well such as audio metering, white balance control, focus, exposure, ability to add music and transitions, in addition to the filters. Videos can be commented on, followed, tagged, liked, the can trend, and users can follow others. It essentially appears to take every function of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, then smash them together into a single application.

The adoption numbers provided do seem particularly ridiculous though. If the app maintains its 300,000 user a day adoption rate, Viddy would have over 100 million users by next year. But, chances are if the company becomes that hot, Facebook, or another giant player in the industry will make Viddy the latest billion dollar acquisition.

Viddy is available in the App Store as free universal download.

Source: The New York Times

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

This app is terrible. I don't know how they do it. They hust keep getting backed by people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Just because celebrities use something, doesn't mean it's good. They aren't gods.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Just because celebrities use something, doesn't mean it's good. They aren't gods.
    Yea but stupid kids will go and use the app cause some loser like lil wayne does its kinda sad but o well

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    Yea but stupid kids will go and use the app cause some loser like lil wayne does its kinda sad but o well
    Hater.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    Well at the end of the day, lil Wayne is still rackin in more cash than you, so let's see who the loser is...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gagahah View Post
    Well at the end of the day, lil Wayne is still rackin in more cash than you, so let's see who the loser is...
    Money...the only measure of success in life.. :rolls eyes:

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I too just thought my friends were getting suckered into clicking on some Facebook spam, lol.

Thanks

I downloaded the app..now what?? haha! What a joke..its nothing new! Kind of like FaceBook Messenger..haha you can do the same thing from FaceBook NEXT> If your going to make an app..make a good one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Okay obviously just cause celebrities back it up doesn't mean it's good.. However! You can't hate an app 1. Cause of this article
    2. If you've never tried it
    3. If you don't even know how to use it
    4. Just cause its not as useful for you doesn't mean its a horrible app. It's like a teenager complaining about the pages or number app.. It's a complaint that means nothing to the value of the app

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I downloaded the app..now what?? haha! What a joke..its nothing new! Kind of like FaceBook Messenger..haha you can do the same thing from FaceBook NEXT> If your going to make an app..make a good one!
    Are you serious? Since when does Facebook have those features? Maybe I missed the boat or something, but if I did, I would love to know.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gagahah View Post
    Money isnt everything or anything lil wayne is only successful cause he sold his soul so if thats what it takes to be successful then im good

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    Money...the only measure of success in life.. :rolls eyes:
    I'm pretty sure lil wayne is more successful than you in life, no matter how you want to define success.
    "99 luft balloons"