+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Swipebright - Use the Status Bar to Adjust Screen Brightness

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Swipebright - Use the Status Bar to Adjust Screen Brightness

Screen brightness is a function most iPhone owners cannot live without. We are constantly moving around and that usually leads to some darker and some brighter places. Sometimes the ambient light sensor just is not responsive enough and we are inclined to adjust the screen brightness ourselves. Doing this regularly requires digging into the Settings application, however some jailbreak tweaks make it easier to adjust screen brightness such as SBSettings, IntelliScreenX, and Deck. By far the easiest way to adjust screen brightness we have ever seen is a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Swipebright by iOS developer IanP.

With the preferences pane for Swipebright shown above, you probably already understand what the tweak does – it permits you to adjust your screen brightness simply by swiping left or right on the status bar. Swipebright comes with some additional options, such as being able to enable the feature on the lock screen or restrict it only to the home screen or within applications where the status bar is visible. Swipebright also comes with a feature for enabling or disabling the tweak on demand.

Swipebright depends on Activator to use its features. The tweak depends specifically on the swipe right and swipe left on the status bar actions. If you have other functions relying on those Activator actions, you should probably change them to something else to make way for Swipebright. The last slider in the preferences pane allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the status bar to adjusting screen brightness. This allows you to keep yourself from accidentally adjusting brightness when you didn’t mean to. The higher the value the slider is set to, the harder it will be to adjust your brightness with Swipebright.

Since brightness control is in high demand for many iOS device owners, I can absolutely recommend this tweak to anyone seeking the feature. Swipebright works perfectly as advertised and it is very swift with changing the brightness of the display. Give this tweak a look!

Name: Swipebright
    Price: 99˘
    Version: 1.2.1-2
    Requirements: iOS 4+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: IanP
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia

Thanks

Good tweak, saw this one warlier today and bought it.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

Or you could just download Brightness Activator Action which is the exact same thing for free. Those preferences can be set in Activator with any action anyway, except the sensitivity.

To be clear I'm not criticizing the developer or reviewer; I'm just saying that it's a waste of money.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 04-21-2012 at 11:05 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Or you could just download Brightness Activator Action which is the exact same thing for free. Those preferences can be set in Activator with any action anyway, except the sensitivity.

To be clear I'm not criticizing the developer or reviewer; I'm just saying that it's a waste of money.
    Agree but for "except the sensitivity" part, how do you use "Brightness Activator Action" and never seen Increment option ?!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Brightness Activator Action does allow you to adjust the sensitivity. Go to Settings, Brightness Activator Action.

Thanks

I am perfectly aware of the increment setting. I'm pretty sure the sensitivity for this tweak is about how much you actually have to swipe across the status bar before it take action though. But I could be wrong.

This is what I base my belief on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    This allows you to keep yourself from accidentally adjusting brightness when you didn’t mean to.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 04-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks
    Why not get SBSettings and have more options than just brightness adjustment.

Thanks

This tweak goes more to the point, and have more features to adjust brightness.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've edited this to acknowledge my ignorance of how Brightness Activator works. I didn't realize another tap and slide loweres or raises the brightness the same increment. I still prefer Swipebright as it works just like the native slider. To each his own.
    Last edited by galavanter; 04-25-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks

*redacted*
    Last edited by Zokunei; 04-24-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is it me, or is SwipeBright preventing my Auto-Brightness setting from saving? Auto keeps getting turned back on. I have to constantly turn it back off.