+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [GIVEAWAY] Contact - The Application You Want for Easy Speed Dials

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [GIVEAWAY] Contact - The Application You Want for Easy Speed Dials

iOS has good contact management; all of your contacts are easily accessible from the Contacts application. An application dubbed Contact, from the App Store, can make reaching your contacts even easier. It works by placing speed dial icons on your home screen, as shown in the screenshot above. You can make these speed dial buttons do different things from invoking a text message to a specific contact, to starting a FaceTime or phone call with a specific contact, to starting a Skype call with a specific contact, plus much more.

The icons you add to your home screen are extremely customizable. You can use any icon color or style you want and there are a myriad of colors and styles to pick from. You can add banners, indicators, text, pictures, and much more to the icons to personalize them for specific people as this helps you distinguish between contacts when you use these icons to speed dial the contact of your choice. The icon customization process is performed from the Contact application you downloaded from the App Store and the user interface not only eye candy, but very responsive and intuitive. The icon customization interface is shown below:

After you have chosen your design, you will be asked to choose the action the home screen icon will perform when tapped. Each icon is capable of one of the following functions:
    • Call
    • SMS/MMS
    • Call + e-mail + SMS
    • FaceTime

After you choose your button style and function, you will be guided through the process of making the icon available on your home screen; this is done by providing a shortcut through the Mobile Safari Web browser. You will be prompted to tap on the “Add to Home Screen” button to add the shortcut to your home screen. You can name the shortcut whatever you would like, however we recommend the name of the contact for obvious reasons. The process is illustrated below:

The icon shortcuts work great – tapping on the button named, “Anthony” will launch the Messages application with my contact information filled out so I can send a text message to myself. Tapping on the button named, “Akshay” would launch the Messages application with Akshay’s contact information filled out so I would be able to fire off a text message to him the same way. The icon shortcuts would do the same thing for Skype, FaceTime, Phone calls, and e-mails except they would launch the appropriate application to take care of their tasks.

Contact also supports a new feature called VoiceAssist. This allows the user to make an icon for sending and reading text messages or firing off phone calls using their voice. It also does this for e-mail and Facebook or Twitter. This doesn’t compare with Siri as Siri is an iOS-wide feature and VoiceAssist is limited to your icon shortcut. Contact comes with a 14-day free trial for this service, but it will not remain free after your trial is up. It requires you to set up an account and also requires cell phone service.

Taking into consideration the eye candy user interface, fluid functionality, and myriad of options, Contact is a great application for people trying to make it easier to get in touch with their loved ones from their iPhone. Everything just works. Contact is currently on sale for 99, however it will soon elevate back to $1.99. You can buy the application yourself, or you can try winning one of TWO copies the developer was kind enough to give away to the lucky readers of ModMyi!

If you want to win, leave a comment below and complete the widget below and get the most points:

Sources: Mark Peterson – Co-Founder of tapfactoryapps
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 04-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks

It's good to see developer try to build something else besides games and bird-games.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winfis View Post
    It's good to see developer try to build something else besides games and bird-games.
    Ditto !!

Jh1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Now iPhone became a really "phone"

Thanks

Nice one
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I want a copy
    I need this app badly

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

certainly did !

Green Apple
    Thanks

I want a copy badly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jh1 View Post
    Now iPhone became a really "phone"
    certainly did !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a pretty great concept, and I would love to have this in my springboard!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is the BEST .99 cents I have ever spent on an app ! Voice assistant is a 15 day trial however, once the trial is over, then Siri will kick in If you don't win the giveaway, go for the purchase,,,,,you won't regret it !! and do it soon for it will be $1.99

Thank you so much for posting this app

Good luck to those that have entered the giveaway offer
    Last edited by lizzy954; 04-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Pretty cool idea.

Thanks

I bought this to try. I currently use CallMe for home screen dial (phone) icons, which works well, and Activator to open biteSMS from either Lock or Home screen. Contact, however, seems to have some delays built into it. After creating a speed dial icon and an SMS-MMS icon and saving them to the Home screen, they flash a couple of times before deciding to proceed. Takes about 2-3 seconds. Then the call is made. With biteSMS, after the text is sent, my screen goes black (status bar is still lit, though) until I push the Home button. That brings the Home screen back to life. My guess is that it is not using the phone to choose what to do and then do it, but is going to a server somewhere. I'd rather not have my messages and calls going through Contact's server. And the flashing and delay and blank screen are... annoying. It does do what it says, but seems to need some more work to get it working more smoothly. I don't plan to use it, as it ends up taking me more time for both texts through biteSMS (activator opens bite in less then a second and when it sends a text the screen doesn't blank) and calls using CallMe. Your milage may vary. Nice idea, though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    I bought this to try. I currently use CallMe for home screen dial (phone) icons, which works well, and Activator to open biteSMS from either Lock or Home screen. Contact, however, seems to have some delays built into it. After creating a speed dial icon and an SMS-MMS icon and saving them to the Home screen, they flash a couple of times before deciding to proceed. Takes about 2-3 seconds. Then the call is made. With biteSMS, after the text is sent, my screen goes black (status bar is still lit, though) until I push the Home button. That brings the Home screen back to life. My guess is that it is not using the phone to choose what to do and then do it, but is going to a server somewhere. I'd rather not have my messages and calls going through Contact's server. And the flashing and delay and blank screen are... annoying. It does do what it says, but seems to need some more work to get it working more smoothly. I don't plan to use it, as it ends up taking me more time for both texts through biteSMS (activator opens bite in less then a second and when it sends a text the screen doesn't blank) and calls using CallMe. Your milage may vary. Nice idea, though.
    Im the developer of this App. Would like to address some of your comments. As for an SMS/MMS icon 'flashing a couple of times', it does indeed happen only 'once' which takes about 0.5 second. After the icon is selected it brings up the 'webclip' that technically a webapp, it flashes white quickly before it opens Messagesapp. Also, your concern for Contact calling back home to a server is false. We took this route of utilizing the App to make the call is because the system will prompt you with an 'Alert' to confirm your call..which kills the 'speedy' process. So we use the app to directly place the call, since we dont need to do an alert.

No communication with our server is being made with any of your speed dials, everything is kept local.

Great Review Anthony !!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Same thing as IconProject, i will check it out and see if its worth it.

Thanks

Hi- Not denigrating your work or your app. I paid for it and I certainly didn't yell about it or try to get my money back. Just said it wasn't for me based on my use of it by reporting on my personal experience with it on an i4 running 5.0.1. Maybe the app has an "easier" time accessing the stock Messages app as opposed to biteSMS, but I tried several times, making a new icon each time to be sure it wasn't something I was doing, and I timed the opening/flashing: 2-3 seconds. It would go through several screens and then send, and then I would be left with a black screen with status bar at the top. After I tapped the Home button the screen would clear. I waited ten seconds the last time this happened, just to see if I was in too much of a hurry the first few times. Phone calls were also a bit slower than CallMe. Again, not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just a straight, no-nonsense, seat-of-my-pant empirical report re my experience.

As to the "server," I was just putting that out there to make sense of what it was doing while it was running through its screens. I just said "maybe." I'm glad it's not using a server, as that makes it that much more secure to use.

I hope people like your app but, again, just not for me at this time with my apps and equipment.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

looks lovely

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

looks sick! would love to try it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can't wait to try it out! xD

Thanks

God, tweaks are so crappy lately. Have developers ran out of ideas?