+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Software Update Killer - Completely Disable iOS 5 Software Update

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When you are jailbroken and happy with your untethered jailbreak, the last thing you want to do is accidentally update your software using Apple’s over the air (OTA) updating service.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Software Update Killer - Absolutely Disable iOS 5 Software Update

When you are jailbroken and happy with your untethered jailbreak, the last thing you want to do is accidentally update your software using Apple’s over the air (OTA) updating service. The service will badger you about updates endlessly, both with application icon badges, internal application indicators, and with the software update download and install pane. There are free jailbreak tweaks with the ability to disable the application icon badge, however to go more in depth with getting rid of these endless notifications, you will need to take a look at a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Software Update Killer by iOS developer Lunatik.

As illustrated by the screenshot above, installing Software Update Killer will completely decommission the download and install update button so it cannot be accidentally tapped on. Software Update Killer doesn’t stop there; it disables the application icon badges that appear on the home screen icon, however it goes a step further and also removes the internal Settings application badge as shown below:

The three functions Software Update Killer carries out are helpful for keeping those annoying notifications away, however it also doubles up to be a great precaution for assisting in keeping your iOS device from accidentally being updated by kids or someone who doesn’t know any better when the notification comes up.

Software updates will be found and displayed normally, only you will not be able to download and install them or be notified about them (until you remove the tweak); you will have to check for these updates manually. Software Update Killer has no options to configure from the Settings application and you will need to be running iOS 5 to install it since no older iOS versions support OTA updates. The tweak works perfectly and it would absolutely be useful for many people. Be sure to download it and try it out if you think it will be useful.

Name: Software Update Killer
    Price: FREE
    Verison: 1.0.0
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Lunatik
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia

Thanks

Good tweak, but one question...doesnt jailbreaking disables the ability to update OTA anyway?
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    one question...doesnt jailbreaking disables the ability to update OTA anyway?
    i was thinking the same thing

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Good tweak, but one question...doesnt jailbreaking disables the ability to update OTA anyway?
    From what I heard, people have been able to use OTA update and end up with a tethered jailbreak on the latest firmware. It's nothing I can confirm or deny as I've never tried it. However, whether or not you can use the feature, you can still tap on it and screw up your jailbreak.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks

Hmm, thanks for the info

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am running 5.1 untethered though I don't remember updating...

Thanks

Yea, right...you can only do that in a 3gs old bootrom...anyway, he didnt said you'd get untethered by updating

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Look like not working on iPhone 4S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [Review] Software Update Killer - Completely Disable iOS 5 Software Update-img_0021.jpg   [Review] Software Update Killer - Completely Disable iOS 5 Software Update-img_0020.jpg   [Review] Software Update Killer - Completely Disable iOS 5 Software Update-img_0022.png  
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 04-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Works here. It's been annoying me the whole time. I wonder if it was an increase in battery life not updating it always being there

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

When you are jailbroken and happy with your untethered jailbreak, the last thing you want to do is accidentally update your software using Apple’s over the air (OTA) updating service. The service will badger you about updates endlessly, both with application icon badges, internal application indicators, and with the software update download and install pane. There are free jailbreak tweaks with the ability to disable the application icon badge, however to go more in depth with getting rid of these endless notifications, you will need to take a look at a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Software Update Killer by iOS developer Lunatik.

As illustrated by the screenshot above, installing Software Update Killer will completely decommission the download and install update button so it cannot be accidentally tapped on. Software Update Killer doesn’t stop there; it disables the application icon badges that appear on the home screen icon, however it goes a step further and also removes the internal Settings application badge as shown below:

The three functions Software Update Killer carries out are helpful for keeping those annoying notifications away, however it also doubles up to be a great precaution for assisting in keeping your iOS device from accidentally being updated by kids or someone who doesn’t know any better when the notification comes up.

Software updates will be found and displayed normally, only you will not be able to download and install them or be notified about them (until you remove the tweak); you will have to check for these updates manually. Software Update Killer has no options to configure from the Settings application and you will need to be running iOS 5 to install it since no older iOS versions support OTA updates. The tweak works perfectly and it would absolutely be useful for many people. Be sure to download it and try it out if you think it will be useful.

Im having an issue here, I went into an apple store and I was having a prob with a replacement I-phone, switching over my info to the new phone, um, I'm very pissed because the lady updated my software and when I confronted her why she did it she explained the towers, and I'm like lady, wtf? My phone was a basic 4(sprint) firmware 3.0, and she updated my stuff to a 5.1. I was about to j/b my shyt that day! Anyone can I reverse this? # 2 I still have my old I phone 4 also that I transferred the info from. If I go back to that phone will it too,go automatically to 5.1?

Thanks

You are asking this on the wrong thread...anyway you can only downgrade if you have the shsh for that firmware...btw, you say you had an iphone 4 with 3.0?

Thanks

Now would be the time I would be seeing this...talk about luck like al bundy...sheesh.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romeo_herman View Post
    Look like not working on iPhone 4S.
    Works fine for me.

From what I heard, people have been able to use OTA update and end up with a tethered jailbreak on the latest firmware. It's nothing I can confirm or deny as I've never tried it. However, whether or not you can use the feature, you can still tap on it and screw up your jailbreak.
    It actually just gives you an error. Here is a video (allbeit on an iPod touch but I can confirm it's the same on a 4S).
    iOS 5.0 to 5.0.1 Jailbroken OTA Update - What Happens - YouTube
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice tweak - although I just deleted the OTA daemon with all the other slower downers
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Thanks

You are asking this on the wrong thread...anyway you can only downgrade if you have the shsh for that firmware...btw, you say you had an iphone 4 with 3.0?
    Well with all due respect, I understand that I am on the wrong thread I only have a couple of days left to send the original phone back an was just wondering of anyone knows how to um, downgrade? Or should I just go to the appl store and explain? Again?

Well the firmware is 3.0.04. Version 5.1(9b176) model 200LL
    Last edited by Kenn@rd.; 04-20-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn@rd. View Post
    Now would be the time I would be seeing this...talk about luck like al bundy...sheesh.
    Please refrain from quoting the entire article in your replies. You've done it twice. It makes it tedious to scroll.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMotua View Post
    I am running 5.1 untethered though I don't remember updating...
    There is no untethered jailbreak for 5.1 yet. You must be on 5.0.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin2590 View Post
    There is no untethered jailbreak for 5.1 yet. You must be on 5.0.1
    Yea, he's just trolling...unless he has a old br 3gs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When will untethered jailbreak come out for ios 5.1 A4 devices :-O

Green Apple
    Thanks