+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Claims Apple is Planning Thinner, Lighter Liquid Metal Next-Gen iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Report Claims Apple is Planning Thinner, Lighter Liquid Metal Next-Gen iPhone

Artistic approximation of the next-generation iPhone

The Korean publication ETNews threw out a “welcome to the future” Apple rumor today claiming Apple will use “liquid metal” technology in the next-generation iPhone.

"According to industry sources, the next flagship phones of the companies are expected to adopt unprecedented materials for their main bodies, that is, ceramic for the Galaxy S3 and liquid metal for iPhone5, both being thin, light and highly resistant to external impacts. The new phase of the rivalry is because neither one of them can get a decisive edge over the other solely with its OS and AP specifications, features or design," — ETNews
    Apple acquired the rights to the patented amorphous metal alloys when they purchased Liquidmetal Technologies in August of 2010. While there hasn’t been concrete proof of Apple using the liquid metal technologies in any of their device yet, rumors claiming use in batteries and SIM card tools have surfaced before.

While no concrete proof has emerged of Apple’s plans for this enticing metal technology, the possibility of a liquid metal iPhone proves once more that Apple is Skynet and we are that much closer to an army of iDevices becoming self-aware.

Source: ETNews [via 9to5Mac]

Thanks

I'm gonna be the first to ask, what difference would this make? What would it look like? It sounds really cool
    Last edited by Simon; 04-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,360 Times in 3,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dustin942000 View Post
    I'm gonna be the first to ask, what difference would this make? What would it look like? It sounds really cool

I second that. Concept photos??

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

"Liquidmetal alloys are a revolutionary class of materials that redefine performance, process, and design paradigms. Liquidmetal alloys represent the first enabling materials technology since the creation of thermoplastics and possess characteristics that make them superior in many ways to other popular high performance materials. First, they have an "amorphous" atomic structure, which is unprecedented for bulk structural metals. Second, they include a multi-component chemical compositions, which are optimized for various properties and processes. Finally, our metal alloys are the first commericially available metals with process technologies similar to plastics.

The technology of Liquidmetal alloys provides for the optimization of properties for specific applications by tailoring the combination of process, chemistry and atomic structure. The technology of Liquidmetal alloys is proprietary and covered by numerous existing or pending patents."

More from their webpage below.

http://www.liquidmetal.com/technolog...es-comparison/

To sum it up....it's a badass, revolutionary technology. Our phones will be extremely strong, damage resistant, and lightweight.
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 04-18-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    "Liquidmetal alloys are a revolutionary class of materials that redefine performance, process, and design paradigms. Liquidmetal alloys represent the first enabling materials technology since the creation of thermoplastics and possess characteristics that make them superior in many ways to other popular high performance materials. First, they have an "amorphous" atomic structure, which is unprecedented for bulk structural metals. Second, they include a multi-component chemical compositions, which are optimized for various properties and processes. Finally, our metal alloys are the first commericially available metals with process technologies similar to plastics.

The technology of Liquidmetal alloys provides for the optimization of properties for specific applications by tailoring the combination of process, chemistry and atomic structure. The technology of Liquidmetal alloys is proprietary and covered by numerous existing or pending patents."

To sum it up....it's a badass, revolutionary technology. Our phones will be extremely strong, damage resistant, and lightweight.
    Meaning apple won't put in their phones yet lol, only because it seems like anymore rumors are just that. I just want another jailbreak for my 4s right now lol but I'm not gonna nag hahah

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It could be made out of titanium, it will still be a small screen, have terrible battery life and sport it's aging OS - other devices are catching up, it needs to evolve.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It sounds cool, but how liquid can this "liquid" metal be?

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

It will allow the iPhone to morph into different forms. Including knives, and stabbing weapons.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epikarus View Post
    It can be injection molded like a plastic. It is interesting the first theoretical aplication for this technology was for anti-tank rounds for the Abrams and other 120mm tank guns. It was considered to replace DU shells.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epikarus View Post
    It will just look and feel like a normal metal by the time we see it. It can be melted and molded like plastics. You can use different processes to make the end product have properties you desire(resistance to electricity, ferrous or nonferrous, how it conducts and holds heat, etc)

I would think apple would want a hard outer shell with a soft core to take impact while resisting scratching.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post

so I guess that my I phone won't transform into an evil man and try to kill me( in my Arnold voice" get outta dere") "come wit me if you want to live"...smh.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    It could be made out of titanium, it will still be a small screen, have terrible battery life and sport it's aging OS - other devices are catching up, it needs to evolve.
    You have a legitimate opinion. Next time share that opinion on a website that is NOT exclusively all things iProduct. People like you linger on websites like this one solely to post asinine comments like this one and nothing more. You don't contribute anything of worth. Its annoying and you know it. Please stop.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    It will allow the iPhone to morph into different forms. Including knives, and stabbing weapons.
    The only post worth reading. That was hilarious. As for the thread. Its a rumor. Moce on

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    you have a legitimate opinion. Next time share that opinion on a website that is not exclusively all things iproduct. People like you linger on websites like this one solely to post asinine comments like this one and nothing more. You don't contribute anything of worth. Its annoying and you know it. Please stop.
    agreed 1,000 %!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Slimz has a point, who cares what it's made of if at the end of the day we get the same old design. The thing could be be made of pure diamond but then it's not going to do me any good if it has that stupid 3.5 inch screen. Oh! and they better use the same display tech as the new ipad on their next phone meaning in having the same color accuracy and saturation.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    You have a legitimate opinion. Next time share that opinion on a website that is NOT exclusively all things iProduct. People like you linger on websites like this one solely to post asinine comments like this one and nothing more. You don't contribute anything of worth. Its annoying and you know it. Please stop.
    This post is more ridiculous than the one you responded to. Why? You fed the troll. People were just ignoring it. Why couldn't you? GG

Thanks
    Everytime apple bring new changes to us, I like this liqiud metal material design though I don't know what it exactly is. I hope apple to change this class material on iphone4, it is so delicate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see what the big deal is. It's more of a breakthrough for Apple's bottom line than product design. The liquid metal is injected into molds. This allows for thinner, more intricate one piece designs. But it's also way cheaper and way faster than CNC machining. I'd imagine liquid metal mold injection is at least 50% more efficient than machining. I'm sure we'll see some "revolutionary design" that wasn't possible with CNC machining, but I think it's more of a step in the manufacturing process than design.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. It's more of a breakthrough for Apple's bottom line than product design. The liquid metal is injected into molds. This allows for thinner, more intricate one piece designs. But it's also way cheaper and way faster than CNC machining. I'd imagine liquid metal mold injection is at least 50% more efficient than machining. I'm sure we'll see some "revolutionary design" that wasn't possible with CNC machining, but I think it's more of a step in the manufacturing process than design.
    +1

[