+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mobile Substrate Gains Useful Substrate Disable Function

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Default Mobile Substrate Gains Useful Substrate Disable Function

Saurik has been busy today, updating not only the popular theming platform WinterBoard, but also issuing an update to Mobile Substrate, which brings a powerful new feature to jailbreakers. Mobile Substrate is an important package just about all if not all jailbreak tweaks rely on. If you have ever had your device respring into safe mode before, then you are already familiar with Mobile Substrate and you understand the fact that it helps to protect you from fatal conflicts between tweaks or from crashes by giving you back control over your iOS device when it crashes.

We have seen it before where a jailbreak tweak causes a boot loop on the iOS device forcing the user to pretty much restore their iOS device to get it functional again. Todayís update comes with a new feature allowing the jailbreak user to hold down on the up volume button while the iOS device boots up to disable substrate and get into a state where the jailbreak user can launch Cydia and remove the troublesome package wreaking havoc on their iOS device.

Saurik goes on to say if your jailbroken iOS device doesn't have any volume buttons (like the first generation iPod touch) or maybe your up volume button is broken, you can use the controller on your Apple headphones to perform the same task by holding down on the 'clicker.'

While itís unfortunate to say it, some jailbreak tweaks are simply poorly written and cause conflicts with other tweaks because of it. This new Mobile Substrate feature will help anyone with tweaks installed on their iOS device keep it up and running even against most seemingly hopeless odds. The update is highly recommended to all jailbreakers, so go and grab it today!

Sources: Saurik

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Curryking (04-16-2012)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad this wasnt available when I had to restore when I had a bad tweak...

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Very useful feature, already updated
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This should have been implemented a looooong time ago.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wish this was available from the beginning, but I'm very grateful its here now. Thank you Suarik.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you kindly. This has fixed my problem. Alongside the winter board update. Good work like always.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Great work saurik now for your next update how about a tab that shows your installs sorted by date and time it was installed or updated. For those people that don't install just one tweak at a time so we can figure out which one might be messing up our phones. Thanks for all the hard work you do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Am I the only one whose time isn't showing up on status bar after this update? It only shows in some apps but not all of them. If this isn't the problem I think Winterboard is causing it because it happened after I updated both of them. Anyone know a solution? Thanks

Thanks

Same thing happened to me, I managed to fix it by doing respring and reboot a couple of times

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy82335 View Post
    Am I the only one whose time isn't showing up on status bar after this update? It only shows in some apps but not all of them. If this isn't the problem I think Winterboard is causing it because it happened after I updated both of them. Anyone know a solution? Thanks
    The Winterboard update includes a fix for time styling (see the ModMyi post), which had been broken for a while. If you have a theme installed that has time styling, the styling was inactive with the old Winterboard version and is active with the new Winterboard version. If your time looks weird, the theme probably just needs to be updated a little bit.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Haha I already had that exact command in my activator I learned to always have a safe mode enabler ready at all times ever since I had to restore)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Too bad this wasnt available when I had to restore when I had a bad tweak...
    What'd you install, anyway?

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Where was this when I installed winterboard a couple months ago on my 4s and had to restore. Haha. Great update. Can't wait.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 834 Posts

Damnit! I needed this only a few days ago...FML

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank gawd for this! My newly jailbroken iPod (about 8 hours ago) screwed up after installing NCRotationLock and started looping after I reloaded. This got me back up so I could remove the tweak.

Thanks

There goes app locking, device security, alternate passcodes, etc. bye-bye privacy. Great feature, unfortunate downsides. At least it saves devices from having to restore.

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    There goes app locking, device security, alternate passcodes, etc. bye-bye privacy. Great feature, unfortunate downsides. At least it saves devices from having to restore.
    These downsides already existed - if a device crashes into Safe Mode (or is put into Safe Mode using SBSettings or similar), all tweaks are disabled. Those tweaks also aren't active if a device has a semitethered jailbreak and it reboots without booting tethered.

On its page in Cydia, AndroidLock XT includes a warning that it isn't as secure as the default passcode system, and other similar tweaks should probably include notes like that too (if they don't already).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brittag View Post
    These downsides already existed - if a device crashes into Safe Mode (or is put into Safe Mode using SBSettings or similar), all tweaks are disabled. Those tweaks also aren't active if a device has a semitethered jailbreak and it reboots without booting tethered.

On its page in Cydia, AndroidLock XT includes a warning that it isn't as secure as the default passcode system, and other similar tweaks should probably include notes like that too (if they don't already).
    Yeah, but as long as you had stable tweaks and had SBSettings' Activator action set to everywhere but the lock screen, it wasn't a problem. This is far easier - hard reboot, hold button down.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have something now that kill my phone on reboot. Not sure what it is, but I've had to restore 3 times because of it. This is going to be great if the time comes that I have to reboot. Maybe I can find the sucker and remove it!