+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Silently Unlocking In-Contract iPhones for Deployed Service Members

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
As AT&T so generously offered to begin unlocking customers’ iPhones after their two-year contract is expired this Easter weekend and beyond, it turns out that they are also silently unlocking
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T Silently Unlocking In-Contract iPhones for Deployed Service Members

As AT&T so generously offered to begin unlocking customers’ iPhones after their two-year contract is expired this Easter weekend and beyond, it turns out that they are also silently unlocking in-contract iPhones for deployed United States servicemen – the best part is AT&T is doing it out of the kindness of their hearts as they aren’t required to do so by any laws.

Citing MacRumors, the eligible servicemen for the free AT&T unlock include deployed airmen, Marines, sailors, and soldiers. We aren't sure how likely people are to choose to attempt joining the armed forces and getting deployed just for a chance at a free iPhone unlock, however this nice gesture by AT&T illustrates that they are willing to meet people halfway for a bit of brave work.

The unlock by AT&T is, of course, for AT&T GSM iPhones only. Even though the iPhone 4S is a world phone capable of both CDMA and GSM networks, AT&T probably will not unlock it for you if you are using another carrier such as Sprint or Verizon for cellular service for obvious reasons.

If you know a deployed serviceman or servicewoman with an AT&T iPhone, make sure to give them a shout out so they can take care of their business!

Sources: MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks

As a vet of OEF I can say this will be appreciated by veterans and will undoubtedly lead to more service men and women going thru AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I never trust ATT with their kindness, most likely rebuild their image for their 2nd wave of merger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 884 Posts

Not sure what image ATT needs to repair. It's a business; everyone of them has ups and downs, and fans and haters. I have never had an issue with ATT with all the years I have been with them. Never had an issue with customer service either.

It is a different experince for everyone and that is why there are different companies so people can find one that suits them.

Thanks
    Quite agreed with Cer0. I've been with AT&T for little over 2 years now. I've never had any issues. Apart from few random billing charges on my bill out of the blue a couple of times, which were taken care of in a timely manner and professionally by AT&T, I have no complaints. Also, I just opened a new account with AT&T with my fiancee. I am now under 2 separate accounts now for AT&T. One under my family (I have iPhone 4S with family), and as of today, one with my fiancee (iPhone 4). I will be canceling my line with my family soon anyways.

Granted that the whole new 4G thing that AT&T is now doing with the iPhone 4S is mainly for marketing purposes, but it's a BUSINESS. As long as there is no service interruption for me, I'm all good. So far I'm happy with AT&T. They even happily unlocked 2 of my out-of-contract iPhone 4's, and 1 3GS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yukycg View Post
    I never trust ATT with their kindness, most likely rebuild their image for their 2nd wave of merger
    with u there...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm in the military and deploy in October. I wonder how I can do this to get them to unlock my phone for me...the only problem is I hope I don't have to restore to 5.1...if I do I hope there a JB on the way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    with u there...
    Sad you and yukycg are so bitter. Must be leftists, cuz they are never happy unless they are pi$$ing and moaning about something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    Sad you and yukycg are so bitter. Must be leftists, cuz they are never happy unless they are pi$$ing and moaning about something.
    Why not take another look at what you posted here, friend.

Thanks

Was that absolutely necessary?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seriously? That was one of the most oxymoronic statements I've seen in a while!
    P.S. I signed up to modmyi just to comment on that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joebtisme View Post
    Seriously? That was one of the most oxymoronic statements I've seen in a while!
    P.S. I signed up to modmyi just to comment on that.
    More like just, moronic.

Thanks

T-Mobile always unlocked my phones for me from the jump, just by virtue of being in the military. I'm curious as to how AT&T's policy is worded specifically. Wonder if it takes into account PCSing and extended TDYs. Still, glad to see them offering something for service members.

Compare that with SoftBank out here, who not only won't unlock any phones, but also only offer 24-mo contracts - even though we're all here for 36 mos. And yes, they charge an ETF, even if you have official orders. smh
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am just against the following statement:
    "the best part is AT&T is doing it out of the kindness of their hearts as they arenít required to do so by any laws."

ATT will NOT do iPhone unlock for no reason beside from their kindness heart. My guessing is ATT is trying to rebuild the bad image it created from the t-mobile merger. They haven't do this for since the original iphone, and now they have kindness out of nowhere.

Thanks

A business does something that might have indirect benefits. Wow, lets look for the dark cloud wrapped around a silver lining.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's very nice of AT&T, way to help out the U.S. of A!

Quote Originally Posted by yukycg View Post
    I am just against the following statement:
    "the best part is AT&T is doing it out of the kindness of their hearts as they arenít required to do so by any laws."

ATT will NOT do iPhone unlock for no reason beside from their kindness heart. My guessing is ATT is trying to rebuild the bad image it created from the t-mobile merger. They haven't do this for since the original iphone, and now they have kindness out of nowhere.
    What bad image did they get from the merger??
    Last edited by steve-z17; 04-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

OH-RAH !!! As a former Active Duty Marine ... I absolutely love this. Service Men should get huge discounts too!!! And who cares why they are doing it, more companies should follow suit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It seems AT&T's upper management got a visit from the ghost of Christmas past ;-) I hope this is a permanent shift away from their previously customer-hostile attitude.

Thanks

So I just called AT&T about this. I'm active duty Air Force, and can confirm this is 100% accurate. I did have to wait almost 2 hours to complete my unlock because so many military members are currently doing this, but it's totally worth it since I'll be headed to hot sandy places in the future....

Confirmed with a T-Mo simcard, not just AT&T telling me "yep, its unlocked"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What ever the reason is, it still benefits someone that actually needs it.