+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Silently Unlocking In-Contract iPhones for Deployed Service Members

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T are doing something that is good (I am English and no on AT&T and have no ax to grind) and people are moaning about it? Do they think it
    Thanks

AT&T are doing something that is good (I am English and no on AT&T and have no ax to grind) and people are moaning about it?

Do they think it will help their image? Probably. does that make it bad? No.

Grow up.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    T-Mobile always unlocked my phones for me from the jump,
    And I have never had an issue unlocking my phones from ATT over the years except for the iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TristianLyons1022 View Post
    So I just called AT&T about this. I'm active duty Air Force, and can confirm this is 100% accurate. I did have to wait almost 2 hours to complete my unlock because so many military members are currently doing this, but it's totally worth it since I'll be headed to hot sandy places in the future....

Confirmed with a T-Mo simcard, not just AT&T telling me "yep, its unlocked"
    What phone do you have? I'm running 4s on 5.0.1 JB...I just don't want to unlock and update to 5.1 because there is no JB for the 5.1. Hopefully soon there will be a release. But I also wonder how long AT&T is going to be doing this? Anyways are the unlocking them for all Military member's or just ones being deployed soon?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    T-Mobile always unlocked my phones for me from the jump, just by virtue of being in the military. I'm curious as to how AT&T's policy is worded specifically. Wonder if it takes into account PCSing and extended TDYs. Still, glad to see them offering something for service members.

Compare that with SoftBank out here, who not only won't unlock any phones, but also only offer 24-mo contracts - even though we're all here for 36 mos. And yes, they charge an ETF, even if you have official orders. smh

I Just PSCed to Japan in Jan and had to terminate my att contract early. Called them today and was able to unlock my stateside iphone. And yeah SoftBank does suck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dobb View Post
    What phone do you have? I'm running 4s on 5.0.1 JB...I just don't want to unlock and update to 5.1 because there is no JB for the 5.1. Hopefully soon there will be a release. But I also wonder how long AT&T is going to be doing this? Anyways are the unlocking them for all Military member's or just ones being deployed soon?
    Why would you update?

If AT&T unlock it, just use RedSn0w to deactivate it and stay on 5.01
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cubanojones View Post
    I Just PSCed to Japan in Jan and had to terminate my att contract early. Called them today and was able to unlock my stateside iphone. And yeah SoftBank does suck.
    If you just HAVE to have an iPhone, AU is the now way to go. Wish they carried them when I got out here. (unless you find a way to get NTT Docomo - inarguably the best carrier in Japan and Okinawa)
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TristianLyons1022 View Post
    So I just called AT&T about this. I'm active duty Air Force, and can confirm this is 100% accurate. I did have to wait almost 2 hours to complete my unlock because so many military members are currently doing this, but it's totally worth it since I'll be headed to hot sandy places in the future....

Confirmed with a T-Mo simcard, not just AT&T telling me "yep, its unlocked"
    I'm not an active duty member, and I just called them for the sake of social engineering and anyone else wondering how it works..

AT&T will require you fax your deployment papers to the office of the representative you're speaking with. They require this proof before they can initiate the unlock. The unlock process starts with an email from AT&T. This email has a link that opens in iTunes, and with your phone connected will walk you through the rest of the unlock process.

With that said, this MAY require an update to the current-most firmware version 5.1 in order to use - although that was not asked to the representative I spoke with.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    AT&T are doing something that is good (I am English and no on AT&T and have no ax to grind) and people are moaning about it?

Do they think it will help their image? Probably. does that make it bad? No.

Grow up.
    Confucious - be grateful you live in a country with a wide selection of GSM carriers. In the US, there is only really one to choose from (T-Mobile has poor coverage and doesn't support iPhone 3G frequencies). Unless you've experienced AT&T as a service provider, you won't understand why so many people in the US don't trust them and are naturally suspicious of their motives.

It may sound like AT&T's sudden benevolence stems from the purest of motives to do a good deed for others, but the reality is they are simply moving towards a policy that has been standard for the other US iPhone carriers since the 4S launch. Sprint and Verizon will unlock ANY iPhone 4S, whether it's on contract or not; and you don't need to work for the US military for them to do this.

AT&T needs to repair its poor image if it's going to survive in an LTE landscape. They screwed up a merger with T-Mobile which blew a large chunk of their finances and spectrum; they are hopelessly second to Verizon in terms of LTE coverage; Verizon's LTE iPad 3 can also take a GSM SIM and work elsewhere in the world on a 2G/3G GSM radio where LTE isn't available (and the next Verizon iPhone will almost certainly do the same). The advantage that AT&T once had as the sole US GSM provider is coming to an end. That is why AT&T is making this move. It isn't out of the goodness of its heart. AT&T doesn't have one.

Thanks

AT&T didn't need to do this and advertising it - If they didn't care they wouldn't do it. Simple.

But even AT&T appreciate what your armed forces do so are trying to help them.

But still you complain.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    AT&T didn't need to do this and advertising it - If they didn't care they wouldn't do it. Simple.

But even AT&T appreciate what your armed forces do so are trying to help them.

But still you complain.
    No I don't. I simply point out why many people in the US doubt the motives of a company that consistently ranks as the worst cellular carrier in terms of customer satisfaction.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12