+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Supplies iPhone Unlock Codes Through iTunes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T started allowing out-of-contract customers to unlock their iPhones on Sunday and reports confirm the process is accomplished through iTunes. According to those who have unlocked their devices Apple applies
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Supplies iPhone Unlock Codes Through iTunes

AT&T started allowing out-of-contract customers to unlock their iPhones on Sunday and reports confirm the process is accomplished through iTunes.

According to those who have unlocked their devices Apple applies the unlock codes to the device after restoring the device through iTunes. However, getting to that point isn’t the most straight-forward or customer friendly process.

According Apple Insider customers wanting to unlock need to dial 611 to speak with a customer service representative, after which they are met with a prohibitively lengthy wait in order to speak with a technician. Once the technician is on the phone the customer needs to answer a series of questions to ensure that the user is eligible for the iPhone unlock.

Once AT&T confirms the user is eligible for the unlock AT&T emails a .pdf document to the user detailing the remaining steps involved in the unlocking process. The four step process includes:

1. Opening iTunes and verifying you have internet access
    2. Connecting your iPhone using the dock connector USB cable.
    3. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes
    4. After restoring your iPhone will be unlocked.

If the unlock is complete users are met with the message “Unlock Complete. Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked. To set up and sync this iPhone, click continue.”

Leave it to AT&T to turn a simple four steps into a long time-consuming process. Have any MMi members unlocked their iPhones yet? Was it quick, or filled with long wait times and awesome “Please hold” music?

Source: Apple Insider
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 04-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting. I wonder if there is a way to open this process for everyone instead of waiting for ultrasn0w updates.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Thanks

lol at above comment

Thanks

I guess this is considered "Factory Unlock"? How does it benefit AT&T to give you access to any carrier? Is this another behind the scenes agreement with Apple? What's next, AT&T will jailbreak your device after the 2 year contract?? haha!

Thanks

What I'd like to know is whether it forces you to restore only to the latest 5.1 firmware or whether you could still restore using a custom ipsw. If it forces you to ONLY be able to restore to 5.1 then that would seem to be the catch, in my opinion.

EDIT: I SHOULD be eligible but I don't have the time right now to confirm this via AT&T. I'll check into it later today if I get enough time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure you don't have to restore it since everyone will loose their jailbreak. If you plug into iTunes with a foreign sim card it should work and your phone will display the activation screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4n4c0nd4 View Post
    What I'd like to know is whether it forces you to restore only to the latest 5.1 firmware or whether you could still restore using a custom ipsw. If it forces you to ONLY be able to restore to 5.1 then that would seem to be the catch, in my opinion.

EDIT: I SHOULD be eligible but I don't have the time right now to confirm this via AT&T. I'll check into it later today if I get enough time.
    If you're worrying about iOS version unlocking, then you might as well stick with ultrasn0w (or similars) because you quite obviously have jailbroken your phone and don't want to update to a tethered jailbreak method. AT&T still has the best iPhone services being able to use data and voice simultaneously. iPhone 4S data is much faster than normal 3G data speeds. And there is about 40% of customers who still have unlimited data (albeit throttled after 3GB). That 40%, which I am apart of, would probably have no issues staying with AT&T. More so if AT&T would bring back truly unlimited data.
    Last edited by Hillefied; 04-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm sorry but their horrible cell service and customer service will make me stay with Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dometic View Post
    I'm sorry but their horrible cell service and customer service will make me stay with Verizon.
    I'm talking about AT&T btw

Green Apple
    Thanks

looool @ person who thinks ultrasn0w will be updated.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't restore. It's like the IMEI unlocks that were around circa April-May 2011. You just bought the IMEI unlock and plugged your iPhone into iTunes and it was unlocked. It's the same procedure...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtkhalid View Post
    I'm pretty sure you don't have to restore it since everyone will loose their jailbreak. If you plug into iTunes with a foreign sim card it should work and your phone will display the activation screen.
    uhhh are you reading the steps to this unlock?
    Step #4 clearly states restore.

Since this only applies to people who is done with their 2 year contract, the iPhone 4S would not apply. Since it is iPhone 4 or less you still have the tethered jailbreak, if you want untethered jailbreak just got to wait and don't unlock until new untethered JB comes out which may take quite a while...

But not able to use data and voice at the same time is worse.
    I use my phone a lot more than I need to talk to AT&T customer service (3 or 4 times for the past 5 years maybe?)
    I am willing to put up with crappy customer service for the limited amount of time when I need them, so I can get data with voice than stuck with one or the other with your Verizon. But that's just me and quite a few people here I believe...
    Last edited by unison999; 04-09-2012 at 11:16 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

I got my iPhone 4s and iPhone 3GS unlocked yesterday 😁 after i got accepted for the unlocking process I got the emails whiten the 5 minuets I'm really happy about it YEAH!!!!! Lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the way official iPhone unlocks have always worked. What's the news?

Thanks

Customer service, in retrospect, is horrible with every single major corporated servicing company. It could be anything to a cellular service down to pest control services.

My point is, the actual services provided is worth it for the 40+% of unlimited AT&T consumers and even the less fortunate capped data consumers. 3G data speeds are more consistent with AT&T than other providers. HSPA+ is very successful for iPhone 4S users in terms of speed. I'm still amazed that my wireless data speed rivals and in many cases exceeds that of DSL and base Cable home Internet services.

Sprint is not as adept at customer service as most would claim. This comes directly from employees who work at sprint. Verizon, based solely on personal experience, has the worst customer service where problems will persist or not be resolved. AT&T, admittedly, has the least knowledgeable employees. However, AT&T still takes care of my issues no matter the horrific length of time needed to acquire the resolution.

Here's another way to look at how AT&T is slightly ahead of the rest. We strayed from the original posting about unlocking phones. Sprint paid nearly 1.5x the amount per phone than AT&T. IMHO, because of that, Sprint will not provide the unlocks. Verizon, I think, only provides unlocks for older devices and has a much lengthier process for unlocking a device than AT&T's new process (which is still ridiculously long). So at least AT&T is making up for small down falls.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Honestly, you do not need to restore (despite instructions to the contrary) to unlock the phone, as others have said, all you have to do is use an unapproved SIM (i.e. from T-Mobile) and it will work.

Honestly, I simply can't stand their customer service and extremely high prices, which is why we do not use AT&T at home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Honestly, you do not need to restore (despite instructions to the contrary) to unlock the phone, as others have said, all you have to do is use an unapproved SIM (i.e. from T-Mobile) and it will work.

Honestly, I simply can't stand their customer service and extremely high prices, which is why we do not use AT&T at home.
    Their (AT&T) prices are comparable to every other major cellular provider. There is no "extreme" difference among them. Just an FYI.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    uhhh are you reading the steps to this unlock?
    Step #4 clearly states restore.
    I read in the other thread that you could do this without the restore, although it doesn't seem to work for me. I just don't want to loose the jailbreak

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ash3s2012 View Post
    I got my iPhone 4s and iPhone 3GS unlocked yesterday  after i got accepted for the unlocking process I got the emails whiten the 5 minuets I'm really happy about it YEAH!!!!! Lol
    How did you get them to unlock it for you? I have a 4S and they refused because I was still in contract?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macmac80210 View Post
    How did you get them to unlock it for you? I have a 4S and they refused because I was still in contract?
    I think he pluralized iPhone 4 as multiple devices and a 3GS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't get it to unlock without restoring . Anyone Have any luck ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Called AT&T to get an unlock for my iPhone 4 yesterday and they first confused the iPhone 4 that has no service with my current 4S and said I wasn't able to unlock. I told them I have an active 4S and the 4 is not active. They then proceeded to unlock it. They told me I was good in about 10 min after they stated. I then got steps to backup and restore in iTunes. I did and no unlock message was delivered. I did the process twice more and still no unlock. Currently on the phone with AT&T.
    Last edited by nebulis; 04-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast