+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Supplies iPhone Unlock Codes Through iTunes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is free ? Just have to give up all ur info
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
    Yes it's free.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I see how AT&T will f this up with registered IMEIs and serial numbers for replacement phones.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I read somewhere else that you can do this through AT&T chat as well. not only by calling. So no waiting times.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I did it yesterday (Sunday), no wait time and the email came before I got off the phone with the tech rep. Got a T-Mob SIM today to try when I get home. Really hope a restore is not needed as I don't want to loose the jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bunch of noobs on this site. You don't need to restore and lose your untethered. Just go to redsn0w or SAM and deactivate.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMcWeezer View Post
    Bunch of noobs on this site. You don't need to restore and lose your untethered. Just go to redsn0w or SAM and deactivate.
    you speak from experience ? cuz i tried to do it without restore and it wouldnt work. ended up restoring and now im on a tethered jailbreak.

I used redsn0w to deactivate and it still didnt work.

jco
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Would a restore and downgrade work to keep the unlock and a untethered JB?
    Last edited by jco; 04-09-2012 at 02:59 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They keep telling me I have to wait 24-48 hrs for the unlock codes. Grrr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtkhalid View Post
    you speak from experience ? cuz i tried to do it without restore and it wouldnt work. ended up restoring and now im on a tethered jailbreak.

I used redsn0w to deactivate and it still didnt work.
    I'll speak from experience on this one. If AT&T has flipped the switch on your phone, then you'll get the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked!" message after deactivating with SAM or redsn0w (no restore needed). I'm guessing your phone just has not been unlocked yet. The arrival of a second e-mail confirming the unlock has been completed is your cue to try deactivating and plugging into iTunes again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

when you contact ATT, do you have to be on their service to be eligible to get the phone unlocked?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What, pray, is a nooob? If u mean clueless, helpless person hungry for advice & EXPLICIT instruction, here I am!!!

I just want my damned phones unlocked!

What's to deactivate if the phone is not the one on the AT&T contract? Do I still have to do all that stuff?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I'll speak from experience on this one. If AT&T has flipped the switch on your phone, then you'll get the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked!" message after deactivating with SAM or redsn0w (no restore needed). I'm guessing your phone just has not been unlocked yet. The arrival of a second e-mail confirming the unlock has been completed is your cue to try deactivating and plugging into iTunes again.
    Do you absolutely have to restore to unlock? I really don't care about jailbreaking but just don't wanna restore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imlboy View Post
    when you contact ATT, do you have to be on their service to be eligible to get the phone unlocked?
    If you ended your service with them by paying an ETF or the term of your contract on your iPhone's service expired, then the only other requirement to get your unlock is that you do not owe AT&T any money.

Quote Originally Posted by blynckensmom View Post
    What, pray, is a nooob? If u mean clueless, helpless person hungry for advice & EXPLICIT instruction, here I am!!!

I just want my damned phones unlocked!

What's to deactivate if the phone is not the one on the AT&T contract? Do I still have to do all that stuff?
    After you get the e-mail from AT&T stating your phone has been successfully unlocked, yes, you must either deactivate your iPhone via redsn0w or SAM (or restore the phone's firmware, not recommended) to complete the unlock on your end. "Activation" refers to your iPhone being allowed to get past the emergency call screen.

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Do you absolutely have to restore to unlock? I really don't care about jailbreaking but just don't wanna restore.
    You absolutely DO NOT have to restore. Use redsn0w's "Deactivate" or SAM, available on Cydia for free from the repo http://repo.bingner.com.

Thanks

Did AT&T ask anyone to provide proof of ownership to unlock their phone? I just called and they wanted me to fax proof of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    You absolutely DO NOT have to restore. Use redsn0w's "Deactivate" or SAM, available on Cydia for free from the repo http://repo.bingner.com.
    Gotcha, just wanted to double check.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No you do not. I bought my 3GS in a best-buy and brought it home to Europe. I have never had any dealings with AT&T whatsoever, used an AT&T card on it and this phone has never been, out-of-the-box, in the USA yet I called them yesterday and it seems that the process might go through.

They asked me to fax the receipt which I'll do tomorrow but it looks like it will be fine.

Did AT&T ask anyone to provide proof of ownership to unlock their phone? I just called and they wanted me to fax proof of ownership.
    They asked me to fax the original receipt which luckily I found. She did expect me to not have it which I said I didn't (didnt know i did at that point) but after some time checking she said I needed it.

That's not to mention the fact that she asked so many questions that I was soon getting prepared to give her the color or my underwear or something.
    Last edited by NooK; 04-09-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Gotcha, just wanted to double check.
    I just called and all I needed to provide was my IMEI number and an email address.

My friend was asked for proof though. So I guess it varies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xero87 View Post
    I just called and all I needed to provide was my IMEI number and an email address.

My friend was asked for proof though. So I guess it varies.
    I'll be calling in again then. I bought mine on craigslist so no receipt, I did however get mine exchanged for a new one at an apple store.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No you do not have to be or ever have been on their service to get the unlock.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i believe the ATT instuctions is missing one major step. i believe you need to have a NON AT&T sim card installed into your iphone before steps 1-4. by having a non ATT sim card, during activation.. itunes will check the whitelist if your eligibile for an unlock. even if you are eligibile (ATT customer service rep .. puts you on the white list) but you dont insert a non ATT sim.. and you only leave your ATT sim card.. then.. why would itunes think you need an unlock.