Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] SwipeCam - More iOS 5 Camera Button Alternatives

Default [Review] SwipeCam - More iOS 5 Camera Button Alternatives

The iOS 5 lock screen brings us the camera button, which turned out to be pretty convenient. However, iOS developer Ron Melkhior has made an attempt to make the iOS 5 lock screen even more convenient by adding two more functions to the camera button area. The new jailbreak tweak, dubbed SwipeCam, will set you back $1.49 and allow you to swipe side to side on the camera button to pull up more options. Currently, SwipeCam supports toggling Wi-Fi and toggling Airplane Mode apart from being able to launch the Camera application. The screenshots above show you the toggles when they are enabled and the screenshots below show you the toggles when they are disabled:

The disabled toggles show an X on them when they are off and the X disappears when the toggles are enabled. Apart from the toggles, you can also find a preferences pane in the Settings application, which allows you to enable and disable SwipeCam at your convenience. Because of the nature of SwipeCam, if you have Camera Grabber for iOS 5 by Ori Kadosh installed for sliding up on your lock screen to launch the Camera applications, SwipeCam will not work and you will need to uninstall Camera Grabber for iOS 5 to use it.

While SwipeCam is a practical idea and many people will probably find its uses helpful, it is currently very limited in functionality and the icons are foreign to the iOS environment in terms of appearance. Possible future updates will address giving SwipeCam more options, properly removing Camera Grabber for iOS 5 upon install, and likely some added toggles and stability improvements. Known updates will include a location services toggle, brightness adjustment button, and power buttons for respringing, rebooting, powering down, and entering safe mode.

Using SwipeCam still requires you to double-press the home button at the lock screen to use. Taking into consideration the price tag of $1.49, you will find that the free SBSettings jailbreak tweak and the stock iOS 5 camera button will get the same job done just as quickly. The option is totally up to you about which path you wish to take.

Name: SwipeCam
    Price: $1.49
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ron Melkhior
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Ron Melkhior

Definitely sticking with Camera Grabber.

Already on 5.1 and can't go back. Even if at 5.0.1 the convenience of sbsettings pretty much makes this tweak useless let alone you have to double press home botton to bring it up

Thanks

Not bad, but a bit overpriced for what it does

5. The Following User Says Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

viore (04-07-2012)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

What a waste. As said above, you can activate sbsettingson lockscreen. not to mention that this only has 2 toggles. LOL sorry but im not sure what the dev was thinking with this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    What a waste. As said above, you can activate sbsettingson lockscreen. not to mention that this only has 2 toggles. LOL sorry but im not sure what the dev was thinking with this.
    I'd say he was thinking that this would appeal to some people, and that he could make a bit of money out of it..

Green Apple
    Thanks

How do you set sbsettings to work on lockscreen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3k2 View Post
    just activate it as you would normally from anywhere.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3k2 View Post
    Just slide your finger on the status bar as you normally would
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

who needs a wifi toggle on lockscreen or airplane mode..?? come oon.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone should take the popup that comes with the the recent 'HeadphoneLauncher' tweak, use toggles instead of apps, and make it double clickable like the iPod controls. Plus you'd still be able to use Camera Grabber. Although I'd rather just install Bulletin and put toggles in Notification Center.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Someone should take the popup that comes with the the recent 'HeadphoneLauncher' tweak, use toggles instead of apps, and make it double clickable like the iPod controls. Plus you'd still be able to use Camera Grabber. Although I'd rather just install Bulletin and put toggles in Notification Center.
    or you could just set sbsettings to double click home button on lockscreen....

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

It kinda bugs me when people bash a tweak just because they don't have a use for it. It's pretty childish and small minded

All these little tweaks help everybody have the iPhone they want. I like having a lot of choices.

Sbsettings isn't compatible with IntelliScreenX. If you open sbsettings when ISX is active even if ISX isn't visible it opens Notification Center on top of sbsettings and nothing closes

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    or you could just set sbsettings to double click home button on lockscreen....
    I don't see the point in installing a new pulldown menu when iOS already has one natively, and a much smoother one at that. There are loads of tweaks for it, and I actually prefer the standard gesture over the double click anyway. Just thought that idea would be better for people looking for something like the tweak in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Sbsettings isn't compatible with IntelliScreenX. If you open sbsettings when ISX is active even if ISX isn't visible it opens Notification Center on top of sbsettings and nothing closes
    IntelliscreenX is amazing. It may be the single best package in Cydia. BUT it royally defiles my battery despite the fact that I've turned off every last suspect and reduced it to literally nothing but toggles (which is really all I want it for anyway, that and the ability to access NC on the lock screen). That's why I just go with the Bulletin/custom NC tweaks combo.
    Last edited by TheDirtyDiddler; 04-08-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    You can put your sbsettings toggles into intelliscreenx and not have to worry about that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    It kinda bugs me when people bash a tweak just because they don't have a use for it. It's pretty childish and small minded

All these little tweaks help everybody have the iPhone they want. I like having a lot of choices.
    They have every right to bash the tweak if they wish. They don't have a use for it so they say so, they think it's a dumb tweak so they say so. Their opinion, though different than your own is still just as valid. Now I don't bash apps as I can't make one but I think this is a silly app and to charge for it is even sillier IMHO. Of course that is IMHO and obviously not yours or probably many others.
    Last edited by rkswat; 04-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    They have every right to bash the tweak if they wish. They don't have a use for it so they say so, they think it's a dumb tweak so they say so.
    I'm with you so far

Their opinion, though different than your own is still just as valid.
    Now you're losing me. You write that my opinion is valid, yet you seem to take some issue with the validity of my opinion

Now I don't bash apps as I can't make one but I think this is a silly app and to charge for it is even sillier IMHO.
    Now here I'll admit I'm flat out confused. In the first half of your sentence you wrote "I don't bash apps". In the second half of your sentence you bash the app

Bulletin is compatible with intelliscreenx and works great on the lock screen. Allows for other status bar activations as well.