+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sparrow 1.1 Released Push Notifications "Coming Soon"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Sparrow is a popular iOS e-mail client because of its looks, interaction abilities, and ease of use. It works with all IMAP e-mail accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo, and more.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sparrow 1.1 Released Push Notifications "Coming Soon"

Sparrow is a popular iOS e-mail client because of its looks, interaction abilities, and ease of use. It works with all IMAP e-mail accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo, and more. Many like it more than Apple’s stock Mail application. One major downside with it has to do with the fact that Apple wouldn’t allow Sparrow to include push notifications with the application.

Today, Sparrow gets updated to version 1.1 with a couple of useful new features. The major one being that Sparrow now has its own built-in Web browser for users to view Web content directly in the e-mail client instead of having to open links into Safari and then use the multitasking App Switcher or another method to get back to the Sparrow application. The other update being the ability to archive messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Blog
    Thanks to your amazing support, we feel confident that Apple might revise its position on the Push API. We’ll submit a first version of Sparrow 1.2 including it. This might delay Sparrow 1.2 validation but we’re already working with some partners to include Push in future versions of Sparrow without needing Apple clearance.

Push is coming. If Apple can’t help us yet, we have other ideas.
    So what’s new with the battle for Push notifications? Sparrow has stated on their blog that Sparrow will be getting push notifications in version 1.2, "Push is coming. If Apple can’t help us yet, we have other ideas." This implies the Sparrow team is working hard to bring us Push notifications in a way that Apple won't punish them for. The confirmation of push notifications for the popular e-mail client will be a breath of fresh air for anyone relying on Sparrow Push for limited push notifications for Sparrow.

The Sparrow team shares that the implementation of Push into the application will require help from some of their, "partners" and could delay its appearance in the App Store – a small price to pay for great features as patience is a virtue.

The version 1.1 update is free for all current Sparrow users and new users can buy Sparrow for the price of $2.99 from this link.

Sources: App Store, Sparrow Blog
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-04-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't understand. A lot of other apps have push notifications (if im not confused), why is this app specifically denied by apple?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epikarus View Post
    I don't understand. A lot of other apps have push notifications (if im not confused), why is this app specifically denied by apple?
    "On our side: if Sparrow was to do Push today, we would have to store your credentials (login/password) on our servers to frequently poll your accounts, and send you notifications."

From Push — Sparrow

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll buy the app once push is enabled

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Agree^^^^ wish they would of updated that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yay

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it`s fine....for Jailbroken phones, u can download sparrow push from bigboss repository .....

2k1
    Thanks

Doesn't work on mine have to open the mail client to see if I have any emails.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbouchamekh View Post
    it`s fine....for Jailbroken phones, u can download sparrow push from bigboss repository .....
    That only supports badges for now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jaredtodd69's Avatar
    Thanks

Needs exchange capabilities

2k1
    Thanks

Wonder if they will be able to do it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

m trying it with push from cydia..... m gonna feed u back after my test over.......................

Thanks

I guess I'm completely missing the boat on this app... I really don't get it as to why this is any better than the native mail app.

I bought it, and set up my 5 email accounts, and played with it for a week or so, and ended up deleting it. To me, it just seemed akward to work with, and not very intuitive. (I prefer to not use the "common" inbox, so I can keep my various accounts separate, so the having to swipe from account to account seemed no better then the approach taken by the native client).

What am I missing ? Is it just more visually appealing ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

not so interesting as it`s a bit slow on iphone 4....... I think it`s not worth the price...... m gonna keep using the default iOS mail app....mutch more optimized and mutch more better and fast..... people r making noise for something worthless....hahaha anyway thx for sharing ..............that was my personal opinion............

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't care about email enough to buy sparrow. I don't use email a lot any way