+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Brightslide - Easy Brightness and Flashlight Access

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Brightness has always been hard to get to and being able to use your LED camera flash as a flashlight requires some kind of application from the App Store taking
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Brightslide - Easy Brightness and Flashlight Access

Brightness has always been hard to get to and being able to use your LED camera flash as a flashlight requires some kind of application from the App Store taking up space on your home screen – these are two major issues that iOS developer Ron Melkhior figured he would take a shot at fixing with a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed Brightslide. Apple implemented a volume slider in the iPod section of the multitasking App Switcher, unfortunately they didn't include a brightness slider.

Brightslide will take up one of your limited Activator actions. You choose your action after installing the tweak that you will use to invoke Brightslide when you need to adjust your screen brightness or turn on the LED light on the rear side of the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S. As these are the only two devices with LED camera flashes on them, they are the only devices that will support the flashlight feature. The iPod touch and older iPhones will still have no problem using the brightness slider part of the tweak.

Taking the tweak out for a spin, the tweak’s interface could use a little work. After being invoked for the first time, a very unattractive "Double tap here to close this window" line of text appears, however the good news is you won’t ever see it again once you close Brightslide for the first time. To close the interface of Brightslide, you do exactly what it said and double tap somewhere outside of the slider. Strangely enough, if you open the multitasking App Switcher while you have Brightslide launched, Brightslide just sits there instead of exiting.

On a positive note, the brightness slider and flashlight button work great. You can use Brightslide from the home screen or from within applications, but not on the lock screen. The flashlight does take a moment to fire up, however it does work and tapping on it again causes the light to turn off, as we would expect. If you want a quick way to adjust your screen brightness or to take advantage of your LED camera flash as a flashlight, then check out Brightslide.

Name: Brightslide
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Requirements: iPhone 4/4S for LED flashlight
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ron Melkhior
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Ron Melkhior
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-03-2012 at 11:05 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks handy, thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

That's cool... Now I can get rid of that flashlight app. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks

Cool tweak
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

I will always think the best way to access brightness is to get Brightness Activator Action and assign it to status bar swipe left/right.

This is a good tweak though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Downloaded it and it works great so far. I'd like to see it work on the lock screen so it can replace the buggy springflash.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just wonder why all developers only able to provide the very, very, standard toggles (brightness, volume, Wifi, location, airplane, respring, power-off, safemode, bluetooth) like this one. Where are the others toggles like: auto-lock, hotspot, invert-color,VPN, ringer, auto-correct, and a lot of more. I really miss devs like Big-Boss and others of the Old Good Day's