+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One-Third of High Schoolers Own an iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default One-Third of High Schoolers Own an iPhone

Brief story. As freshman in high school (2002) I didnít have a cell phone, but as a three sport athlete I often stayed late for practice/workouts and would need a ride home from school. Well I would from time to time take one of my parentís cell phones in order to call them for a ride home.

No big deal right? Well, when youíre an absent-minded, 6í4 freshman nothing is impossible. Not even losing a cell phone in the 10 minutes between you calling your mom for a ride, and her arriving. As punishment, I didnít get a cell phone until the summer before my senior year.

My how times change. According to a new Piper Jaffray study one-third of high school students own an iPhone. Yes, more kids own an iPhone now, than kids had phones six years ago.

The extensive study included a survey of 5,600 U.S. high school students, with 34% reporting they own an iPhone, which is double the percentage seen in last yearís study. Piper Jaffray attributed the massive increase in iPhone ownership amongst high schoolers to new lower cost Apple products. Apple offered the iPhone 3GS for $49 back in January 2011, and then offering it for free with a new contract after the iPhone 4S release.

In our most recent survey the percentage of teens that own an iPhone came in at 34%, up from 23% in the Fall and 17% last Spring. We believe the meaningful uptick in iPhone ownership among teens may be driven by the cheaper $49 iPhone 3GS (in some cases free). Interest in purchasing an iPhone in the next 6 months rose to 40% (another all-time high vs. our previous surveys). Purchase intent was at 38% in our last survey in the Fall.

Tablet wise, Appleís iPad dominated the high school sector. With 34% of students reporting they owned some sort of tablet device, nearly 70% claimed they had an iPad. Amazingly 53% of those who owned an iPad reported owning an iPhone as well. Amazingly, Appleís market share could increase based on the data. According to the study 19% of students indicated they plan to purchase a tablet within the next six months, and 80% of them plan to purchase an iPad.

Since when did so many kids become so spoiled?*

*Still not sure what the methodology for the study was, and how they obtained their sample size

Source: MacRumors
    Last edited by Cowboy; 04-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd like to disagree with you saying kids are spoiled. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm 14 years old. I have a job and I've bought my iPhone, my iPad, and my macbook pro all with money I've earned and worked hard to make. This isn't only for electronic devices I pay my phone bill and buy my own clothes the only expenses I don't pay are really housing and food. So I don't know if you can say that I am spoiled.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GI-Jo-Jo View Post
    I'd like to disagree with you saying kids are spoiled. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm 14 years old. I have a job and I've bought my iPhone, my iPad, and my macbook pro all with money I've earned and worked hard to make. This isn't only for electronic devices I pay my phone bill and buy my own clothes the only expenses I don't pay are really housing and food. So I don't know if you can say that I am spoiled.
    +1, Minus the iPad, plus car and insurance
    It Takes One To Know One

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

That's why the asterisks is there. I was questioning their sampling method, i.e. how they chose the students to interview. As a Graduate student currently working on his thesis/work project I've read an incredible amount of research/studies that have incredibly flawed sampling methods, and poorly worded surveys that attempt to pigeonhole kids into demographics. I'd love to see if they broke down their sample sizes in geographical, socio-economic, and other possible demographics. That would definitely give us more insite into the make up of their sample and any possible trends.

My comment was made in jest and not meant to accuse an entire generation of being spoiled. Honestly, the opposite is probably true considering the current economic climate.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im a junior in highschool, and do not have a cellphone. I do however own an ipad (which i bought.) and an ipod touch. I might get a cellphone soon, however, but only when i can pay for it myself.

Thanks

WTF... I honestly didn't get a cellphone until I was 19 years old and it wasn't even an iPhone, it was a crappy phone from Metro PCS -__-
    It wasn't until I was 21 years when I got my very first apple product, an iPhone 3G back in 2009.
    My little sister and her friend are in the 7th grade and her friend has an iPhone 4S! I don't even have that! I do however have an iPhone 4, an iPad (3rd gen), and an iPod Video from 2006. Soon you'll see kids in elementary school having iPhones! Crazy!!!!
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    WTF... I honestly didn't get a cellphone until I was 19 years old and it wasn't even an iPhone, it was a crappy phone from Metro PCS -__-
    Lol same here
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

(I'm a sophomore and I have a 4S) At my school its like 45% have an iPhone 50% have an Android and 5% have a "dumb-phone"**
    **based on 7 classes of ~30 students and in hallways

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    It wasn't until I was 21 years when I got my very first apple product, an iPhone 3G back in 2009.
    My little sister and her friend are in the 7th grade and her friend has an iPhone 4S! I don't even have that! I do however have an iPhone 4, an iPad (3rd gen), and an iPod Video from 2006. Soon you'll see kids in elementary school having iPhones! Crazy!!!!
    I had a "dumb-phone in the end of elementary (6th grade) until the 4s was released
    Last edited by Megaorange; 04-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I believe it. There are a lot of iPhones at my school. But there are also a lot of Androids too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's probably close, if not over, 2/3 at my school, and almost none of them do anything on them then Twitter. I've gotten a couple people to jailbreak, lol.

Thanks

Where is a 14-yr old working (or for that many hours) that they can afford iPhones, iPads, etc.? Times have changed, I guess...

Props for working for your stuff, though. Always a good thing.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What work do you do?
    Honestly what do you do for work?? The only job i could get when I was your age was a paper route! Worked my butt off every morning and made good money but couldn't get a "real" job till I was 16. My 15 year old works part time as a lifguard at the Y on weekends and hopes to get full time guarding job this summer.

My 15 and 16 year old have iphones that got handed down to them when my I upgraded but I would never have bought them new ones! They do work around the house to "earn" their keep.

Green Apple
    Thanks

about 70% of students at my university own an iPhone.

Thanks

well when i was in high school the only phone i owned was a crappy flip phone from virgin mobile. I did not get a smartphone until 1 year ago when i bought my iphone 4.

*T*
    Thanks

I'm ur age and I agree completely, I bought all my gadgets myself. I want Beats, I have all the money from work, my parents won't even let me get'em

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    Where is a 14-yr old working (or for that many hours) that they can afford iPhones, iPads, etc.? Times have changed, I guess...

Props for working for your stuff, though. Always a good thing.
    Babysitting, caddying, adfly
    Last edited by *T*; 04-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Phil.....did you have a walkman? how about a discman? maybe an atari or a nintendo? when you break it down you sound like our parents complaining about how they walked to school in three feet of snow uphill BOTH WAYS!!!!

Are the children in Africa who receive the 1 laptop per child $99 laptop also spoiled?.....oh or better yet.....when you were in grade school did you get a new trapper keeper every year?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If you could only understand that the food on your table and the "rent" you would be paying if your parents didn't do it for you would liekly amount to more than you are making a month...

Quote Originally Posted by bmh19 View Post
    Phil.....did you have a walkman? how about a discman? maybe an atari or a nintendo? when you break it down you sound like our parents complaining about how they walked to school in three feet of snow uphill BOTH WAYS!!!!
    The dude was a freshman in 2002... he likely did not play Atari or Nintendo...

The monthly fees on an iPhone alone would pay for a modern gaming console or two in less than a year. In short, pretty poor comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Babysitting, caddying, adfly
    Ah, so you make money that likely isn't reported as income. That's cool.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-04-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coltonbyu8 View Post
    Im a junior in highschool, and do not have a cellphone. I do however own an ipad (which i bought.) and an ipod touch. I might get a cellphone soon, however, but only when i can pay for it myself.
    You're just like me! Except I'm a sophomore.

What's Jailbreak? iElectricLewis's Avatar
    Thanks

I got a cellphone when I was 11, but it was basic and old. I had an iPod first, but that was because I loved apple lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I very highly doubt they pay for it. I had an iPhone 3G my senior year, and payed every penny of my phone and contract. I don't consider myself part of that demographic, I put myself in the I-pay-my-own-bills-without-assisstance section. Truthfully, I think they should pay housing and living expenses too. iPhone = luxury. I love my 4S, I've had every iPhone since the 3G from day one, but I have always payed EVERY penny, instead of being a snobby high schooler.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If you could only understand that the food on your table and the "rent" you would be paying if your parents didn't do it for you would liekly amount to more than you are making a month...
    Truth. First time your parents kick you out, food and rent will be MUCH more important than an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    I'm ur age and I agree completely, I bought all my gadgets myself. I want Beats, I have all the money from work, my parents won't even let me get'em
    If you wanna complain about your parents, get emancipated. Its THAT easy. Then you can get the beats. Or pay rent. Can't win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    Not really. A "job" would be illegal unless its a family business, of which is HIGHLY unlikely. More or less, the way it sounds is that their parents just give them big money at Christmas and their "job" is taking the trash out.

Thats also highly unlikely. The most you could have worked would be 11 months, seeing as how 14 is the minimum age for family businesses (of which I also highly doubt your in). With a contract, iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro, I'm gonna lowball it and say with tax it all sits roughly at $5400 (fair price, there are variables). That would mean if you purchased these alone, your working past federal and state regulations, of which your employer (of who is already weary more than likely) is going above and beyond breaking the law, and the federal and state governments would react in a timely manor to.
    Myth busted.
    Last edited by flightsim; 04-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.