Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Twitter Filed For Pull-To-Refresh Patent Back in 2010

Default Twitter Filed For Pull-To-Refresh Patent Back in 2010

Pull to refresh. You do it everyday. Probably every hour, maybe half hour, maybe you’re a Twitter addict and you do it constantly. Facebook, Tweetbot, and a number of other iOS apps use the “pull-to-refresh” feature, but a quick look at Apple’s native apps reveal an interesting consistency, the feature is absent.

Turns out, a company applied for a “Pull to refresh” patent and that company is Twitter.

Twitter a patent titled “User Interface Mechanics” with Loren Brichter listed as the inventor. Brichter is the creator of Tweetie, which if you remember, was the app Twitter acquired back in 2010 that would later become the official iOS Twitter client.

However, the pending patent application doesn’t just want to claim the pull-to-refresh command, they want to go after everything that involves issuing a command to pull down a menu.

Methods, computer readable media, and apparatuses for providing enhanced user interface mechanics are presented. In one arrangement, a scrollable list of content items may be displayed. Input associated with a scroll command may be received. Then, based on the scroll command, a scrollable refresh trigger may be displayed. Subsequently, the scrollable list of content items may be refreshed in response to determining, based on the scroll command, that the scrollable refresh trigger has been activated. In at least one instance, it may be determined that the scrollable refresh trigger has been activated in response to determining that the scroll command was completed while the scrollable refresh trigger was fully displayed. — United States Patent Application 20100199180
    Posessing a patent like this could potentially spell trouble for other developers, but Paull Haddad of Tweetbot—who tweeted about the patent today—doesn’t believe Twitter will use the patent in an offensive manner. Haddad has faith in Twitter’s intentions and the company’s traditionally open-source nature.

Hopefully, Twitter doesn’t feel the need to enforce the patent (there’s no confirmation USPTO granted Twitter the patent), especially considering how natural the feature is within the iOS universe. Apple even uses the pull-to-refresh feature in its internal apps like Concierge.

Source: TechCrunch
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 03-28-2012 at 12:19 AM.

very useful article and I learn much from it. Keep the work!

Thanks

I heard this in a previous article on here. Thanks for the further detailed info. I like the pull to refresh..wish they would lease it out cause its quick and easy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

I wonder if the MMi app will get it's long overdue update soon then as it also uses 'pull-to-refresh'?

I'm hoping that if they were awarded this patent that they just hold on to it for protection ( Ie. To keep someone else from claiming and then trying to enforce it ) .. Patents like this can be dangerous and stifling to developers.. if it were something more complex, perhaps not.. but something like this is super simple and beneficial to many.. it would be a step backwards to force everyone to pay up or remove it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    I wonder if the MMi app will get it's long overdue update soon then as it also uses 'pull-to-refresh'?
    Yea, the MMi app needs a good update also to fix crashes...
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Another borrowed idea?
    Sent from my New iPad