+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tweak Duo Allows Sending/Receiving Any File You Want Through iMessage

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iMessage has always been bogged down to sending only messages or photo and video files. iOS developers Ryan Petrich and Nikos Lykousas have been collaborating to create a new jailbreak
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tweak Duo Allows Sending/Receiving Any File You Want Through iMessage

iMessage has always been bogged down to sending only messages or photo and video files. iOS developers Ryan Petrich and Nikos Lykousas have been collaborating to create a new jailbreak tweak duo, dubbed SendAny and ReceiveAny. These two jailbreak tweaks work together to make it so you can send or receive any file through the Messages application using iMessage. It is compatible with Messages for Mac as well as the iOS version. ReceiveAny is free, however SendAny will set you back $1.99 – both are currently available in the BigBoss repository.

The tweak replaces the camera button in the Messages application with a paperclip when you begin an iMessage. The paperclip, when tapped, will yield a new option that allows you to attach a file:

Tapping the Attach File button brings up the iPhone's directory so you can select any file you want to send:

In the example above, I navigated to my Camera Roll from the iPhone’s file system and picked a video I recorded. You can select anything – a .plist, .m4a, .deb; anything. After you’ve picked the file, you can choose between sending the file as is (big) or you can compress it to make it smaller and easier to send. Once you pick, it will process and appear in your iMessage pane.

Of course, being a tweak developed in part by Ryan Petrich, it wouldn’t be complete without Action Menu support. You can go into any application with file support such as Apple’s Music application, hold down on a song, and tap the send button that appears. When you do this, you’ll be prompted with the option to either open the file in iFile, upload the file to Dropbox, or lastly – send the file via iMessage (great for sending one of your songs to another one of your iDevices or Macs):

The other tweak, ReceiveAny, allows you to open or view files that you receive. You can send them to all kinds of applications capable of importing or exporting files, such as:
    • Dropbox
    • iFile
    • MyFile
    • Stanza
    • Evernote
    • ...Much more

At this point in time, SendAny is being worked on to receive some major updates regarding the user interface and its very own importing features. Since ReceiveAny is not yet capable of importing files natively into the iDevice after being received, they will not become available in applications like the Music application when you receive them, however as aforementioned, you can use third party applications to store files.

If you are the kind of person who likes to backup your .deb files, you can use these two tweaks in combination with Messages on your Mac to iMessage yourself all the .deb files you backup after a restore to quickly install everything without waiting for Cydia to load each time. iFile, if you have forgotten, includes a built-in installer for .deb files. You will have to respring manually after installing anything through iFile.

The interface may be a little difficult for new users at first, being that it requires you to navigate through your file system and if you’re not familiar with it, you can get lost easily. It isn’t without its fair share of bugs, however future updates are expected to hammer out any problems very quickly. These tweaks are not for text messaging, just iMessage.

Name: SendAny
    Price: $2.99
    Version: 1.0.1-1
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): Ryan Petrich and Nikos Lykousas
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Name: ReceiveAny
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.1
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): Ryan Petrich and Nikos Lykousas
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Ryan Petrich and Nikos Lykousas
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So the Person receiving the file also has to have a tweak installed... Not many people I know have their devices jailbroken and are willing to install this :/ Cool nonetheless.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

Very nice tweak will be gitting this one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I keep getting an unable to send error in the iPod app. Nice concept but not functioning as advertised.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

does big or send driecly = completely uncompressed video?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    does big or send driecly = completely uncompressed video?
    Yes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielbonnells View Post
    So the Person receiving the file also has to have a tweak installed... Not many people I know have their devices jailbroken and are willing to install this :/ Cool nonetheless.

that is a bit limiting, does anyone know if they work with bitesms because thats what i use for messaging

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielbonnells View Post
    Don't associate with those types of people. Just like Android users, avoid them like AIDS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to be cheap but cydia says 2.99. While this site says 1.99. I guess this site is wrong 😱

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

so if i send a *.mp4 file, the recipient must have this app to receive and play it?

Thanks

so if i send a *.mp4 file, the recipient must have this app to receive and play it?
    It is to send files to devices you own, not or piracy.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 766 Posts

No they would still be able to play it as mp4 is a basic file format that is supported on iOS but with the tweaks they would be able to save it to there device to do as they please

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Too many bugs right now, I'll wait til they get all those figured out, then I'll consider. Don't like that both parties have to have the app, it would be nice to send files to anyone using iMessage.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 766 Posts

Both parties only need the tweak if ur sending stuff like .zip files or .deb then u need it installed on the device so u can open them files up if ur sending stuff like pics music n videos etc then the other person doesnt need anything installed it's just with the tweak they could save them they can't still view tho without the tweak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Last edited by VITICO171; 03-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

I bought The one and installed the others yesterday, and as a theme creator let me tell you, this tweak is GREAT. Making sending single images and files a breeze between theme creators and allows access to anything from mobile. Im loving it and looking forward to new features

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There was another app recently added to Cydia called "Attacher" from the ModMyi repo that appears to do exactly the same thing as these 2 apps combined for both iMessage and regular text messaging. What seems to be better about Attacher is that 1.) it's only 1 app needed to be downloaded, it's currently free, and it also adds an option when clicking on the camera icon in message app to record and send a voicememo all from within the stock app user interface. Has anyone tried or seen this app? If so, can you compare to these 2 being talked about?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to goodred2 For This Useful Post:

high dB (03-27-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Does the sending of various data remain free to send?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Thanks

That's what I want to know @Imack007