Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If You Rely On Spire, Stay On iOS 5.0.1

Default If You Rely On Spire, Stay On iOS 5.0.1

Following the release of the iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak, many rejoiced with the release of Spire, a simple Siri installer developed by iOS hackers Grant Paul and Ryan Petrich that could be used for installing Siri functionality on any iOS 5 iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. In iOS 5.0.1, Apple made a mistake allowing hackers to exploit a cache file for gaining access to the files necessary for making Spire a reality.

Although we have a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 at this time, you will notice that Spire cannot be installed on iOS 5.1 as Cydia will not allow you to. This is because iOS 5.1 does not support the iOS 5.0.1 version of the frameworks, but alternatively only supports the iOS 5.1 version of the frameworks. The iOS 5.0.1 frameworks were easy to exploit as Apple handed the files to us on a silver platter, unencrypted, and made it very straightforward to create an automated downloader for them.

Citing Ryan Petrich, it is extremely likely that we will not see a Spire Siri installer for iOS 5.1 whether our jailbreak is tethered or untethered because writing the installer would be less straightforward and much more difficult. That being said, if you are on iOS 5.0.1 and happy with your untethered jailbreak and Spire Siri functionality, you may not want to upgrade.

Those of you that don’t use Spire for any part of your daily lives, probably won’t have to worry about upgrading to iOS 5.1 or any newer firmware for that matter when a newer jailbreak for the corresponding firmware is released. Hackers are actively working on finding exploits for Apple’s newest firmware, iOS 5.1.

Sources: Ryan Petrich
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.

I have noticed spire takes up a considerable amount of RAM (around 40-50MB) so spire might be a bit system heavy for iPod touch users

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime Caudebec View Post
    I have noticed spire takes up a considerable amount of RAM (around 40-50MB) so spire might be a bit system heavy for iPod touch users
    It is. Spire has memory leak issues.

I have an iPod Touch and it made my ipod very slow.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

I can never get spire to work. Any idea or tips...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Git a good server and it will
    Work perfect just like celeron said horrible memory leak.

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    It is. Spire has memory leak issues.

I have an iPod Touch and it made my ipod very slow.
    Nothing is perfect

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W1TCH View Post
    Nothing is perfect
    I am...
    Last edited by celeron; 03-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks

*cough cough*

Thanks

Lol nice one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    Lol nice one
    Heheh

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Um duh stay on 5.0.1 cause there is also no jailbreak in this idea kinda pointless article

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Um duh stay on 5.0.1 cause there is also no jailbreak in this idea kinda pointless article
    You must be unaware of the tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1...which I mentioned in the article.

spire has not been working for me lately. im using assistantconnect and it's loading the token, but when i try to use it all it does is spin. any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    I can never get spire to work. Any idea or tips...
    Spire per the information in the depiction requires several other peripheral installs and dependencies for it to work, Spire it's self is just installing the Siri interface, but not the service it's self. You will still need to figure out how to get access to a working proxy Siri server or alternative, certificates, profiles, etc. Once you do, then you will be able to enjoy the full Siri experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You must be unaware of the tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1...which I mentioned in the article.
    Tethered jailbreaks are mostly pointless to the average user, they are really only useful for developers and beta testers who need to prep their packages for the upcoming untethered version of any given os version.
    Last edited by JuergenWest; 03-27-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Spire slowed down my iPod Touch like crazy.
    It was like after all the tweaks loaded up I only had around 10-15mb RAM left out.
    Got rid of it now! Even though the installer was pretty great but Siri still has lot of flaws..

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Heheh
    I thought it was The Most Interesting Man in the World...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mos...n_in_the_World

Quote Originally Posted by JuergenWest View Post
    Tethered jailbreaks are mostly pointless to the average user, they are really only useful for developers and beta testers who need to prep their packages for the upcoming untethered version of any given os version.
    I wouldn't say that. I had a tethered JB for quite a long time. I think I had to tether boot maybe once the whole time. It comes with a liability and definitely Caveat Emptor but I wouldn't say it's only for developers.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 03-27-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Hackers are actively working on finding exploits for Apple’s newest firmware, iOS 5.1.
    When will there be an unlock???????
    You guys NEVER mention that!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sabresfan08 View Post
    spire has not been working for me lately. im using assistantconnect and it's loading the token, but when i try to use it all it does is spin. any ideas?
    I used Spire with my IOS 5.0.1 but when updated to IOS 5.1, we got Spite as alternative & it works (may be faster than Spire)

Quote Originally Posted by JuergenWest View Post

I wouldn't agree with that. A whole lot of people were using the tethered jailbreak when iOS 5 came out. They aren't that bad, but it requires dedication to keeping your battery in the green.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I wouldn't agree with that. A whole lot of people were using the tethered jailbreak when iOS 5 came out. They aren't that bad, but it requires dedication to keeping your battery in the green.
    I agree. Tethered jailbreaks are no different besides the fact that you have to boot tether. A lot of people think (that I've talked to) that tethered jb's offer less but it's no different besides that one drawback. Tethered jb's are a far cry from pointless, especially when there's no other option. As for Spire, I first started using it with assistantconnect and I had a lot of issues, but I found a really good proxy server ($20 for a full year of access) and it works just as fast as a 4S if not faster at times. I have a 4S as well as my i4 and I've tested them side by side and the proxy server I use on my i4 is a lot of times faster than the 4s connecting to Apple servers. It's crazy but I actually prefer my iPhone 4 (32 GB) over my 4s (32 GB), especially with Spire. Having the ability to downgrade is a very big comfort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast