+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] AppUpdateNotifier - Alerts When App Store Updates Are Released

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 762 Posts

Default [Review] AppUpdateNotifier - Alerts When App Store Updates Are Released

Are you one of those people that donít check the App Store regularly for updates for the applications on your iDevice? A new jailbreak tweak dubbed AppUpdateNotifier by iOS development firm S2 IT Consulting LLC will integrate seamlessly with iOS 5ís notification system to alert you when updates for your applications are live in the App Store without the need for launching the App Store and checking for yourself.

The alerts for updates on the lock screen, shown above, tell you the name of the application with the update and the version you will be updating to. AppUpdateNotifier functions as not only a tweak for alerting you about App Store updates, but it includes a jailbreak widget for manually scoping out App Store updates and a preferences pane in the Settings application for tinkering with its settings. Both are shown below:

From the widget, you get information regarding the last time a check for updates was performed and the schedule for the next automatic check. There are two buttons, one for scoping out any possible App Store updates manually, and one for enabling and disabling the automatic check for updates.

The preferences pane of AppUpdateNotifier gives you the option to enable or disable the tweak on demand, change the increments of time for checking for App Store updates Ė daily by default, however there are options for hourly, weekly, and monthly too. Lastly, there is an application picker for choosing applications you donít want notifications for when an App Store update for that particular application is available.

Like all widgets, AppUpdateNotifierís widget can be removed or added to Notification Center on demand by dragging it in or out of the list in the Notifications pane of the Settings application. By default, the widget will not be in Notification Center when you install the tweak and you will need to drag it into the list to see it.

AppUpdateNotifier serves a good purpose, however its usefulness is moot. There are many people out there who like having the latest and greatest of everything, so they want to be notified about their application updates regularly. Other people, on the other hand, do not really care too much for updating applications and follow the philosophy of, "donít fix whatís not broken."

Taking the tweak out for a spin ourselves, we can confirm it works great with notifying you upon updates. The integration of the tweak with not only notifications, but also its own widget in Notification Center shows that a good deal of work was put into making it work as great as it does. I can recommend this tweak for anyone that likes keeping up to date on his or her App Store application updates regularly.

Name: AppUpdateNotifier
    Price: $1.49
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: S2 IT Consulting LLC
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Cydia

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still waiting on CydiaBulletin...

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I get a red badge when there is a update for any app i have installed. I don't need to open App store for that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JimboHurt's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mind at all clicking on the app store every now and again.
    Have a random themeing/jaku question? Hit me up on twitter to avoid an off topic post. I am glad to help.
    @jimbohurt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I'm still waiting on CydiaBulletin...
    Same here, much more needed than AppStore notifier, Cydia tweak updates can be often much more important like stability fixes for something..
    AppStore, I check anyway. And there's the badge.

But this is still great work by the dev, props for that, I'm sure there are people who want this!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Cool idea. Keep the tweaks coming. But I never use NC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The app looks great, but the price is a little higher than others on iOS App Store.