+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Foxconn Hiring Thousands In Preparation of iPhone 5, Some Workers Protesting

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Video of protesting Foxconn employees Foxconn is in the middle of a massive hiring spree while dealing with a large number of protesting workers, according to The China Morning News.
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Foxconn Hiring Thousands In Preparation of iPhone 5, Some Workers Protesting

Video of protesting Foxconn employees

Foxconn is in the middle of a massive hiring spree while dealing with a large number of protesting workers, according to The China Morning News.

More than 20,000 new production jobs will reportedly be added to meet production requirements for the new iPhone. The new hires will be working in a place called Taiyuan in the Shanxi Province of Northern china. The massive increase in manpower is needed to fulfill the 85% of iPhone 5 production orders Foxconn will reported get which equates to an estimated 57 million units per year.

The swift action on Foxconn’s part could be in response to reports of Foxconn employees taking to the streets and protesting over compensation and other workers’ rights. While it is unclear what the precise reason behind the strike is, reports claim the workers haven’t received the full pay raise they were promised ahead of iPhone 5 production.

An entry-level worker at Foxconn is typically paid 1,550 yuan (US$245) per month, rising to to 1,800 yuan (US$285) per month after three months. When bonuses and overtime pay are included, a worker may typically earn between 2,200 and 3,500 yuan (US$345-$550) a month.
    Cheap labor, poor standard of living, massive corporate profits and shiny gadgets.

Source: The China Morning News [via MICGadget]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well you know what, stop comparing everything to the way you live today and look at the way they live back home. The factories look like heaven in comparison

Thanks

Beats working in a rice paddy all day long hoping you have enough food to eat day after day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The fact that people have the security and cash reserve to go on strike from an unskilled labor job in china is a massive step in a positive direction. I hope conditions continue to improve.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

nothing wrong with protesting as long as there is not violence. hope some the protesters dont get recognized, they might loose there jobs.

Thanks

"Cheap labor, poor standard of living, massive corporate profits and shiny gadgets. "

By what standards? You seriously expect every country in the world to have the same living standards as you? Foxconn workers actually have it pretty good compairing to regular factory workers such as a show or garment factory. No AC, poor lighting, dirty environment, all comes standard at all shoe factories.

The top 1% of the world probably thinks you have "poor standard of living."

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

These factories must be gaurded with guns. I mean think about it, people getting paid less than 300$ a month and 1 freakin ipad worth 500 us$. Come on. Theft has GOT to be an issue over there

Thanks

lul.. Foxconn worker make as much a month as an iPhone costs.

Poor people... Smh

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone 6*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i think we gotta stop converting their wages into western currency, look at it this way... how much u think a happymeal would cost over there? to buy/rent a house? stuff like that, u know what i mean... east n west are totally different...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

without the sacrifice of those poor bastards in china, my iphone would cost thousands. let's see:
    exploitation = a cheaper iphone
    yep, seems to work for all of us bleeding heart americans. if anyone truly cares, that person will stop buying u.s. products made in china. good luck with that.
    Last edited by hank197857; 03-25-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks

Guys its not called the Iphone 5 or 6, its just "Iphone", they have to stay uniform with their new marketing form following the new Ipad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Are any of us truly paid what we are worth? I doubt it. The bottom line is its not slave labour. If it were the case I would not buy Apple products. If the Chinese workers can do better elsewhere in China, just leave Apple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone MOJO5873's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! 20,000 jobs. Could imagine if that was here? That is what we need here. But in reality it will never happen. At least there are a lot of out of work people going back to work. Good for them. Something is better than nothing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

At least there's room for a bonus? It's easy to say, that's a crappy job with crap for pay but you can't compare that to our standard in the US. Cost of living and minimum wage is different everywhere.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    "Cheap labor, poor standard of living, massive corporate profits and shiny gadgets. "

By what standards? You seriously expect every country in the world to have the same living standards as you? Foxconn workers actually have it pretty good compairing to regular factory workers such as a show or garment factory. No AC, poor lighting, dirty environment, all comes standard at all shoe factories.

The top 1% of the world probably thinks you have "poor standard of living."
    that's like saying African slaves shouldnt have complained about their conditions because they should have been happy just to be in America.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime Caudebec View Post
    Well you know what, stop comparing everything to the way you live today and look at the way they live back home. The factories look like heaven in comparison
    It doesn't matter how they live back home compared to the factories. That's the whole problem. It's people like you who take things for granted and add to the feeling of entitlement in 1st world countries. If wealth and resources were distributed properly throughout the world we could probably have a good standard of living across the board, but everything revolves around greed. Anyone living in a first world country is very lucky even if we do have our own issues and things could be run a lot better, and yes, in first world countries wealth distribution and economies need work. Even still, it's nothing like living in a down trodden area of a third world country. If anything going to a FACTORY that was 100 times nicer than my home would piss me off like there's no tomorrow because you know that those people aren't giving nearly enough back to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    that's like saying African slaves shouldnt have complained about their conditions because they should have been happy just to be in America.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Simon; 03-25-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Nahhh thats not what hes saying at all.. way to take something way outta proportion.

He says a happy meal over there costs lets say $2 over here is costs $6. Thats all hes saying.. $20 here may not get you far but over there it will.
    If you've ever been on a vacation then you'd know this.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nothing wrong with them trying to get better wages, but comparatively they are doing pretty decent for China.

Let's compare their pay and one of their costs of living to ours. Let's say their making $345, which was the low end estimate with some overtime. The cost of their "rent" is $17 a month. That's about 5% of their monthly pay. In the US for middle/low income people their rent alone is usually 30% or more of their take-home pay.

Now, of course, having to live in a dorm with a bunch of people sucks much more than having your own one bedroom apartment, but it's still a telling example of income vs. expenses in China, which is how you should really be looking at their pay.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    It doesn't matter how they live back home compared to the factories. That's the whole problem. It's people like you who take things for granted and add to the feeling of entitlement in 1st world countries. If wealth and resources were distributed properly throughout the world we could probably have a good standard of living across the board, but everything revolves around greed. Anyone living in a first world country is very lucky even if we do have our own issues and things could be run a lot better, and yes, in first world countries wealth distribution and economies need work. Even still, it's nothing like living in a down trodden area of a third world country. If anything going to a FACTORY that was 100 times nicer than my home would piss me off like there's no tomorrow because you know that those people aren't giving nearly enough back to the community.
    First of all, wealth and resources can't be distributed "properly". For one thing, we wouldn't have wealth if it was all distributed. various regimes tried that. It ended in poverty... Also, you seem to be on your high horse. I am sure you are typing this on a Chinese made product. Shame on you, sir. Either boycott, or stop this hypocrisy. You benefit from the suffering and oppression of others just as much as I do.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings