+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More iPhone Display Rumors: Apple Will Stick With 3.5-Inch Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default More iPhone Display Rumors: Apple Will Stick With 3.5-Inch Display

Another day another rumor from an industry insider saying the exact opposite of a rumor from another industry insider the day before.

Today, the rumor from iMore’s source claims Apple is scheduled to release a new 3.5” LTE iPhone in October. This contrary to reports yesterday that Apple was planning to release a larger screened iPhone with a display somewhere in the 4” category as early as this summer. This new rumor differs not only in the release window, and screen size, but also claims Apple is changing the dock connector. The new connections will be a “micro dock.”

Changing the screen size in one way or another might happen, but the possibility of the next iPhone sporting a 3.5” screen is greater than Apple upping the size of 4.6”. Apple doesn’t like to sacrifice battery life for aesthetics, and upping the resolution and screen size along with adding 4G LTE capabilities means some serious battery jujitsu would need to take place in order for the iPhone to maintain its current battery life (8 hours talk time on 3G, 10 hours of video playback, 6 hours surfing web on 3G, and 9 hours over Wi-Fi).

Screen size aside, Apple does need to bring something new to the design table with the next iPhone. Even if they stop numbering the device releases, the company will need to give something to consumers so they can distinguish between old and new. Cause we’re all that egotistical when it comes to gadgets.

Source: iMore

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Booo

Thanks

eh, i will wait and see what the real iphone will look like when they announce it...
    until then no rumors for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to:

1) Up the screen size;
    2) Make serious changes to the graphical UI (icon redesigns, like the Clock, Calendar and Photos - they look thrown together; no more gloss, etc);
    3) Flashing indicator of missed notifications

There's tons more but the first two should definitely happen...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    They need to:

1) Up the screen size;
    2) Make serious changes to the graphical UI (icon redesigns, like the Clock, Calendar and Photos - they look thrown together; no more gloss, etc);
    3) Flashing indicator of missed notifications

There's tons more but the first two should definitely happen...
    If they did that, it wouldn't be iOS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    If they did that, it wouldn't be iOS.
    Agreed

I don't understand the want of a bigger screen iPhones fit in a pocket make it bigger and it's not going to fit as well

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If the next iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, I might have to consider a Samsung.

Thanks

The iPhone's screen is good the way it is IMO. I hate those phones that are so large that they dont even fit in your pockets
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Rumors are retarded all they are are people that guess on what it will be on earlier predictions. These people's rumors are just rumors they can't back up any of it. They just have more valued opinions because they guessed once and got it right. I mean is it seriously a rumor it's going to be lte? Anyone can predict that then get credit for the prediction even though it basically a fact. It's like if I say " apple will make the product quad core with an a6 processor". It's a no duh statement

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteacup For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (03-24-2012)

Thanks

How About make one regular size for regular and small people. And one large iPhone for the big and tall people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    How About make one regular size for regular and small people. And one large iPhone for the big and tall people.
    Lol I like it. They should sell the big one at the XL clothing stores.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinapaulo View Post
    If the next iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, I might have to consider a Samsung.
    Seconded. The iPhone's tiny-*** screen is woefully inadequate next to today's excellent Android screens.. what worked in 2007 is not gonna cut it in the dramatically different 2012 phone market.

Thanks

If they would just use the entire front for the display it would be great. No need to increase iPhone case dimensions then.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah. I'd like to see the iPhone maintain its current thin and small profile with a power- hogging 4G LTE chip, Siri, FaceTime, retina display and fancy camera tech inside it while keeping the same size battery. That should go well with maybe 4 hours of talk time and 100 hours of standby if you're lucky.

I don't see that working out to well. I just don't.

Guess ill just have to see how the Galaxy S3 turns out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix View Post
    Seconded. The iPhone's tiny-*** screen is woefully inadequate next to today's excellent Android screens.. what worked in 2007 is not gonna cut it in the dramatically different 2012 phone market.
    the dramatically different 2012 market? not sure how the 2012 market is "dramatically" different than 2011? The iPhone 4s still outsold all the 4 plus inch screen androids. I do agree that a screen size increase is needed but nothing to crazy like maybe a 4 inch screen.

A 4.5inch or bigger screen is like watching a teenage boy driving his lifted chevy truck. Sure it looks cool, but the functionality and form factor is ruined.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    +1

I'm thinking apple doesn't want to change the screen size because of apps. Last thing they need is to end up with android headaches for devs when it comes to screen resolution.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    the dramatically different 2012 market? not sure how the 2012 market is "dramatically" different than 2011? The iPhone 4s still outsold all the 4 plus inch screen androids. I do agree that a screen size increase is needed but nothing to crazy like maybe a 4 inch screen.

A 4.5inch or bigger screen is like watching a teenage boy driving his lifted chevy truck. Sure it looks cool, but the functionality and form factor is ruined.
    The iPhone 4/S already measures 4.5" in length! Duh😝
    All that's needed is the complete use of the front glass as a screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Agreed

I don't understand the want of a bigger screen iPhones fit in a pocket make it bigger and it's not going to fit as well
    . No one complains about the big android phones not fitting right in the pocket so I'm pretty sure if apple did a LARGE screen we would be ok. When I put my iPhone in my pocket now it's not like it even takes up that much space anyway. So I say up the screen size we really won't feel the difference.

Thanks

How about we start a rumour that the next iPhone will have a 2.4" screen - if enough people say they really want it then it will counter the people asking for a larger screen and keep it the same as the vast majority of people actually want - ie 3.5"

If MMi continue to post every single rumour about the next iPhone one of them might actually prove to be right.

But I doubt it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    +1

I'm thinking apple doesn't want to change the screen size because of apps. Last thing they need is to end up with android headaches for devs when it comes to screen resolution.
    What would happen is what happened when apple introduced the retina display. Apps and games still looked the same until the companies enhanced there app/ game with an update to fit with apples new changes. Now its the norm. So maybe in the beginning when launching an app/game it will not fill the new larger screen, but it will quickly adapt