+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple and Rival Samsung Claim 90% of Profits from Mobile Handset Industry

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple and Rival Samsung Claim 90% of Profits from Mobile Handset Industry

If you're looking for an example of dominance in the mobile handset space, search no further than Apple and Samsung. On Thursday, UBS Investment Research published a note to investors showcasing just how dominant the two tech giants are when it comes to cleaning up profits in mobile.

The report authors find that 9 out of every 10 dollars generated in this space goes to Apple and Samsung. "The performance disparity between the stronger players – Apple and Samsung – vs. the others remains stark," the note reads, "and these two now account for over 50% of industry revenues and over 90% of total EBIT."

Incredibly, the dominance described above may grow even more before the close of 2012. UBS says the next-gen iPhone will easily be the hottest smartphone release of the year. "The prospects of a complete redesign should drive a stronger than average upgrade cycle for existing iPhone users and continue to encourage other smartphone and non-smartphone users to make the switch," the report reads.

The analysts at UBS say Apple will likely sell 156.5 million iPhone units in the company’s fiscal 2013. That's up up from a prior forecast of 149.5 million units.

Source: UBS (via Barron's)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't forget about the Samsung Galaxy S3....which I'm sure Samsung is keeping in the shadows to try and put a healthy dent in the iPhone 5/6 hype this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 869 Posts

Samsung and Apple are going to be our only choice, and both handsets look nearly identical. Where are the new, innovative designs? We have our choice between a rectangle with rounded corners, or a rectangle with rounded corners.

I really hope we're not stuck with this shape for the next decade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Samsung and Apple are going to be our only choice, and both handsets look nearly identical. Where are the new, innovative designs? We have our choice between a rectangle with rounded corners, or a rectangle with rounded corners.

what are u looking to buy a triangle phone?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

you're joking right? NONE of my 4 Galaxy devices look anything like any Apple iDevice. please show me how you believe the Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone 4/4S look alike?

A combined 90% of the market and yet they constantly sue each other !!!! seriously, WTF ?!?!? how can 2 companies own 90% of a market and STILL want more?
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 03-23-2012 at 08:02 AM.