Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Data Usage Monitor - Watch Yourself Use Your Data In Real Time

Default [Review] Data Usage Monitor - Watch Yourself Use Your Data In Real Time

One thing most smartphone owners, Android owners inclusive, have to keep an eye out for is going over their monthly data cap limits. There are still a handful of people who are on unlimited data plans, but a majority is not. For that purpose, iOS developer Elias Limneos has devised a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Data Usage Monitor so you can view how much of your data is being used in real time from the status bar as you can see from the screenshot above.

Data usage monitor also comes with an extensive preferences pane after being installed from Cydia:

From this preferences pane you have the option to enable and disable the tweak on demand via a switch. Under that, you have the ability to enable this tweak for showing you how much data is being used for personal hotspot, general data usage, or both. Unfortunately, it does not yet support MMS data usage, however Elias may arrange for it in future as he has confirmed via Twitter.

Under those switches, you find a place to set your data maximum. You should manually reset your data maximum after each month to what your cellular provider has capped you at so you can stop yourself from going over your limits and being charged overages. For me, my data maximum is 2GB per month, so I entered 2048MB as my maximum. Directly below is a box to choose the action that will occur when you reach your maximum. By default, it will ask you what to do, however you also have the option to disable cellular data as soon as you reach your limit so you can guarantee yourself from going over your limits.

Below the actual preferences for the tweak, you will find something that looks familiar Ė the iPhoneís realistic cellular data statistics. You can use these as a personal tool to help manage your data usage. One shows your lifetime usage, which actually shows how much data you have used since your last iOS restore. The other one shows you how much data youíve used since the last time you reset the ticker. Itís a good idea to reset this every month so you can keep track of your usage better.

While it appears as if Data Usage Monitor actually replaces your digital clock in your Status bar, it really doesnít. It will only appear as you are using your data connection Ė meaning when information is being sent back and forth. If youíre on 3G and you finish loading a Web site, then you are no longer using your data and it will stop showing in the status bar to display your clock again. The usage indicator will not show up when you are using the Internet on Wi-Fi as you arenít using your cellular data that way.

Data Usage Monitor only shows your download usage, however it doesnít share your upload usage in the status bar. Even though it doesnít show it, itís still actively keeping track in the background to make sure you donít go over that limit you set in the preferences. The ability to disable your cellular data on the spot when you reach your limit is an amazing money-saving option. I highly recommend this tweak for anyone who uses a lot of their data on a daily basis as it will only prove to be useful in the long run.

Name: Data Usage Monitor
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 0.1-4
    Requirements: iOS 4.2+, iPhone
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Elias Limneos
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Elias Limneos

This is awesome, I can finally see how much AT&T throttles my speed since I still have unlimited data

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

^ Agreed. Im purchasing it now. It's very useful information for a variety of reasons.

Cool concept just not for me. I have Verizon unlimited data

My only problem with it is... I have to *manually* reset my month each month...

There should be an input for what day of the month your bill is and then reset automatically on that day every month.

That's a huge oversight right there.

If this feature does not come in an update I will regret buying this.

Really? I had been waiting for this for years and I just switched the the Maxx a week ago.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoltan1600 View Post
    My only problem with it is... I have to *manually* reset my month each month...

There should be an input for what day of the month your bill is and then reset automatically on that day every month.

That's a huge oversight right there.

If this feature does not come in an update I will regret buying this.
    I use WeeTrackData and it has a day of the month reset feature. Check it out.

I can't find this on cydia big boss repo. What is the actual name?

Thanks

I don't really see this being so 'groundbreaking'.. I have an app for this from the AppStore for a very long time called DataUse, which is free BTW. It monitors both Wireless and 3G data. The only thing you don't have, is the real time part, meaning, u gotta open the app to see it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will it reset data count if you respring spring board or hard reset?
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Liveitlive View Post
    I use WeeTrackData and it has a day of the month reset feature. Check it out.
    Too bad it doesn't ask you if you want to turn off data when your close to max. Each one has a flaw of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by hadzo
    Will it reset data count if you respring spring board or hard reset?
    No it won't.