+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reuters Report Claims Next iPhone Will Have Larger Retina Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPhone’s display size hasn’t changed in, like, ever. In Apple-land it’s 3.5-inch or the highway. Unless a new report by Reuters is correct. Apple is reportedly placing orders with
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Reuters Report Claims Next iPhone Will Have Larger Retina Display

The iPhone’s display size hasn’t changed in, like, ever. In Apple-land it’s 3.5-inch or the highway. Unless a new report by Reuters is correct.

Apple is reportedly placing orders with suppliers for 4.6-inch Retina Displays. The new displays will be used in the next iPhone, due out sometime in the second quarter according to Reuters.

Those complaining of Apple’s “tiny” displays compared to some of the competition, if the report is true, will have a rather massive Apple handset to try and fit in their pants. The increased display size would allow Apple room to implement a A5X processor, or perhaps debut the still missing A6 processor. By comparison the Samsung Galaxy S II has a 4.65-inch display, and the Samsung Note (guh, stylus) has a 5-inch screen.

However, the likelihood of this rumor being true is likely low. Well the details anyway. Reports, including specs and thousands of cases designed for a larger iPhone surfaced last year before the iPhone 4S launch. The popular narrative is that Apple ran into production problems with a true iPhone 4 successor, and had prototypes with a larger screen floating around, hence the leaked specs, and thousands of useless cases. Still, these specs included a tapered design with a screen size of roughly 4.2-inches, not quite the massive 4.6-inches reported by Reuters.

Apple’s proven the company is willing to upgrade the displays of their devices, but changing the actual size of the display and the possible aspect ratio can create more problems for developers when producing assets for their apps. This is part of the problem the Android Marketplace has. Not every app can be optimized for a thousand different screens. I’m sure developers would welcome a change just as much as consumers would. As long as that change doesn’t include a stylus.

Source: Reuters [via CNET]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 03-22-2012 at 01:41 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"the likelihood of this rumor being true is likely low"

Such superb writing. You could have added more 'likelys' to this

Thanks

Even if this is unlikely, good god would that be good for me. I am visually impaired and I often just hold the note and drool. Apple is the only company with decent accessibility features, zoom for me, so I am stuck until google gets in line with accessibility issues. 4.2 will still be a big improvement though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally, I hope the rumours are true for once. A 4.6 " screen would be much better suited to web related activity.
    The current screen size was IMHO always too small.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

A 4.6 inch screen would be superb! Other phones have such gorgeous large screens, I wish (and hope) Apple will up the screen size. Just then I might enjoy using landscape mode since more could fit on screen.

(Jeez, could I have said "screen" a few more times?)

Thanks

I really hope this is not true - I have an iPad for a larger screen, the last thing I want is to have to carry a massive phone around. Keep the iPhone the perfect size it is.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

4.6 inch screen, highly doubt it!!! but hey ive been wrong before. 4.6 inches is way to big for a phone screen IMHO, but again thats just me. I have no issues with the iphone size now. I dont ever drop it i can use it with one hand no problems, so i wouldnt mind seing a 4 inch screen just to give it that extra

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say that it would have FACT, as if it didnt people would start running else where,  will defo have larger screen

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I really hope this is not true - I have an iPad for a larger screen, the last thing I want is to have to carry a massive phone around. Keep the iPhone the perfect size it is.
    Bigger is better that's why you bought an iPad.

Thanks

Bigger is better? When it comes to phones? Is this what you want? Reuters Report Claims Next iPhone Will Have Larger Retina Display-storia_1982.jpg
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Bigger screen for larger people would be nice too 😏

Before we start arguing, you do realise that the current iPhone is already 4.5" long, don't you? Why can't Apple redesign the placement of the internal components and external home button to allow for the full use of the front glass as a screen?

Then add 1/2 " to the width and the phone retains almost it's exact dimensions but gives us more screen real estate!

I know it's easier said than done, but that's why Apple are raking in the dough....because design is one of their strong points. Just a thought
    Last edited by iMack007; 03-22-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    3G vs 3G'S' is like comparing a standard BMW to an 'M-Tech' version of the same car. They pretty much look identical, but it's whole 'nother beast beneath the shell.
    The 'S' is for 'Sheer' Power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post

Before we start arguing, you do realise that the current iPhone is already 4.5" long, don't you? Why can't Apple redesign the placement of the internal components and external home button to allow for the full use of the front glass as a screen?

Then add 1/2 " to the width and the phone retains almost it's exact dimensions but gives us more screen real estate!

I know it's easier said than done, but that's why Apple are raking in the dough....because design is one of their strong points. Just a thought
    I concur. Larger screen, essentially the same size phone would be ideal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post

I'd be ok with a bigger screen fitting in the existing dimensions of the iPhone. But, I don't want a bigger handset. I remember in 2007 when many were complaining it was 'too big to fit in your pocket' or that you 'look like a dork holding the huge thing on your head'.

My, how times have changed.

If I need a big display, I can use a tablet/iPad. I can see more screen real estate on the existing frame, but not a bigger frame. And for big-finger complainers, what did you use before the iPhone? Maybe apple can come up with a better way to zoom the keyboard. Maybe they can provide some old school emulation, and give you a numeric keypad, with T5 text entry.

Thanks

Default This is what I want...
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Bigger is better? When it comes to phones? Is this what you want? Attachment 574804

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    Lol agree!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'd like it a little bigger. . Like maybe 4 inches

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No, I want a phone. Not a half phone half tablet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have been reading this for years.
    You say 3.5 inch is the best for phone, now you say is 4.6 inch.
    Tomorrow you will say 3.5 inch is the best again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikepa View Post
    "the likelihood of this rumor being true is likely low"

such superb writing. You could have added more 'likelys' to this
    xdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxd xdxdxdxdxdxd

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Give me 4+ inches on that screen and i'll ditch my Maxx.