+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Mail Enhancer Pro - The Best Choice for Making iOS Email Better

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Mail Enhancer Pro - The Best Choice for Making iOS Email Better

If you recall Stefan Möllenkamp’s famous Mail Enhancer jailbreak tweak for iOS’s stock Mail application and thought it was extraordinary, then you will be very delighted to hear about his greenest release, Mail Enhancer Pro. Coming with full iOS 5 support and even more features, Mail Enhancer Pro brings the Mail application to a whole new level of usability and user-friendliness. It comes with tons of new customization settings the Mail application never had before:

Most of Mail Enhancer Pro’s features can be found in our Mail Enhancer review, so to keep things simple we will just list those out for you and then explain the newer features more in depth. The features Mail Enhancer Pro adopts from Mail Enhancer include:
    • The ability to set up to three kinds of signatures for each email account
    • Auto-translation of HTML code as you type
    • Customization for how notifications alert you via priority settings for each email account
    • The ability to change how your e-mail senders' names appear
    • E-mail highlighting for easier message discerning

New features include: 1. Swipe actions for quickly deleting, flagging, or marking any e-mail message as read. The swipe actions prove faster than having to manually tap the edit button and select them all one by one to do these actions; 2. Rules for actions such as auto-deleting certain senders’ e-mails; 3. Rules for notifications such as automatically marking them read; 4. Less memory usage and a faster interface response.

Unfortunately removed from Mail Enhancer Pro is the Quiet Hours feature and the ability customize the text for popups. The Quiet Hours feature allowed you to set a certain time window where you would receive no notifications from e-mail; great for sleeping at night.

In the turn of Mail Enhancer Pro having full iOS 5 support, the predecessor Mail Enhancer only has partial iOS 5 support and will be updated again some time this summer for iOS 5 support. What’s more is Mail Enhancer Pro will continue to have more features than Mail Enhancer even after this update.

If you are a Mail Enhancer customer, you will get a discount from Mail Enhancer Pro. If you purchased Mail Enhancer between January 17, 2011 and April 6, 2011, then Mail Enhancer Pro is a $3 upgrade. If you purchased Mail Enhancer between April 6, 2011 and June 13, 2011, then Mail Enhancer Pro is a $2 upgrade. If you purchased Mail Enhancer between June 13, 2011 and March 20, 2012, then Mail Enhancer Pro is a free upgrade. All new customers will have to pay the full-blown $4.99 for Mail Enhancer Pro. For overlapping dates, certain times apply; Cydia will tell you how much you are eligible for paying.

If you aren't sure whether Mail Enhancer Pro will be useful for you or not, here are some instructions for toying around with a free trial, compliments of the developer.

Name: Mail Enhancer Pro
    Price: $4.99 (upgrade pricing available) + FREE trial
    Version: 1.0-2
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Stefan Möllenkamp
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Sources: Stefan Möllenkamp

Thanks
    looks alright that - not that i would prob get it. Bit of a pain checking emails on your phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ssemmel's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this compatible with the iPad?

Thanks

I was thrilled that my upgrade was free, but then I saw the removal of quiet hours.

This is the main reason I purchased Mail Enhancer last year, so I'll be going back to the regular version.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I use the snot out of Mail Enhancer. I've got it loaded on both my iPhone 4 and my iPad 2. I've got high priority notifications set up on my phone for my work email, so that I can tell which email account i received a message on simply by the assigned sound. I also use the quiet hours feature during the night to silence that annoying tone I assigned to my work account. I love the HTML signatures I can customize - now you cannot tell if I send a work email from my laptop, iPad or iPhone - they all look the same. I love that freedom!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Am I safe to assume that this doesn't work with email viewing through IntelliScreenX? If it did I would probably get it because the highlighting looks really useful to know which email account my mail is going to, but I only ever view my mail through ISX.

Edit: Confirmed through trial version that highlights do not work in ISX
    Last edited by Rich.; 03-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I think this developer is abusive. I purchased a year ago for $2.99 and at the time I thought it was a bit expensive but I wanted to show my support to developers, now he wants an additional $2.00 as I said abusive.

The question is, is this worth $4.99 he seems to think so....

And the next update another $2.00...

Not worth it in my opinion

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah that sounds like abuse..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i wouldn't say it is abusive, but it does set a bad taste in my mouth, especially considering it removes a major feature, the "quiet hours" (even if they were a pain in the @$$ to set up they were great for keeping me undisturbed at night). i do hope he brings that back to the "pro" version. i paid $3 for mail enhancer, and i'm paying another $3 for "pro", but i can say i've certainly gotten my money's use out of it. one of my "must have" hacks along with intelliscreen. the mailbox color highlighting is amazing when you have a dozen email boxes (work and home) that i have to deal with. i can tell at a glance if i need to read a message right now or not.

the custom notifications are very handy, especially to just quiet some of your less important mailboxes, no need to know immediately when those get messages. i can't say i've ever used the HTML features, but i'm sure someone finds them useful. the different sigs for accounts are also very useful (one for personal, one for work), don't know how much i'll use the randomization feature.

the code has been very stable, only once causing me issues with mail.app, and the author released an update to the bug very quickly.

it did work fine on my ipad 2, we'll see how it works on my new ipad when the jailbreak for that finally comes out.

my opinion, if you use email extensively on your iOS devices, this is worth the price paid for it. apple could learn a few things.

one complaint about upgrading, it doesn't import your mail enhancer settings, so you'll have to re-do everything. one complaint about the UI. selecting colors, wish there was a way to input web safe colors for consistency (#F4F4F2 and such).
    Last edited by scottjl; 03-21-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks

Ugh, since I upgraded my phone keeps respringing into "safe mode" at least once a hour (and i've rebooted twice just to see if that would clear things up). only change i made was the upgrade. reverting back to the non-pro version.

Thanks

So does mine!!

stm
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Need to clarify a few things.
    1. Most people that did purchase the original version (= people that purchased during the last 9 months) got a free upgrade. Only people that paid $ 1.99 / 2.99 for the basic version had to pay the difference (so thats $ 3 / 2) to $ 4.99 (that is the price for the Pro version if you never had Mail Enhancer installed before). The upgrade to Pro is the users choice and you will be able to use Mail Enhancer basic as long as you want to. The basic version will be updated at the end of May bringing better compatibility plus fixing a few bugs (though the features will be limited in comparison to Pro. Features in comparison to the current Basic version won't change, except that emails are notified one by one).
    No one forces you to upgrade and I think it is just fair to charge for an upgrade that I worked hard for for several months. You don't go to the baker and say "I've bought a roll last year, so just give me another one for free now." - that would be abusive in my opinion.

2. Quiet Hours have been temporarily removed in the Pro version because they weren't working for everyone. Handling different timezones is a very complex thing to do - as you can see if you just google "Apple Alarm not working". Quiet Hours will be added again at the end of May using a completely new UI.

3. An update fixing all outstanding issues I've been notified about will be available within the next 48 hours.

Again: I'd love to update the basic version and re-add Quiet Hours to Pro in this very moment, but unfortunately I am very busy studying for my bar exam. Because Mail Enhancer basic had a few incompatibilities with iOS 5, I decided to quickly push Pro to Cydia so you won't have to wait until may for that.

Thank you all for your support!
    Kind Regards
    Stefan

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the update, puts a personal side to it, that we should all be able to relate. I love this program, I was a little bummed when I read quiet hours was removed, now that I know it is on its way back. I am happy to wait for the update.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!!
    Last edited by posrjak; 03-22-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks

Does anyone know if the respring into safe mode was fixed in the update?

Thanks

welcome back. but how do you think of the Mail Enhancer last year?
    I can't stop laughing!

Thanks

pro version caused me to respring constantly. i went back to the non-pro version for now, resprings are gone. i'll try pro again when it is updated.

Thanks

I have had no respringing issues with the update. I have been on the update for about 12 hours, but most have been sleeping hours. Will update if I see any issues today.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I was thrilled that my upgrade was free, but then I saw the removal of quiet hours.

This is the main reason I purchased Mail Enhancer last year, so I'll be going back to the regular version.
    I'm not upgrading because of this as well. Read where it'll be added at the end of May. I'll upgrade if it truly gets added back in.
    Last edited by edwilk55; 03-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks

Update should be coming soon. At least according to his twitter account.