+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Sparrow Push - Add Push Notifications to Sparrow

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Sparrow Push - Add Push Notifications to Sparrow

If you are one of the many people who wanted Sparrow because it looks and works nicer than Apple’s Mail application, however you were disappointed because it didn’t support push notifications, then a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed Sparrow Push by iOS developer Kim Streich might be something you want to install to increase your satisfaction with the Sparrow application. Note: You will still need to pay for the Sparrow application – a $2.99 cost.

Sparrow Push makes it so you can get push notifications from Sparrow when you receive e-mails. At this point in time, push notifications are limited to simply badges. None of the notifications will bring up banners, lock screen notifications, or Notification Center notifications. The developer will be adding these features in the near future, however due to the work that needs to be put into it, he has just released the badge support for now.

Sparrow Push doesn’t add any notification preferences to the Settings application. Alternatively, push notifications are enabled and disabled directly from the settings of the Sparrow application as shown by the screenshot above. Sparrow Push helps make Sparrow more iOS-friendly and we really look forward to the future updates as the badges alone don’t really make Sparrow any realistic competition for the Mail application.

Because of the implementation of Sparrow Push, the Sparrow application needs to be running in the background for any push notifications to be visible – this is a small downside, however it isn’t too hard to leave the application running on purpose.

I asked Kim why he created Sparrow Push:

Anthony: What was your motivation for making this tweak?
    Kim: My motivation was that I really, really loved Sparrow and I was just wishing Apple would not cripple it. I am frustrated at how they are preventing innovation. So I decided to fix it. I wanted to use Sparrow the way it was meant to be used by the developers; it had push in the beta version.

If you like Sparrow, I highly recommend this tweak for you. It's free and it will continue to gain new features as time progresses including not only the added notification support, but also integration for mailto: links – these will all be free updates.

Name: Sparrow Push
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-2
    Requirements: Sparrow, iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Kim Streich
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Kim Streich

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

This works flawlessly. I installed this today and love it. Thank you!

Green Apple
    Thanks

It seems that apparently music playback stops on exiting certain apps, so far I only know of the basic music app and spotify, but it should affect all background streaming/playing apps.

What's Jailbreak? iphoneprogrammer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
    It seems that apparently music playback stops on exiting certain apps, so far I only know of the basic music app and spotify, but it should affect all background streaming/playing apps.
    It causes the music playback to stop when ever you exit the music application. I think its killing that background process when ever the process gets backgrounded.....wow. redundant as hell haha.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

He fixed it in a new update. Too bad I upgraded my 4S to 5.1 so I can't use this...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

The bug affecting music applications has been fixed.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

There isn't a notification for the mail? Or am i blind and can't see it

What's Jailbreak? iphoneprogrammer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3zl0 View Post
    He fixed it in a new update. Too bad I upgraded my 4S to 5.1 so I can't use this...
    same here. Though Im sure a 5.1 untether will be released soon.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Don't like this push is very slow I normally got refresh it manually to see my new emails

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree sometimes the push is fast but most of the time I need to open sparrow and refresh

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just installed on iPhone 4 iOS 5.1.1. Tweak doesn't work and doesn't show up in Settings.