+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Install iPhoto On Your iOS 5.0.1 Device

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When Apple unveiled iPhoto for the iOS device lineup, they officially completed the mobile iLife application set. iPhoto makes it fun and easy to manage and edit your photographs on
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default [How To] Install iPhoto On Your iOS 5.0.1 Device

When Apple unveiled iPhoto for the iOS device lineup, they officially completed the mobile iLife application set. iPhoto makes it fun and easy to manage and edit your photographs on your iDevice. Unfortunately, they made it so it would only install on iOS 5.1 devices. This was purely meant to screw around with jailbreakers as it turns out iPhoto runs perfectly fine on iOS 5.0.1; even when jailbroken. This is a guide to show you how to install iPhoto on your iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken iDevice and anyone is capable of doing this. Note that this is done at your own risk.

You will need:
    • A jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 device with OpenSSH installed
    • An SSH application (we used Transmit)
    • A text editor (we used TextEdit)

The first step in getting ready to get iPhoto on your iOS 5.0.1 device is to trick the App Store into thinking you are running iOS 5.1. To do this, we simply have to edit a '.plist' file. For this, you will need to SSH into your iPhone and navigate to: /System/Library/CoreServices and then open SystemVersion.plist with a text editing application. Once open, edit the string indicating that you are running 5.0.1 so it says 5.1 instead. After that, save the file and make sure the changes saved correctly on your iDevice. If they did, then respring the iDevice and move on to the next step. If they didn't then try again:

After you respring the iDevice subsequent to editing the '.plist' file, you can launch the App Store and purchase and download iPhoto. Wait patiently as it downloads and installs as we cannot move on until the application is physically on the iDevice. Don't try launching the application when it finishes installing because it will simply crash.

Once you’re finished installing iPhoto, launch the Cydia application and search for and install iPhoto501Fix by iOS developer typ0s2d10. This jailbreak tweak is free and will patch iPhoto to make it run in an iOS 5.0.1 environment even though it was intended to only run in an iOS 5.1 environment:

After Cydia finishes installing the tweak, you will be prompted to respring. Congratulations! – Enjoy iPhoto on your iOS 5.0.1 device:

Optional:
    Once finished installing and patching iPhoto, navigate to: /System/Library/CoreServices and then open SystemVersion.plist with a text editing application. Once open, edit the string indicating that you are running 5.1 so it says 5.0.1 instead. After that, save the file and make sure the changes saved correctly on your iDevice. If they did, then respring. This will set your system-wide version back to iOS 5.0.1 and iPhoto will still run normally.

NOTE:

This is very important. Editing SystemVersion.plist is dangerous – it can cause unexpected behavior from Cydia and from other tweaks and applications. Saurik explained this on a different forum – here's a quote:

My official position is that once you edit that file you enter "game over" and need to restore: many things use the firmware version to find out what they need to do at any given moment, or what is compatible with your specific system, and faking it out is going to make all of that unhappy. The people who care about iPhoto on this device should /not/, under any circumstance, be recommending firmware changing behavior: they should write a Substrate extension that modifies the App Store to bypass this check for this one particular application.

In the case of a 4S, you can get yourself really really screwed: eventually (after a reboot, upgrade, etc.), Cydia is going to notice that you somehow managed to install Corona on a "5.1" device (which Corona is not compatible with), and it will queue an uninstall of your untether. The next jailbreak the device will not be jailbroken anymore, I am pretty certain absinthe will balk (and even if not, "re-jailbreaking" causes all kinds of other problems), and a restore isn't possible anymore (unless you want to upgrade to the currently-unjailbreakable 5.1).
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So... would this work with other apps that require 5.1 such as iMovie?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So... would this work with other apps that require 5.1 such as iMovie?
    There aren't any patches for those applications.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doesn't work, just repeatedly changes the file back to 5.0.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Lovely... this is why I love jailbreaking! Everyone asks why do I jailbreak.. this is a great reason!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeveIV View Post
    Sounds to me like you aren't overwriting the file correctly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone big_frog's Avatar
    Thanks

very nice but can you tell me where to download the iphone background that shows in the pic

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm confused, I installed iPhoto on my iPad ios 5.0.1 without doing this yet it still works?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does this work on an iPod touch?

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Or you can do it the good way. There is a tweak in cydia that I have had for days now that fixes it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hmm. Is there anything in iPhoto that Photogene can't do???

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

don' t reboot inbetween steps, cydia will uninstall corona and you loose untether - set plist back to 5.01 in any case, if not on reboot you will loose untether!!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tosbsas View Post
    don' t reboot inbetween steps, cydia will uninstall corona and you loose untether - set plist back to 5.01 in any case, if not on reboot you will loose untether!!
    Don't reboot just respring

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeveIV View Post
    I used iFile to change it and it worked great. I couldn't figure out why cydia was trying to uninstall corona and I didn't check MMi and had to look for the answer myself.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

would be cool to get chronicdev or saurik to change corona to accept fake 5.1 too

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I highly recommend using iFile to do this.

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 918 Posts

I did this and it works fine until I synced with iTunes and it comes up saying that iPhoto wasn't installed because you need to be on 5.1...but just went and installed it again

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There's an app for this in cydia called like iPhoto fix 5.0.1

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 918 Posts

I've installed the photo fix...but that's iTunes for you it knows your on 5.0.1

Thanks

I found an issue with backing up to iTunes, iTunes keeps saying the computer is not authorised for this app and when u click to authorise it says computer is authorised (computer 3 out of 5) and then repeats the process!