+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Install iPhoto On Your iOS 5.0.1 Device

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by brittag saurik's advice explains that there is a known danger if you leave the iOS version at 5.1, and explains that there may be other mysterious problems
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brittag View Post
    saurik's advice explains that there is a known danger if you leave the iOS version at 5.1, and explains that there may be other mysterious problems caused by this plist edit - we don't know what all the problems could be.

There is also a significant risk of making a typo while editing the plist - you can mess it up in ways that are hard to fix if you haven't made a backup copy of that file. There's already a thread on this forum where multiple people are reporting having that problem and trying to fix it together.

It's just way more risky than doing normal things like installing tweaks from default repositories. Part of the fun of having a jailbroken device is having the freedom to do all kinds of crazy things with it, but it's good for people to understand the different kinds of risks when you do different crazy things.
    No where in his quotes does it say if you "leave" the plist at 5.1 you are in danger. The entire quote insinuates you can't change the plist back to 5.0.1! I've changed it back and Cydia at the bottom of the home page reads my device as being on FW 5.0.1! That's all that matters. If left at 5.1 you will no doubt have problems because nothing is compatible with 5.1! That's what he is saying. Instantly a Activator issue popped up for me but when switched back all is normal. This should be considered a option for those with experience only! If somebody can't change two digits correctly in a plist than they have no business in that plist in the first place. Regardless it takes two seconds to create a copy of that plist and leave it right next to the original.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    No where in his quotes does it say if you "leave" the plist at 5.1 you are in danger. The entire quote insinuates you can't change the plist back to 5.0.1! I've changed it back and Cydia at the bottom of the home page reads my device as being on FW 5.0.1! That's all that matters. If left at 5.1 you will no doubt have problems because nothing is compatible with 5.1! That's what he is saying. Instantly a Activator issue popped up for me but when switched back all is normal. This should be considered a option for those with experience only! If somebody can't change two digits correctly in a plist than they have no business in that plist in the first place. Regardless it takes two seconds to create a copy of that plist and leave it right next to the original.
    In Sauriks post, he mentions once you edit the plist, you enter "game over mode". This makes me believe that once you have edited the plist, even if you re-edit it back to its original state, the plist has still....lost its virginity, so to speak. Like I said, that's just what it makes me think. Anyone know if that is true?

Normally, I wouldnt have any problem tweaking my phone, plist, anything, in anyway, because I could always restore to a jailbroken firmware.....But at the moment, this is not a option.
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 03-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    El Zurdo

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    In Sauriks post, he mentions once you edit the plist, you enter "game over mode". This makes me believe that once you have edited the plist, even if you re-edit it back to its original state, the plist has still....lost its virginity, so to speak. Like I said, that's just what it makes me think. Anyone know if that is true?

Normally, I wouldnt have any problem tweaking my phone, plist, anything, in anyway, because I could always restore to a jailbroken firmware.....But at the moment, this is not a option.
    Great question, to my knowledge a plist is nothing but a folder holding info. You could make a new one from scratch and replace the original. Even in that help thread referenced above people are sharing the plist and it's fixing the people's phones that are messed up. So to my knowledge the plist can be changed as many times as desired. The problem is when trying to install apps or the apps need reference as to the devices FW it must be on 5.0.1 or it will confuse it basically. But the actual Plist doesn't have a virginity so to speak. It's just text written in a file. But a very reasonable question my friend. And to clarify I don't suggest people do this if they have any worries about it. I myself am also comfortable based on having multiple devices so loosing one for a bit wouldn't be as significant. Problem is people don't follow direction. Backing up files should be second nature this far in the phone modifying game and the entire thread asking for help are people that didn't do this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I followed the directions and so far so good for me. At first I did loose my settings app icon but after a few reboots it back to normal. I changed the plist file back to 5.0.1 and the activator error went away. Now iPhoto is working fine.
    Not sure what Saurik meant when he said you enter "Game Over". Can anyone elaborate on this?

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

I believe the main concern is just that while the device is faking iOS 5.1, random weird things can happen. If you change it to 5.1 and then immediately change it back to 5.0.1, minimal random weird things will probably happen, but it's hard to tell.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

This just may be the single most intelligent, helpful, on topic thread I have ever read here on MMI (knocking on wood)...Thanks for all the knowledge and thoughts guys!

I have a 4s, have my 4 laying around...might try this just out of curiosity!!
    El Zurdo

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got it to work by first changing the file to 5.1, then i downloaded iphoto but not from appstore but my browser, then put it in itunes which btw I never read 5.1 but it did remove the update/remove banner, then just installed it from there without any warnings from itues. After just went to cydia and got the fix, changed the file back to 5.0.1 and respring and that's it. So far no problems with any app.

Thanks

I installed iPhoto and then iphoto501fix from cydia, the app crashes when i try to use different tools. No issues with any other functions on my 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeveIV View Post
    Doesn't work, just repeatedly changes the file back to 5.0.1
    there must be some problem. then do you fix it?
    I can't stop laughing!

rcm
    Thanks

Hi, you thought i should let you guys know that this also helps with iMovie. I got on ios 5.0.1 and it works.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, i did this and it works fine for me ... but when i sync with iTunes it removes the iPhoto app automatically and I have to install it again ... any solutions regarding this ???

Thanks

Install *mod edit* iOS 5+

Cracked apps and warez on this site are against the rules.
    Last edited by 2k1; 03-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    I followed the directions and so far so good for me. At first I did loose my settings app icon but after a few reboots it back to normal. I changed the plist file back to 5.0.1 and the activator error went away. Now iPhoto is working fine.
    Not sure what Saurik meant when he said you enter "Game Over". Can anyone elaborate on this?
    It can mess up your ability to access the App Store to start.

That's what happened to me. No matter what I did, no matter how many times I edited it back, nothing would fix it.

I was ready to upgrade to 5.1 (and kill my jailbreak) when I gave it one last shot and replaced the file with one from another iPhone and it solved the problem.

So far, those are the only two ways I've seen to fix this issue.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hello everyone~ I wanted to use iPhoto on my iPhone 4s running iOS 5.0.1 so I installed iPhoto501Fix. Although the program functioned flawlessly, SpringBoard now crashes when I activate IntelliScreenX, SB Settigs or when I press the Sleep button. Logically, I removed iPhoto501Fix... BUT, the problem still persists! Using iFile I navigated to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries & looked for any remnants of iPhoto501Fix, but there was nothing & I have already re-edited my SystemVersionPlist back to 5.0.1.

Now I keep my phone in Safe Mode otherwise it Resprings into Safe Mode everytime it goes to sleep.

I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could help...

Green Apple
    Thanks

BEWARE READERS... because after I did this, my iPhone 4s on iOS 5.0.1 crashes EVERYTIME I try to bring down my IntelliScreenX or SB Settings drop down menu OR also when I press the Sleep Button OR even when the phone goes into sleep mode. Yes, I uninstalled iPhoto501Fix & also changed my SystemVersion.plist back to 5.0.1 BUT the problem STILL persists!!!

PROCEDE @ YOUR OWN RISK!!!

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123