+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Install iPhoto On Your iOS 5.0.1 Device

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Truckerbear Lovely... this is why I love jailbreaking! Everyone asks why do I jailbreak.. this is a great reason! Of course if you didn't jailbreak you could
    My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Lovely... this is why I love jailbreaking! Everyone asks why do I jailbreak.. this is a great reason!
    Of course if you didn't jailbreak you could upgrade to 5.1

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    I found an issue with backing up to iTunes, iTunes keeps saying the computer is not authorised for this app and when u click to authorise it says computer is authorised (computer 3 out of 5) and then repeats the process!
    I also got that appearing on iTunes to

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yep, that's the problem - you have to set back your plist to 5.1 - and reboot. But when you do this you can't install anything from cydia cause it will automatically uninstall corona - that's why I am saying - get saurik to remove the restriction in corona so that it works with 5.1 fake too

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tosbsas View Post
    yep, that's the problem - you have to set back your plist to 5.1 - and reboot. But when you do this you can't install anything from cydia cause it will automatically uninstall corona - that's why I am saying - get saurik to remove the restriction in corona so that it works with 5.1 fake too
    That would be a good idea...but wouldn't that mean people would have to make lots of fixes for the apps that only work with 5.1 unless there isn't that many apps that only work with 5.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    There's an app for this in cydia called like iPhoto fix 5.0.1
    If you had read the whole article it tells you to dl this. But iphoto fix only works after you get iphoto on your device. And you can only do that by editing the plist. All iphoto fix does is fix the crash that happens when you try to open the app on 5.0.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I used iFile. Piece of cake. The only issue I'm having is the constant "updating photo library" after every photo I edit and it takes 4ever or just crashes. I also get the Activator not compatible with this version upon respring or reboot. Not a big deal, thanks for the ignore button.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

Downloaded iPhoto first, resprung, added iPhoto fix 5.0.1 from cydia, resprung. All works great, didn't have to edit plist file.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So... would this work with other apps that require 5.1 such as iMovie?
    I have latest iMovie running fine on 5.0.1, just do a YouTube search its easy.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I got it to work. Thats guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iMatty35 View Post
    I used iFile. Piece of cake. The only issue I'm having is the constant "updating photo library" after every photo I edit and it takes 4ever or just crashes. I also get the Activator not compatible with this version upon respring or reboot. Not a big deal, thanks for the ignore button.
    Go back and change string back to 5.0.1! That will fix the activator issue.

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tosbsas View Post
    don' t reboot inbetween steps, cydia will uninstall corona and you loose untether - set plist back to 5.01 in any case, if not on reboot you will loose untether!!
    This is very important. Editing SystemVersion.plist is dangerous - it causes unexpected behavior from Cydia and from other tweaks and apps. saurik explained this on a different forum - here's a quote:

My official position is that once you edit that file you enter "game over" and need to restore: many things use the firmware version to find out what they need to do at any given moment, or what is compatible with your specific system, and faking it out is going to make all of that unhappy. The people who care about iPhoto on this device should /not/, under any circumstance, be recommending firmware changing behavior: they should write a Substrate extension that modifies the App Store to bypass this check for this one particular application.

In the case of a 4S, you can get yourself really really screwed: eventually (after a reboot, upgrade, etc.), Cydia is going to notice that you somehow managed to install Corona on a "5.1" device (which Corona is not compatible with), and it will queue an uninstall of your untether. The next jailbreak the device will not be jailbroken anymore, I am pretty certain absinthe will balk (and even if not, "re-jailbreaking" causes all kinds of other problems), and a restore isn't possible anymore (unless you want to upgrade to the currently-unjailbreakable 5.1).

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed iPhoto501 fix from cydia, now I can't send pics over iMessage tryed everything to fix No joy so annoyed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes it works for iMovie,it doesn't even need the iBook fix from cydia to work.just change the plist file,Respring and download iMovie.beware.after changing the plist file and installing the fix tweak,I lost my Siri connection.i uninstalled iPhoto and changed everything back but a week l8r,still no spire connection.id stay away from the iPhoto app.its not worth it

Thanks

I installed iPhoto After i install The fix from cydia then i changed back The plist via ifile respring reboot and all Works perfect Good Job thx i Love this!
    Had no Problem with my 4s!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best13 View Post
    I installed iPhoto After i install The fix from cydia then i changed back The plist via ifile respring reboot and all Works perfect Good Job thx i Love this!
    Had no Problem with my 4s!!!
    I had same results! It's worked great. I think the major thing that needs to be emphasized is going back immediately and changing the plist firmware back to 5.0.1! Prior to doing this my SB was a hot mess. The activator incompatibility box popped up, my CK was gone and my statusbar clock was on even though I have it turned off with "clear status" tweak. As soon as I switched the FW version back all was good. I tested Siri and iMessage picture delivery and all gravy. After reading Sauricks comments on this "fix"! It seams this is the most important part of the process.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I edited that plist and now shows in cydia topline on start page 5.1 too among the older ones. Maybe shoudve edited plist bact to 5.0.1 b4 installing that fix. Everything seems to work ok though. Maybe one shouldnt mess with these system files.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antsu View Post
    I edited that plist and now shows in cydia topline on start page 5.1 too among the older ones. Maybe shoudve edited plist bact to 5.0.1 b4 installing that fix. Everything seems to work ok though. Maybe one shouldnt mess with these system files.
    That doesn't matter. Those are blobs. Scroll all the way to the bottom and that tells you what FW Cydia sees on your device. If you switch FW back to 5.0.1 that's what it should say.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brittag View Post
    This is very important. Editing SystemVersion.plist is dangerous - it causes unexpected behavior from Cydia and from other tweaks and apps. saurik explained this on a different forum - here's a quote:
    I will not be trying this....If there is even a .0001 % chance of losing my jailbreak, there is no way in hell I would risk it just for iPhoto....I would love to try the app out, but after reading Sauriks comments...I think I will wait.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    I will not be trying this....If there is even a .0001 % chance of losing my jailbreak, there is no way in hell I would risk it just for iPhoto....I would love to try the app out, but after reading Sauriks comments...I think I will wait.
    That's understandable. However every tweak you put on your phone represents a slight chance of loosing your jailbreak. Saurick seems to advise as if the plist can't be changed back to 5.0.1! Your at risk only as long as you leave the FW at 5.1! That process is simply to trick the AppStore into allowing the app to be installed. Once it's installed then switch it back. Simple as! iPhoto is sweet! But if you aren't confident definitely don't try it.

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    That's understandable. However every tweak you put on your phone represents a slight chance of loosing your jailbreak. Saurick seems to advise as if the plist can't be changed back to 5.0.1! Your at risk only as long as you leave the FW at 5.1! That process is simply to trick the AppStore into allowing the app to be installed. Once it's installed then switch it back. Simple as! iPhoto is sweet! But if you aren't confident definitely don't try it.
    saurik's advice explains that there is a known danger if you leave the iOS version at 5.1, and explains that there may be other mysterious problems caused by this plist edit - we don't know what all the problems could be.

There is also a significant risk of making a typo while editing the plist - you can mess it up in ways that are hard to fix if you haven't made a backup copy of that file. There's already a thread on this forum where multiple people are reporting having that problem and trying to fix it together.

It's just way more risky than doing normal things like installing tweaks from default repositories. Part of the fun of having a jailbroken device is having the freedom to do all kinds of crazy things with it, but it's good for people to understand the different kinds of risks when you do different crazy things.