+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Lettore - Keep Safari's Reader Button Accessible At All Times

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Lettore - Keep Safari's Reader Button Accessible At All Times

If you have been able to try out OS X Mountain Lion yet, then you may have noticed the Reader button in the URL bar of Safari 5.2, which helps bring text out of all the clutter of images and ads, is always visible whether it can be used or not. In iOS 5 and in Mac OS X Lion, the Reader button is only available in the Safari URL bar when a page is capable of being displayed in Reader view. If you want iOS to react more like the current build of OS X Mountain Lion's Safari 5.2, then there’s a new free jailbreak tweak that might be for you.

Dubbed Lettore, by iOS developer rvirajm, you can now have the Mobile Safari Reader button appear in the URL bar no matter what. It will load on every page you bring up, whether it is capable of rendering the Web page in Reader mode or not. If the Web site is capable of being viewed in Reader mode, the button will work. However, if the Web site is not capable of being viewed in Rader mode, the button will still appear, but tapping it will yield no response.

The usefulness of the tweak is moot as it does not come with any important functionality you cannot live without, although some people like the Reader button displaying at all times in the URL bar. The tweak unifies the appearance of Safari between iOS 5 and OS X Mountain Lion and really does nothing else. Lettore does not break Reader functionality for Web sites already supporting Reader.

If you don't like clutter on your screen with no functionality, then Lettore probably isn't for you. Lettore does not have any preferences to configure from the Settings application, nor are any icons added to the home screen. There is no way to enable or disable this tweak, so you will have to uninstall it when you get tired of having an dysfunctional Reader button in the URL bar of Safari when a Web site you visit doesn’t support Reader.

Name: Lettore
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: rvirajm
    Editor's Rating:  2/5

Sources: rvirajm

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I use Reader a lot in Safari on iOS. One thing that bugs me is that I always have to wait for the full page to load (mostly the freakin' ads...this site is definitely guilty of that too, to the point where I want to quit coming to the website) before the Reader button appears. I'll have to try this out and see if tapping Reader on Reader-friendly pages before it finishes loading will help.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The worst thing about this site on Mobilesafari is the popup that I get EVERY time I visit asking me to download the app. I don't like using the app unless I want to comment, or read comments that sometimes don't want to show up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    The worst thing about this site on Mobilesafari is the popup that I get EVERY time I visit asking me to download the app. I don't like using the app unless I want to comment, or read comments that sometimes don't want to show up.
    haha, just like you don't like going in a shop unless you want to buy something.
    I can't stop laughing!