+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Path Co-Founder Dave Morin Grilled by Tim Cook Over Previous Privacy Issue

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Path Co-Founder Dave Morin Grilled by Tim Cook Over Previous Privacy Issue

A new report from Bloomberg’s BusinessWeek claims that Apple CEO Tim Cook “hauled” Dave Morin (co-founder of the company that developed the Path app) into Apple’s Cupertino headquarters to grill him and other executives after hearing about the privacy violation.

This all took place after a developer discovered the behind-the-scenes upload feature in February. Although Path wasn’t the only app uploading users’ address books, its high-profile re-launch left the app in an unfortunate spotlight causing controversy. The whole issue ended up striking a nerve with users and the media which led to strong criticism of the app as a whole. The company was quick to apologize and remove the feature from its software to appease everyone complaining.

Apple was quick to distance itself from the situation by stating that apps that collect or transmit personal information without obtaining permission are in violation of its guidelines. The Cupertino California company promised to require explicit user approval before apps access contact data in future releases.

The issue has attracted the attention of lawmakers recently as two U.S. congressmen sent a letter to Cook over the address book issue. Furthermore, Senator Charles Schumer called for an FTC investigation of Apple and Google over both the address book controversy and a potential loophole with geo-tagged photos. Both companies have responded by showing interest in meeting with the senator to discuss his concerns.

Although Path was the one in the spotlight, many apps were guilty of having the same feature as pointed out by several iOS developers. We’ll have to wait and see what results the legal actions taken against the matter yield.

Source: BusinessWeek

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me The 8th Immortal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 450 Posts

How about a list of apps that siphon information off of our phones without permission?

Thanks

Who is the Senator that has nothing better to do than troll teh blogz for stuff like this? This has literally nothing to do with the government or legislature. Whomever this person is must being looking to place the spotlight elsewhere than REAL issues within our government. I am usually not much for politics, but this is lame. Lets have the FBI, CIA and DNR (why not?) launch a joint task force investigation into, um, how about VLC? Yeah! VLC! That makes about as much sense as investigating a company who wants your address book from your PHONE! OR, get those tin foil hats ready, is it that the government wants to hire the devs that put the spyware (yes it is spyware) in the harmless app to bat for their team? Have the government release an app "Where's My Refund?" that really just uploads the users entire address book, camera roll, and browsing history, for some google-like purpose. Dun Dun Dun! lol. That's about how ridiculous this all sounds to me. I know, lets make an online petition to stop the government from wasting our money like this! That will surely prove effective lol. //Sarcastic-tangent

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The 8th Immortal View Post
    How about a list of apps that siphon information off of our phones without permission?
    That would be legit. But how big would the list be,

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

Smile You, sir, are a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Who is the Senator that has nothing better to do than troll teh blogz for stuff like this? This has literally nothing to do with the government or legislature. Whomever this person is must being looking to place the spotlight elsewhere than REAL issues within our government. I am usually not much for politics, but this is lame. Lets have the FBI, CIA and DNR (why not?) launch a joint task force investigation into, um, how about VLC? Yeah! VLC! That makes about as much sense as investigating a company who wants your address book from your PHONE! OR, get those tin foil hats ready, is it that the government wants to hire the devs that put the spyware (yes it is spyware) in the harmless app to bat for their team? Have the government release an app "Where's My Refund?" that really just uploads the users entire address book, camera roll, and browsing history, for some google-like purpose. Dun Dun Dun! lol. That's about how ridiculous this all sounds to me. I know, lets make an online petition to stop the government from wasting our money like this! That will surely prove effective lol. //Sarcastic-tangent
    Hey, why don't you research the accusations before you jump on the congressmen who pursue it? Congress writes laws that effect society. Privacy is a huge concern. Why don't you get off the backs of the congressmen trying to help you and start attacking those who are trying to take away rights from women— where gov't REALLY has no business in?

Go to sleep.