+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Imperium - A Multitasking Alternative for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Imperium - A Multitasking Alternative for iOS

iOS comes with a pretty straightforward and easy to use multitasking system – an App Switcher, which is invoked by pressing the home button twice or if you use Activator instead, a different method. The App Switcher in all of its easy to use glory, sacrifices functionality to stay simplistic. iOS developer Akhil Tolani has decided to make a new multitasking solution dubbed Imperium with even more options and functionality built into it than the multitasking App Switcher. As illustrated by the screenshots above, you can see just how much more useful this new tweak will be.

In a way, Imperium is similar to one of Akhil Tolani’s pervious tweaks, which was named SuperSwitcher in the attempt to make the multitasking App Switcher more functional. The big difference between Imperium and SuperSwitcher is SuperSwitcher required you to use the App Switcher to activate it, while Imperium can be activated from anywhere using an Acitvator action. Additionally, Imperium has a few bonus features.

Imperium includes not only a new multitasking interface, but it also includes toggles for Bluetooth, airplane mode, Wi-Fi, location services, and even a switch for a flashlight. Additionally below that are shortcuts for composing a Tweet, snapping a quick photograph, performing a quick Google search, composing an e-mail, showing song lyrics, and a button which brings up a prompt for respringing, rebooting, powering off, and finally entering safe mode. There are also two sliders – one for increasing or decreasing brightness and one for increasing or decreasing volume.

There is an additional window with a list of every application on your iDevice so you can quickly launch any application you want to. The list goes in alphabetical order, so if you know what you’re looking for you know where to scroll. In this very same window are four application shortcuts, which you pick from the Imperium preferences pane in the Settings application, which is shown in the screenshot below:

The preferences pane not only allows you to pick your four application shortcuts, but also your Activator action method. You can also adjust how dark the background is, the blur radius, and the animation speed for the background of Imperium. At the very bottom is a switch, which allows you to enable double-tap to close out of Imperium. Usually, you can just press the home button to exit Imperium, so whichever exit method is easier or more convenient for you can be used.

Taking Imperium for a spin for ourselves, we can’t find any reasons not to recommend it. It’s a convenient dash, however the only thing we could find a way to be picky about it is with the graphics. The close circles appearing on the applications in the backgrounded apps window are slightly choppy and the animations for some of the features are not very fluid. The appearance of the entire interface isn't exactly how we would envision Apple to have implemented something like this.

Functionally, everything in the dash works. The buttons are all fully functional and don’t appear to create any disturbances with other tweaks. If you want an easy way to reach system features all in one location, then Imperium is something to take a look at. If you’re content with using Apple’s multitasking App Switcher and you currently use a different toggle or shortcut system like Deck, then this tweak might not be for you.

Name: Imperium
    Price: 99¢
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5, iPhone or iPod touch
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Akhil Tolani
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Akhil Tolani

Thanks

There have been some cool tweaks lately, this, deck, ireminders, etc
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a way to have the System Settings page be the first page?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

Hilarious... I seen this at the top of my changes list and since I'm always intrigued by the names that are blue :P I picked it up. I mean 99 cents is f all and I was curious how I've never heard if it before I stumbled apon it yesterday and now I see a this review lol. Right away I compared it to Deck since I had just installed that as well and found it to be more functional, even though the options are mostly the same. I like the fact that it had an option to enter safe mode since Deck didn't (I don't think). I would reconcider reinstalling deck once (or if) they update to a version that works everywhere not just the SB. but this is a nice look with lots of options and for a buck it's worthy of being on my purchased list.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought this as soon as it came out however its a bit slow to open, ill stick with zephyr i think.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    There have been some cool tweaks lately, this, deck, ireminders, etc
    This is true, theres actually a lot more tweaks that hit cydia that arent actually worth awhile. We can thank Anthony for sifting out all the bad ones that are pretty much useless to most users and telling us all about ones that a lot of readers would actually enjoy.. Although some times I disagree with his ratings, but for the most part I've gotten some pretty good tweaks from cydia thanks to him. What I would like to see with the app switcher, is something like expose that was around when backrounder was popular back in the 3.x days. I havent been able to find anything that actually picks up all the apps I have running, and actually quit the apps when I swipe them out.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Finally a good tweak that is at a good price!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Looks like a nice tweak but honestly, DOCK from the iSpazio Repo is awesome and gives others the WOW factor when i display it . I'd like to see a review on that one please Mr.Bouchard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
    This is true, theres actually a lot more tweaks that hit cydia that arent actually worth awhile. We can thank Anthony for sifting out all the bad ones that are pretty much useless to most users and telling us all about ones that a lot of readers would actually enjoy.. Although some times I disagree with his ratings, but for the most part I've gotten some pretty good tweaks from cydia thanks to him. What I would like to see with the app switcher, is something like expose that was around when backrounder was popular back in the 3.x days. I havent been able to find anything that actually picks up all the apps I have running, and actually quit the apps when I swipe them out.
    Something like expose? Like multifl0w? It has an exposé mode.

I have bought all the app switcher apps now that iThink of it lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Multitasking.. Hah. Totally misconstrued. Having an application reload from the beginning when going back to it is not multitasking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
    multifl0w is a good app switcher alternative
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRauch View Post
    Multitasking.. Hah. Totally misconstrued. Having an application reload from the beginning when going back to it is not multitasking.
    That doesn't happen but with a few apps on iOS. All of Apple's applications are multitasking-enabled and you can blame the third party developers for not fully supporting it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nymets741 View Post
    Is there a way to have the System Settings page be the first page?
    Yes, i would like to know that too. can system toggles be put on the first page and can other pages be disabled?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    Yes, i would like to know that too. can system toggles be put on the first page and can other pages be disabled?
    As far as I have seen there r no options to do so... Yet. But most of my experience with these paid apps is that some updates tend to pack more feature or config options after the fact.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

I'm looking for an alternative to Multifl0w - since Multifl0w crashes when I try to switch between apps and it's just NOT being updated. Spent a lot of money for that broken app, too

Thanks

This tweak desperately needs a rotation lock, I had to put the old app switcher back just for that

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Too bad this app is not a true taskmanager/app switcher! I had available memory of only 90mb on my iphone 4 running this app and this app showed only bitesms and phone app in the background giving me the option to only close these 2 apps. How the hell does my phone only have 90mb available and supposedly only running phone and bitesms app in the background? I know, uninstall this app, soft reset, and find out! Now i see with the stock app switcher (home button pressed twice), theres about 4 more apps that have also been running this whole time in the background but this program for some reason doesn't show them so you can never close them with this app.

Make this thing accurate if ur gonna expect a good product and something worth reviewing about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DQEight View Post
    This tweak desperately needs a rotation lock, I had to put the old app switcher back just for that
    I use both switchers... You don't have to put an old one back If u use a diff activation method than double press. And I wish they left the quick e-mail in today's update, but guess people like you needed the rotation lock lol *sad face*. I already have it in stock app switcher and ISX.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liveitlive View Post
    I use both switchers... You don't have to put an old one back If u use a diff activation method than double press. And I wish they left the quick e-mail in today's update, but guess people like you needed the rotation lock lol *sad face*. I already have it in stock app switcher and ISX.
    It's not that I couldn't use both but when I got this I had intended for it to essentially remove the need for the other one