+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] CamFast - Quick Camera Shortcut

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Undoubtedly one of the most-used features of an iDevice is the camera. The camera is a fun object on any iDevice because of the plethora of applications in the App
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] CamFast - Quick Camera Shortcut

Undoubtedly one of the most-used features of an iDevice is the camera. The camera is a fun object on any iDevice because of the plethora of applications in the App Store supporting it. They don’t only support the rear-facing camera, but also the front-facing camera as well. The only problem? – Getting to the camera as quick as possible before your photograph opportunity is gone.

Apple tried to make accessing the Camera application much faster in iOS 5 by putting a Camera application shortcut on the lock screen of the iPod touch and iPhone. Unfortunately, we aren’t always on the lock screen when we need to take a photograph and when we are in applications, this causes us to close out of what we are doing and then fumble around our home screens for the Camera application.

A new jailbreak add-on for Activator dubbed CamFast by iOS developer Ron Melkhior will let you assign an Activator action to opening the camera. It doesn’t launch the full-blown Camera application, but rather a quick camera interface for snapping a quick photograph with either the front-facing or rear-facing camera. In doing so, the interface appears above any applications you are in without forcing you to close out of what you are doing to take a photograph at that perfect moment.

Hands on with the add-on, speed is excellent because it is a simple camera interface that swipes up into view from the bottom of the screen, accessibility is excellent because you can pick any Activator action you want to use, and the ease factor is there because you invoke your action, point, and shoot to get your photograph. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come without its bugs. If you invoke the Activator action to open the camera interface, then invoke the action again, a second camera interface launches over the existing one, which causes a SpringBoard crash. A safety feature should be added to keep this from happening.

Be wary that Activator actions are limited, so use them wisely. The add-on is free, so try it out and be sure to let us know if it makes your photography any easier!

Name: CamFast
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ron Melkhior
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Ron Melkhior
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-13-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess you didn't get the new update for the iPhone??? Quickest way to get to camera by any means

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Snappy 5 does this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneadam View Post
    I guess you didn't get the new update for the iPhone??? Quickest way to get to camera by any means
    Yup i agree, iOS5+ Very easy&Fast Camera access... If you need faster access than that then you shouldnt be using an iPhone to take that picture.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sasukekun77 View Post
    Yup i agree, iOS5+ Very easy&Fast Camera access... If you need faster access than that then you shouldnt be using an iPhone to take that picture.
    Yeah... on the lock screen. Nowhere else, as I addressed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneadam View Post
    Not if you're not at the lock screen...
    And who wants to lose their jailbreak on A5 devices or tether on A4 to have the "update"

I just assigned the camera to a double status bar tap. Works from anywhere and quick.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

We can already assign activator actions to open the regular camera app from anywhere. Would you say the speed at which it opens up is fast enough to make this a better bet?

Thanks

What about quick video access??
    Snappy 5 does both for me from anywhere with an activator action of my choice without closing my current app. Min is set to Cam = double tap status bar, and Video = hold status bar. So for apps without a status bar I use volume up/down and down/up respectively.

Thanks

I really like it..very useful thank you! I assigned a double tap to the top bar and a slide gesture from the bottom. My son is always doing crazy things..gotta capture those moments. You never know when and where. Thanks again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For me AppSlider (free cydia) + Fast Camera (free for very limited time in appstore) = winning formula

iPhone? More like MyPhone SevenThirteen's Avatar
    Thanks

For the longest time I was wondering why camera would take FOREVER to open... this tweak has made it lightning quick! Thank You!!

Now can anyone tell me why my weather keeps resetting to Cupertino and New York!?!?