+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] SpotPod - Bring iPod Controls to SpotLight

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When you’re tired of using the Music application’s play, pause, next, and previous buttons, there is always another way to control your music (when jailbroken, of course). Attempts vary from
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] SpotPod - Bring iPod Controls to SpotLight

When you’re tired of using the Music application’s play, pause, next, and previous buttons, there is always another way to control your music (when jailbroken, of course). Attempts vary from touch gestures, to voice control, to Activator actions. If you like exploring ways to control your music, then try a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed SpotPod by iOS developer Fllotouch. It will give you the ability to control your Music application through SpotLight, an underused and under appreciated part of iOS.

To use SpotPod, you simply swipe over to SpotLight from your home screen and enter control words into the search bar. “Play” will play music, “Pause” will pause music, “Next” will make the Music application skip to the next song, and “Previous” will make the Music application play the song before what you’re listening to already. Once you type the word corresponding to the action you want, tap the search button and SpotPod works its magic.

The idea is simple and while we always encourage innovation, it is a bit cumbersome having to type out a word to pause, play, and skip between songs. Using the iPod controls is much faster, offering a tap interface for controlling the music. Another unfortunate downfall for SpotPod would be that it works only with the stock Apple Music application. It won’t control music from Spotify, Pandora, or Grooveshark – all of which are popular alternatives for music on iOS.

All of the features seem to work perfectly without any major flaws. SpotPod works on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad and has no options to configure in the Settings application. After you install it from Cydia, you are ready to start using it and if you want to end the functionality, you will have to uninstall it as there are no settings to disable it.

Name: SpotPod
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer:Fllotouch
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks

Neat concept.

Thanks

It needs new UI, but other than that perfect.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's not a neat concept. Using this tweak, you have to press 5 buttons (plus a swipe or home button press) to simply pause a song. That's stupid. I'm surprised it got a 3.5/5.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Type "Pause" to pause. Wow that's handy.

Got any other tweaks that are counterintuitive to the rest of iOS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
    It's not a neat concept. Using this tweak, you have to press 5 buttons (plus a swipe or home button press) to simply pause a song. That's stupid. I'm surprised it got a 3.5/5.
    I didn't say the idea was great, I said the concept was. There's a big difference. I think the concept of typing in commands to the spotlight search is a good idea. I think that it'd be better for more advanced and powerful things that are normally difficult to accomplish, however. The music thing is a cool trick, but I think this could do much more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
    Agree. Its a bit useless.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide