+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Share Your 3G Data With New HTML5 Tethering App By Tether

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Do you remember Tether? Back in November of 2011, they brought us a $14.99 App Store application , which allowed us to share our iPhone’s 3G data connection with another
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default Share Your 3G Data With New HTML5 Tethering App By Tether

Do you remember Tether? Back in November of 2011, they brought us a $14.99 App Store application, which allowed us to share our iPhone’s 3G data connection with another device. Many applications have snuck past Apple’s watchful eye into the App Store supporting tethering features, however with a name like 'iTether' it’s almost humiliating for them not to have caught it when it was submitted. What's even funnier is the description for the application in the App Store blatantly said it was a tethering application in black and white. It was later removed.

If you want tethering, but you hate waiting for the occasional App Store troll that slips by Apple's guards with tethering capabilities, then you can hop onto a new solution by the company Tether. It’s an HTML5 application, which you can access from any iPhone or iPad with cellular capabilities whether it is jailbroken or not in the Safari application and share your data connection to any other Wi-Fi device. This means no App Store apps and no jailbreak apps necessary – just a Web page.

It doesn’t come free, but it does come cheap. For the next week, Tether will be offering their service for a mere $15 for the entire year. After the week is over, it will cost $30 per year. If you act quickly, you can lock in the cheaper price – it sure is cheaper than what your carrier wants you to pay them, huh?

Tether uses an Ad-Hoc network for providing its tethering services to your computer. There is software you will need to install on your Mac or PC to use it. After you do that, there are some instructions to follow, which are listed below:
    • Download Tether onto your Mac OS X computer by clicking the following link: http://downloads.tether.com/TetherWeb.dmg OR download Tether onto your Windows computer by clicking the following link: http://downloads.tether.com/TetherWeb.exe
    • Once the download is complete, go through the install process.
    • Run Tether on your computer. Enter a name for the SSID of the ad-hoc network that will be created. You may enter a password for the network or leave it blank for an open network.
    • On your iOS mobile device click the Settings icon and then click Wi-Fi. Select the tether.com:SSIDNAME network and enter the WEP key if you created the network with one.
    • Open the safari browser on your iOS mobile device and visit http://tether.com/web. If you have an account, login and follow the on screen instructions. The webpage should then establish a connection between the iOS mobile device and your Mac.
    • Once the Server Status and the Computer Status show that they are connected your Mac/PC should now be online!

Just remember: unauthorized tethering is still against your carrier's terms of service. Do this at your own risk.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-09-2012 at 10:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Why go through all this when there free tethering? google R yahoo R bing and you will fine...

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I missed the download by 5 minutes, I was so pissed !!!! I might give this a chance! But there needs to be an iPhone to iPad way to do this!!!!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "If you want free tethering, but you hate waiting for the occasional App Store troll that slips by Apple's guards with tethering capabilities, then you can hop onto a new solution by the company Tether."

"It doesn’t come free, but it does come cheap. For the next week, Tether will be offering their service for a mere $15 for the entire year."

Contradictory, I think. Just to be clear, the ability to tether DOES cost. Honestly, if I were not jailbroken. This looks like a pretty awesome product.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Hainey View Post
    "If you want free tethering, but you hate waiting for the occasional App Store troll that slips by Apple's guards with tethering capabilities, then you can hop onto a new solution by the company Tether."

"It doesn’t come free, but it does come cheap. For the next week, Tether will be offering their service for a mere $15 for the entire year."

Contradictory, I think. Just to be clear, the ability to tether DOES cost. Honestly, if I were not jailbroken. This looks like a pretty awesome product.
    Gah. Sorry, thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't determine if this would be just shown as higher data activity on the phone, or if AT&T would be able to detect the tethering by the kind of data packets that are sent.

I'm guessing it would be the first...?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i thought there is "personal hotspot" option in settings? why do we need this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    I can't determine if this would be just shown as higher data activity on the phone, or if AT&T would be able to detect the tethering by the kind of data packets that are sent.

I'm guessing it would be the first...?
    I'd really like to know also.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Green Apple
    Thanks
    personal hotspot is detectible by carrier, not sure if tether can hide it from the carrier. also without unlimited plan will this drain the bandwidth fast or leave it unchanged?

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

not worth the money, don't care

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherq View Post
    That cost money through your service provider. Unless of course your jail broken, then you can just unlock the feature.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

good thing every carrier in Australia unlocks the native tethering feature for free, and let's you use all of your data on your plan..not a set aside amount

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

How can I go about unlocking my hotspot feature? Would this unlocking or using this HTML5 be a better solution than MyWi?

Thanks

Can't decide whether joke or real... :3 haha I jailbreak for a reason, there are many other FREE alternatives that I can actually use my other iOS devices on my tethering iPhone and not JUST my laptop...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I turn on PDANet to use as a hotspot on the iPhone, then I connect the VPN on the iPhone, in that order. If I do PDANet after VPN, for some reason the VPN randomly drops leaving my tether exposed and visible.

If I tether through the VPN I don't think there's any way for them to know. A VPN is a necessity, anyway. If a hotspot is already available I can use the VPN on the laptop, otherwise I can use it on the iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The biggest concern with using an alternate tethering method is getting caught and charged. If that won't happen then this is a good bet. But the main thing I want to do is use my iPhone data on a Wifi only iPad. I don't think that's possible with this method.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's important to note you must browse to Tether.com to start your hotspot. Wouldn't it be trivial for the carriers to just block access to that url to stop us? And wouldn't it be trivial for the carriers to check who actually went there?

Looks like the best secure connection it can produce is WEP?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatherq View Post
    It's my understanding that this is not available to every one and some people need to pay extra for it.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolduckey View Post
    Can't decide whether joke or real... :3 haha I jailbreak for a reason, there are many other FREE alternatives that I can actually use my other iOS devices on my tethering iPhone and not JUST my laptop...
    The vast majority of people out there do not have a jailbroken phone. There are also those that would like one, but bought their phone after it was shipped with 5.1, thus having to wait for a jailbreak. For these people, this is a wonderful option. The phone can remain dead stock and still allow for tethering all for a one time fee that is cheaper than a single month of tethering would cost.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Um, am I the only one to see the fatal flaw with this idea? Let's start from the top:

1. Your carrier knows exactly where you go on the web because all your http requests go through their servers. It would be a simple matter for them to monitor traffic to this site.

2. If you start parking your iDevice at tether.com and begin sucking down a lot of data, you can rest assured your account is going to get flagged for possible unauthorized tethering.

3. Once you're on your carrier's radar screen for tethering, it's a relatively simple matter for them to confirm you're doing it based on the user agent strings your computer is sending.

Try this, and you can expect to get AT&T's infamous warning text in short order.
    Last edited by iElvis; 03-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.