Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Share Your 3G Data With New HTML5 Tethering App By Tether

Tethering is free but I still say get MyWi for the extra tethering features the phone doesn't come with. It is worth it.
    There are free MyWi Downloads but I say its best to get the real thing. 1 cause its reliable and 2 you also help them with their little community

Info has been given wether it's education or brain washing.

As a web developer I am very interested about the HTML 5 Technologies that allow this to work.

Anyone got any ideas how this work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'd like to know how it works, too! How does HTML5 become a hotspot? Doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by iElvis View Post
    Um, am I the only one to see the fatal flaw with this idea? Let's start from the top:

1. Your carrier knows exactly where you go on the web because all your http requests go through their servers. It would be a simple matter for them to monitor traffic to this site.

2. If you start parking your iDevice at tether.com and begin sucking down a lot of data, you can rest assured your account is going to get flagged for possible unauthorized tethering.

3. Once you're on your carrier's radar screen for tethering, it's a relatively simple matter for them to confirm you're doing it based on the user agent strings your computer is sending.

Try this, and you can expect to get AT&T's infamous warning text in short order.
    Elvis, while it is true that the carrier "COULD KNOW" where you go because http requests go through their servers, carriers can not monitor those requests as that is an invasion of privacy so no, they can not determine if you are going to their website or if you're watching Hulu on your iphone. #2 is the same thing, carriers do not know where you park, and I'm still not sure I know that the difference is between watching Hulu on your iphone vs on your laptop. I'm one who believes if you have unlimited data on your data plan, it shouldn't matter what you're using it for. Now if you hook up 4 or 5 devices that might be different, but I don't think carriers will be able to "legally" stop this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Elvis, while it is true that the carrier "COULD KNOW" where you go because http requests go through their servers, carriers can not monitor those requests as that is an invasion of privacy so no, they can not determine if you are going to their website or if you're watching Hulu on your iphone. #2 is the same thing, carriers do not know where you park, and I'm still not sure I know that the difference is between watching Hulu on your iphone vs on your laptop. I'm one who believes if you have unlimited data on your data plan, it shouldn't matter what you're using it for. Now if you hook up 4 or 5 devices that might be different, but I don't think carriers will be able to "legally" stop this.
    Actually At&T reserved them selves the right to be able to shut down your service if you visit what they consider inappropriate websites or websites that go against their policy. Although it is against the law to monitor your web activity it is not against the law to set up automatic flagging systems. For and example, they can filter and flag any user trying to reach "tether.com". Perfectly legal, a lot of today companies filter their network in same fashion. In their view they can state that the website allows tethering ability which goes against their policy. After that point who knows how them "evil" ba**** will get you.

I think that the OP should make aware that this method could get your unlimited plan changed!

On the same token, unlimited plans are now throttled after 3GB (I am one of those unhappy campers with that as well >) so even if you don't get caught after 3GB it will be like going on 56k modem. Not my cop of tea :/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12