+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple No Longer Signing iOS 5.0.1

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I *swear* that I was able to backup 5.0.1 SHSH blobs from Apple today on an iPod Touch 4G. It must have been momentary because they stopped responding after that.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I *swear* that I was able to backup 5.0.1 SHSH blobs from Apple today on an iPod Touch 4G. It must have been momentary because they stopped responding after that.

A coworker brought me this broken iPod this morning after forgetting to bring it to me for several days. It was an iOS 4.2.1 iPod Touch 4G that was stuck on the GreenPois0n skull at boot and has not been turned on since last year and did not have any SHSH blobs on file for any iOS version. I downloaded iOS 4.2.1 from ios.e-lite.org and attempted to resture using iTunes but it was unsuccessful (I used restore mode and forgot to try DFU). I put it in restore mode and used iFaith to save the 4.2.1 SHSH blobs for the currently installed but unbootable iOS 4.2.1 and then I made a signed 4.2.1 IPSW using the SHSH files with iFaith on the original 4.2.1 IPSW from ios.e-lite.org. I put it in DFU and SHIFT+Restored to put 4.2.1 on there successfully. I then used Tiny Umbrella to check to see if Apple were still signing iOS 5.0.1 and they were not. I checked Cydia and came up empty. I checked again after unchecking Cydia and, low and behold, I got iOS 5.0.1 blobs! I tried again later and got nothing. Apple is no longer signing them, but that was the case before I got 5.0.1 blobs too!

I don't know if it's worth repeatedly checking to get through but, somehow, I got through. There are no other SHSH blobs on file with Cydia, not even the 4.2.1 blobs I obtained using iFaith. I got kicked when I mentioned in in #iPhone on EFNET but it is entirely true. All I said is that they are either still signing them for specifically the iPod Touch 4G or they momentarily were, so it was clear that I was not trolling.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the reason why I did not buy an iPhone 4s yet. There are no bootrom exploits for the jailbreak. We were warned about this. This will continue until there is a way to keep a good exploit in iOS 5. We had a great run when the iPhone 4 came out. Immediately there were jailbreak after jailbreak. Once Apple updated, the JB's were on the case with an update. Now with iOS5 and the A5 chip, the work is much harder. Case in point, the time it took for the 5.0.1 JB. It took a "Dream Team" of JB's to solve the problem. And I for one thank them!!! Now we are back to a tethered JB. I'll stay on 5.0.1 with the untethered on my trusty iPhone 4. It will be close to two years old, but this phone hasn't failed me yet. I like the Siri feature on the 4s, but I can live without it for a while. Lets see what the new iPhone comes up with.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yeow View Post
    Is it the other way round, then you are out of luck
    lol I know I was just kidding!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have iphone 4 ios 4.3.3 i want update my iphone to ios 5.0.1 without updating baseband can i do it,
    Apple No Longer Signing iOS 5.0.1
    Please help me

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I don't really understand why anyone would update to 5.1 It's a pretty useless update if you looked at the update info. It's Apple's way of saying "We're gonna trick you and you are going to fall for it." It's just a trick so you can't downgrade and an exploit has yet to be found.

@mithilaplus You can't unless it's a custom firmware since Apple is no longer signing iOS 5.0.1
    Last edited by H4CK3R; 03-20-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Answering @milthilaplus's question and Fixed Spelling Error
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,185 Times in 6,971 Posts

Ya, not much at all in the update. Only benefit I could see is improved battery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ya, not much at all in the update. Only benefit I could see is improved battery.
    I heard that was the only legit thing that came in that update... Everything else was security patches.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I am on a 4S currently on 5.0.1, I've erased the settings (via settings reset on the iFone) a couple of times as am having some issues with a large "other" capacity. My question is if I D'load the 5.0.1 .ispw and put it in the iphone software update Folder can I restore from that or will bad things happen??

(something very odd just happened I was able to select it via itunes and holding down the option key, but now the ispw file seems to have disappeared from the folder!)

Thanks

No you can't restore to 5.0.1 right now if you have a 4S. No matter what you try.

Also if you put a firmware file that is not the most recent into the folder where iTunes downloads firmware files iTunes will delete it automatically. That's why it disappeared on you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

bladerunner88 (04-04-2012)

Thanks

^^ That

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow Simon thanks for the info, so the only thing i can try is doing the reset again and starting out as a new iPhone? The issue I am having is somehow it seems a particular App is causing my "other" capacity to jump from say 0.44Gb to something like 1.30GB which seems a little ridiculous. last time i was syncing one Apps back one at a time and monitoring the other capacity but then somehow itunes decided to sync 3 or 4 Apps automatically and i lost track as to what caused other to shoot to 1.31Gb.

Cheers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any news regarding untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1?

I have a ******* Gevey SIM that does not work in tethered jailbreak.

WARNING: do not upgrade to iOS 5.1 if you use Gevey! Unless you want not to jailbreak your iPhone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner88 View Post
    Wow Simon thanks for the info, so the only thing i can try is doing the reset again and starting out as a new iPhone? The issue I am having is somehow it seems a particular App is causing my "other" capacity to jump from say 0.44Gb to something like 1.30GB which seems a little ridiculous. last time i was syncing one Apps back one at a time and monitoring the other capacity but then somehow itunes decided to sync 3 or 4 Apps automatically and i lost track as to what caused other to shoot to 1.31Gb.

Cheers.
    I wouldn't even do that if I were you. That erase option in settings is known to cause boot loop. Especially if jailbroken. If that happens you will be forced to 5.1.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iH8Snow recently twitted that he found a apticket loophole that will allow all a5 devices to revert back to 5.0.1. You will see the tweet under pod2g's twitter.
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 04-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Currently a virgin iPhone on Verizon, made the switch from T-Mo and an unlocked 1st Gen! After a friend dropped it and the touch screen froze. It still knows its an iPhone and mounts in iTunes and will play music when hooked to car stereo but slide to unlock will not work no more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    iH8Snow recently twitted that he found a apticket loophole that will allow all a5 devices to revert back to 5.0.1.
    Yes, but you still need your 5.0.1 shsh and who knows when he will have something ready and release it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Yes, but you still need your 5.0.1 shsh and who knows when he will have something ready and release it.
    Yes, but the all of the current method to downgrade requires the shsh files. I'm just concerned about him releasing a working application for it. Correctly me if I'm wrong.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    iH8Snow recently twitted that he found a apticket loophole that will allow all a5 devices to revert back to 5.0.1. You will see the tweet under pod2g's twitter.
    dont expect it any time soon, he says more likely when either the new iphone is released or a new firmware, because if he releases it now, apple will patch it up pretty quickly

also the jailbreak code contains some of Apple's copyrighted code, so there are legalities to consider

Thanks

^exactly. May be awhile. So I don't even mention it to people right now. Save whatever shsh you can and hope he can get something working and released to the public at some point in the future. Til then restoring to anything but current firmware is not a reality for A5 devices.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123