+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS

Numberbook is a new free application, which has just made it to the Cydia store. It will allow you to look up peopleís phone numbers by name or to look up peopleís names by phone number. This functionality is a very popular demand for almost all phone users and will prove helpful if you need a number. Numberbook supports several worldwide countries (so many that we can't list them all), and requires an internet (data or Wi-Fi) connection to use.

After opening the application you find the functions to search by name or search by number. This makes Numberbook a phone book and a reverse phone book, which is a very powerful tool that even some advanced phone book companies do not offer. Yellowbook offers both of these services for free as well. From this screen there is also the settings pane:

From here you can choose what your default country lookup will be. By default when you install the application the country spin box will be empty and you will have to manually insert the country for the phone number or person you are looking up. This is a pretty bothersome process; since the application covers worldwide countries it takes a while to scroll down to United States. Being able to choose your default country will help you save time by auto-filling a country of your choice every time you open the application.

Now that the country has been chosen, you can enter a name and search the name for phone numbers. Certain names will not have any numbers on their database and some names will have more than one number. For the ones that have more than one number, you have to do some detective work to find out where the area codes are to find the right person you are looking for. Unfortunately, Numberbook has a very limited interface and simply shows you all of the phone numbers it can find related to the name you search and doesnít separate them via location to anything like that. To protect people's privacy, we entered a fake name so it would yield no results in the screenshot above.

As we told you earlier, you can also do a reverse search for when you have a phone number but donít know the name of the person. This is particularly helpful when you get a phone call from someone and the caller ID shows a number but not a name and you wonder who has just called you. The reverse search works excellently for me on all of my attempts to use it.

The interface of Numberbooks is pretty awesome looking and the functionality is something that would be useful for all iPhones. Unfortunately, the application icon put on the home screen does not support the retina display. There are some neat animations when searching a name to find a number and vice-versa. The popup message kind of swings into view from nowhere and just looks fun. Design-wise, the application is created in such a way that you donít need to be a technology genius to understand how to use it. Since itís free and so useful, I have to recommend this application for all iPhone who have a jailbroken device.

Name: Numberbook
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Numberbook
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Sources: Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just gave it a test run and found it absolutely useless. Couldn't even find myself and even sometimes received an error stating no internet connection.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Loading for over 5 min upon app open everything while on 3G not worth it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Utterly useless in Denmark. Only finds people already listed in my own contacts.

So, as pointless as a chocolate tea pot (at least for Denmark).

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

just keep getting "registration failed" network error messsage

Green Apple
    Thanks

Download it, tried it, and immediately unloaded it. What a total load of rubish and a waste of time.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm utterly surprised by the amount of failure with this application. It hasn't failed for me once.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I do realize this is not the place to ask but I am lost. I am having trouble with my iphone 3gs, cannot find an existing thread to help deal with my problem and cannot for the life of me figure out how to start a new post/thread/whatever. Can someone please give me some guidance?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I found 3 numbers for Tiger Woods...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you're lost try the maps app ;p

But seriously if you go to the forums along the bottom of the app and select the one that's most appropriate and start a thread there (should be a button for new thread) what's your problem? I'll direct you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    If you're lost try the maps app ;p

But seriously if you go to the forums along the bottom of the app and select the one that's most appropriate and start a thread there (should be a button for new thread) what's your problem? I'll direct you
    docmagoo2......thank you for your offer to help.

iPhone 3gs
    Model MB717LL
    Model Firmware: 05.16.02
    Version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
    Carrier: AT&T
    Jailbroken: Yes
    Unlocked: No
    SIM Card: None installed

Please forgive me if I don't know all the correct terminology.

When I turned this phone off on Christmas 2011 it worked perfectly and it has not been turned on again until today. It had been jailbroken several months before shutting it off. When I turned it on, it still had 79% battery charge. Since turning it on, it will go to the start up screen (where you slide the slider to get in to the phone). While there, the little spinning cirlce continues to spin with slight breaks inbetween. It is only during these slight breaks that the slider can be slid and I am able to get in to the "desktop" of the phone. However, even there after a few seconds the spinning wheel of death continues, I am unable to go to any of the apps and eventually the phone will go back to the start up screen.

In redsn0w I have tried "Recovery Fix" with no success. It seems to help but after a few minutes the spinning wheel comes back.

Using TinyUmbrella several months ago I saved the SHSH Blobs if that helps. TinyUmbrella shows I have the following saved for this phone:
    4.1 - 8B117
    5.0.1 - 9A405
    5.1b1 - 9B5117b

I am familiar with all the programs such as redsn0w, ifaith, tinyumbrella and have done some things with them but please don't think that because I can name the programs I have any clue as to how to use them.

Side question: if I back up an iPhone with iTunes and then restore with iTunes, will it restore to the same version and firmware or will iTunes upgrade it to whatever the current versions are?

My goal is to of course actually get the phone to work but also need it to stay jailbroken with Version 4.3.3.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

+1

just keep getting "registration failed" network error messsage

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All i get is a message saying "Registration Failed, Due to network error you werent able to register, please try again" And thats on 3G. Havent tried Wi-Fi yet but judging by other comments this app probably will be useless anyways.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

If its such a free app then why does it want to register and why should it matter if you are on 3G or wifi. But not it doesn't work on Wifi either.

Thanks

Default hi
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmbenson View Post
    All i get is a message saying "Registration Failed, Due to network error you werent able to register, please try again" And thats on 3G. Havent tried Wi-Fi yet but judging by other comments this app probably will be useless anyways.
    try reset your network in network settings. it may be help.at least it s worth a try

(anyways:you was hibernating till now?lol) all this time with out a phone?
    Last edited by alex-xx; 03-09-2012 at 06:27 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

An update has been posted in Cydia which resolves the "Registration Failed" issue. Still an useless application unless I am doing something wrong.

It tells you it found a number but does not tell you the phone number when you input a person name.
    Last edited by prflyer; 03-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

beware

this app uploads all you contact info from your address book to there servers, thanks for that

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Find out who's calling you BEFORE you answer the phone...
    There is an App called RingRing that finds out who's calling you BEFORE you answer the phone...

Hey guys, just wanted to inform you about our brand new Utility App for iPhone called RingRing.

It's the first iPhone App ever that finds out who's calling you before you answer the phone (even if the screen is locked via VoiceOver).
    Every time you get a phone call and you don't know whose number it is, RingRing will automatically look it up for you in the web. Then it will send you a notification (or tell you via VoiceOver/Siri) and thus help you to decide if you should answer the phone call or not.

In Action: RingRing - Who's calling me from this number? | Weblooks GmbH

RingRing will remember your current GPS location by request and assign it to your conversation so that you can actually prove, that you have been at a certain place during a particular phone call.

Give it a try:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ring...692710148?mt=8

And here's the promo video: RingRing - Who's calling me from this number? on Vimeo

I'm the developer, so you can reach me anytime... thank you!

Cheers

Gabe

[Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS-screen_1.png[Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS-screen_2.png[Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS-screen_3.png[Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS-screen_4.png[Review] Numberbook - Easy Phonebook-Like App for iOS-screen_5.png