+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T iPhone 4S Gets the 4G Indicator With iOS 5.1 Update

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
only the 3gs has different radio components right? so both iphone4s and iphone4 should get the same signals and speeds? but only the 4S will get the 4G logo with
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

only the 3gs has different radio components right? so both iphone4s and iphone4 should get the same signals and speeds? but only the 4S will get the 4G logo with ios5.1

Cellular and Wireless Specs Compared:

iphone4s
    Cellular and Wireless
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA
    GSM/EDGE
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth 4.0

iphone4
    GSM model: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA
    GSM/EDGE
    CDMA model: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

iphone3gs
    UMTS/HSDPA
    GSM/EDGE
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

From what I remember the 4S and 4 do not have the same speed. The 4 tops out at 7mb I believe and the 4S at either 14 or 21. Can't remember off the top of my head which one it is. But the 4S is faster.

Yup, just checked. The iPhone 4 has 7.2mb HSDPA. The 4S has 14.4mb HSDPA.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    From what I remember the 4S and 4 do not have the same speed. The 4 tops out at 7mb I believe and the 4S at either 14 or 21. Can't remember off the top of my head which one it is. But the 4S is faster.

Yup, just checked. The iPhone 4 has 7.2mb HSDPA. The 4S has 14.4mb HSDPA.
    I believe thats for 3G/4G speeds only
    AT&T delivers at a max of like 14mbps over 4G while everyone else can only do 7mbps right now

on wifi I just got a return of 38mbps download and 7mbps upload on an iphone4S

My Internet actual speed is 50mbps down and about 5mbps up

Thus technically the phone can go faster but the drawback is your provider
    When I had an iPhone 4 I did the same test hitting about 20mbps download and 5mbps upload
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 03-11-2012 at 09:46 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 808 Posts

Guess they only changed the symbol for ATT. I am on a HSPA+ network and it still says 3G.
    Yes. AT&T only.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I believe thats for 3G/4G speeds only
    AT&T delivers at a max of like 14mbps over 3G while everyone else can only do 7mbps right now

on wifi I just got a return of 38mbps download and 7mbps upload on an iphone4S

My Internet actual speed is 50mbps down and about 5mbps up

Thus technically the phone can go faster but the drawback is your provider
    When I had an iPhone 4 I did the same test hitting about 20mbps download and 5mbps upload
    That is incorrect. AT&T can deliver 7.2Mb/s on 3G. HSPA+ is 4G and yields 14.2Mb/s.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

I get this on my 4S. Have actually topped out at 10mb before. My iPhone 4 would always be in the 5-6mb range on the same network.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T iPhone 4S Gets the 4G Indicator With iOS 5.1 Update-imageuploadedbymodmyi1331521385.450690.jpg  

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The AT&T iPhone 4S is capable of 14.4Mb/s download speed while Sprint and Verizon will only get a maximum of 7.2Mb/s.
    7.2 Mbps on EV-DO Rev. A?! Lol in what world?

Likewise, the iPhone 4S is a 14.4 Mbps HSDPA device, not HSPA+.

Some fact checking is in order.

Yes. AT&T only.

That is incorrect. AT&T can deliver 7.2Mb/s on 3G. HSPA+ is 4G and yields 14.2Mb/s.
    14.4 Mbps HSDPA is still considered 3G as it is no where near the theoretical maximum speeds of HSPA+, LTE, and/or WiMAX.

And no, not AT&T only. Well maybe the software update. However, all iPhone 4Ss are capable of 14.4 Mbps (or Mb/s) over HSDPA.

AT&T can deliver a theoretical maximum of 21 Mbps HSPA+ on their network (where they've deployed it). There's no magic switch to toggle between HSPA+ and HSPA. The only thing that would limit connectivity to HSPA+ is the device. An iPhone 4S connected to a 42 Mbps HSPA+ network is still an HSDPA device. Yes, it will be closer to reaching its theoretical maximum, but it does not automagically make it a 4G device. There is no [efficient] way to determine if a device is connected to an HSPA+ cell or an HSPA (D and U) cell. So AT&T and Apple opted to slap a "4G" icon on the 4S once it's connected to 3G (HSPA). I do wonder if the "3G" icon would show up if the phone connected to a W-CDMA-only cell though.

Shame on Apple and AT&T.

The AT&T iPhone 4S is capable of 14.4Mb/s download speed while Sprint and Verizon will only get a maximum of 7.2Mb/s.

Yes. AT&T only.

14.4 Mbps HSDPA is still considered 3G as it is no where near the theoretical maximum speeds of HSPA+, LTE, and/or WiMAX.

And no, not AT&T only. Well maybe the software update. However, all iPhone 4Ss are capable of 14.4 Mbps (or Mb/s) over HSDPA.

AT&T can deliver a theoretical maximum of 21 Mbps HSPA+ on their network (where they've deployed it). There's no magic switch to toggle between HSPA+ and HSPA. The only thing that would limit connectivity to HSPA+ is the device. An iPhone 4S connected to a 42 Mbps HSPA+ network is still an HSDPA device. Yes, it will be closer to reaching its theoretical maximum, but it does not automagically make it a 4G device. There is no [efficient] way to determine if a device is connected to an HSPA+ cell or an HSPA (D and U) cell. So AT&T and Apple opted to slap a "4G" icon on the 4S once it's connected to 3G (HSPA). I do wonder if the "3G" icon would show up if the phone connected to a W-CDMA-only cell though.

Shame on Apple and AT&T.

Yes. AT&T only.

Shame on Apple and AT&T.

I get this on my 4S. Have actually topped out at 10mb before. My iPhone 4 would always be in the 5-6mb range on the same network.
    And you have a real network similar to T-Mobile USA. Oh AT&T...

iPhone 4S on T-Mobile USA where they've refarmed 1900 MHz:

Last edited by Lecram25; 03-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually, this is not true. An iPhone 4s on AT&Ts' network will always have the "4G" indicator even if your iPhone is connected using a "3G" protocol! The ONLY thing that the "4G" indicator means is that you are NOT on the EDGE network.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123