Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T iPhone 4S Gets the 4G Indicator With iOS 5.1 Update

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poa317 View Post
    I just updated my wife's phone and it still says 3G? She has the iPhone 4 with AT&T..
    It's for the 4S not the 4
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So going by this we should be getting a 5gb limit for the "unlimited" plan... Oh how AT&T loves to screw with their customers..

Quote Originally Posted by poa317 View Post
    I just updated my wife's phone and it still says 3G? She has the iPhone 4 with AT&T..
    Only the iPhone 4S has the "4G" so your wife's iPhone 4 won't ever show 4G

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You won't obtain any speeds. It's just an indicator. And yes the jailbreak will be gone.
    I'm sure someone will release a tweak that will show the 4G indicator. But definitely DO NOT upgrade as you'll lose your jailbreaK, and who knows how long it will be till we get a new one.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

So with AT&Ts new throttling plan then that would mean us 4s people don't get throttled until 5GB suck it AT&T

Yay, now that means that AT&T is throttling my 3G phone that is capable of "4G" speeds. Yay for not proving a damn thing! Yay!

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The term '4G' has just about as much measurable meaning as the word 'fast'.

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    So with AT&Ts new throttling plan then that would mean us 4s people don't get throttled until 5GB suck it AT&T
    That's actually an interesting point.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"According to AT&T's info page, throttling occurs after 3GB of data for users who have 3G and 4G HSPA+ networks, and after 5GB of data for users who have 4G LTE phones."

So you still won't get 5GB on the 4S. =/

Is there gonna be a JB for the 5.1 update?

Hope theres an untethered soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I'm sure someone will release a tweak that will show the 4G indicator. But definitely DO NOT upgrade as you'll lose your jailbreaK, and who knows how long it will be till we get a new one.
    There's a couple things on cydia that have been there for a while now that change the "3G" indicator to "4G" using winterboard.
    Last edited by SPLucas26; 03-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^ you can even change it manually I think without winterboard

Quote Originally Posted by justibackwardsn View Post
    Can anyone confirm this for the iPhone 4s? Maybe they made the necessary alterations for devices to be able to distinguish the two. I want an indicator when I'm using the faster technology but it does nothing if it can't distinguish. I don't care what it's called(4G or 3G+... I just want an indicator.)
    They made no such changes. In fact the reports are that whenever you had a 3G indicator previous to 5.1, you will now have a 4G. Exactly the same as their Hotspot. The real telling factor is that they removed the "3G Data" toggle in settings if you have a 4s on AT&T.
    Evolution of an iPhone User:
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

I mean does it really matter? the 4s is not a 4g LTE phone. Maybe the 5 will be. Time will only tell.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in what At&t Coverage calls 4G Network.

My Best Speed has been 5.62 Mbps (Down) 3.37 Mbps (Up) on a iPhone 4s.
    My Worst Speed has been 2.34 Mbps (Down) .75 Mbps (Up) on a iPhone 4s.

Their decent speeds, but not LTE speeds.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

How long before there is a hack in Cydia to make it say '3G' again? Like it matters...

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    How long before there is a hack in Cydia to make it say '3G' again? Like it matters...
    Just go change the image file Doh

The only True 4G is LTE-A. LTE is not capable of reaching the definition of True 4G thus does not meet the requirements to be called 4G IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rpjr View Post
    The only True 4G is LTE-A. LTE is not capable of reaching the definition of True 4G thus does not meet the requirements to be called 4G IMO.
    Ahh.. but the "definition" that you are relying on just changed:

Quote Originally Posted by December 2010
    ...the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) loosened its definition of 4G to include LTE, WiMax, and HSPA+.

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,' although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed," the ITU said a statement.
    Evolution of an iPhone User:
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

Guess they only changed the symbol for ATT. I am on a HSPA+ network and it still says 3G.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast