+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The New iPhoto App for iOS Doesn't Use Google Maps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The New iPhoto App for iOS Doesn't Use Google Maps

The process of Geotagging our photographs has now become a very common drill for people taking pictures to share with other people. Geotagging lets us see where and when a photograph was taken. iPhoto for the Mac supports Geotagging and allows us to share that personal information with the people we send our photos to. The location of where the photograph was taken will then be shown on a Google Map.

Today, Apple announced, demonstrated, and released iPhoto for iOS into the App Store – compatible with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch running iOS 5.1 (also released today). iPhoto for iOS will allow us to Geotag and view the Geotagging of our photographs that we take on the go, however it doesn’t appear to be using Google Maps to show us information about our photographs anymore.

We are aware that a while ago Apple purchased two major mapping companies – C3 Technologies and Placebase. These companies were supposed to have proven useful to Apple as they attempt to dominate the computing world without relying on competitors to make the iOS device lineup great. The absence of Google Maps, which still powers the Maps application for now, in the iOS iPhoto application shows us that Apple has not been slacking on their plans to create their own interfaces.

The maps used in the screenshots above are obviously not of Google Maps and are taken from the iOS iPhoto application. Ironically, iPhoto for Mac OS X still uses Google Maps to show us the information about our Geotagged photographs. It is not yet known what Apple plans to do with this mapping technology, whether they plan to bring it to the Mac or integrate it into the Maps application. If Apple does bring these mapping technologies to iOS and OS X then Google will have more competition to worry about as Apple brings their finalizing touch to the digital mapping world as they have with many other services such as voice dictation.

Sources: MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Those are really ugly maps. Apple should have a more aesthetically pleasing set before dumping the pretty good google maps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Those are really ugly maps. Apple should have a more aesthetically pleasing set before dumping the pretty good google maps.
    I think they look better than Google Maps to be honest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I think they look better than Google Maps to be honest.
    I do too, looks a lot cooler I think, that's probably the reason they added them to iPhoto before Maps.app so they could see people's reactions to it, and work out bugs and stuff.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^^ I do like this map style. In the era of "post-modern / high tech" styles, these "vintage" feel like a breath of fresh air.
    But it's a matter of personal "IMO's", nothing more.
    Last edited by dennder; 03-08-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: two comments added before mine

Thanks

Personally I like the way google maps looks better, sorry but I'm being honest not a fanboy :/ me like google maps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    ^^ I do like this map style. In the era of "post-modern / high tech" styles, these "vintage" feel like a breath of fresh air.
    But it's a matter of personal "IMO's", nothing more.
    Yes, they are quite "vintage" looking. The style/colors remind me of old atlases and paper maps. Not really my style, but it doesn't bother me.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

That is fugly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't mind the street map picture but I'm not big on the other one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

I find it very pleasing and pulling off a mellow feel that doesn't sting the eye IMHO

Thanks

I just think it gives it a more homey touch.

Thanks

Right so does anyone know how long before th App Store patch that always come along to trick it into thinking we're running the latest fw will take so I can actually try this...

I've got to admit the maps do look nice imo. How long do you think before an appstore patch like xcon or something is out to trick the appstore into thinking we are running 5.1 fw so I can actually try iphoto...
    Last edited by aidanharris; 03-08-2012 at 02:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak? Karlanthonyuk's Avatar
    Thanks

You font need a patch. Open ifile and go to system/library/core service and make a copy of SystemVersion.plist to SystemVersion1.plist now open the original with list view and change build to 9B176 and version to 5.1 close. Open settings then close it and also in multitask jobdone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karlanthonyuk View Post
    You font need a patch. Open ifile and go to system/library/core service and make a copy of SystemVersion.plist to SystemVersion1.plist now open the original with list view and change build to 9B176 and version to 5.1 close. Open settings then close it and also in multitask jobdone
    Just looking around some of the other blog posts I can see people have suggested this. I'm not a novice and have alwaysknown that such plists exist just want to be careful with what I'm doing that's all. Any how thanks for the suggestion will give it a go

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think they look cool, although it's like dennder said, it's IMO. I like modern looks too but we will have to wait and see what Apple does to the Maps at the end.